Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

anyone playing DoomRL?

this.

Need some tips; finished it on I'm too young to die, but can't beat episode 3 on Not too rough. I've figured out a decent shotgun build (hell-runner + reload + shottyman), I've got semi-decent at circle-strafing / hugging the corners, but shit like mancubus / archvile combos keep on killing me.

shotgun ammo really gets tight mid-episode as well, but I'm loathe to give up rockets and plasma to carry more shotgun shells. Advice plz.

I thought this was about playing Doom in RL :-(

I would, but I am a bit worried about that whole healing and respawning part. Also, I am not sure I can run at 25 mph while carrying 100 kg of stuff, and perform wallruns at 45 mph.

I play DoomRL a lot. If you are curious about my build, I play as the Scout class, I usually can get both levels of Intuition by the time I reach Hell's Arena. I get both Reloader traits, then, I get the Shotty Man trait with it.

does starting by building intuition help more than reloader? Because I can't imagine dealing with the cacodemons in Hell's Arena without my beloved shottyman auto-reload thing.

The marine's Ammochain trait is pretty kickass in episode 3, since you can load up with red armor and health packs, and you only need one ammo box for dealing everything. And you are blessed if you can find Minigun (fires eight bullets, and has huge ammo capacity, 200) or Laser rifle (excellent accuracy.)

Intuition can be useful when investing second rank. With that, you should see enemies out from your vision range, and deal them pre-emptively with rocket launcher or get into cover, or whatever you want. And it also tells what switches do and shows the power-ups.

I play it from time to time. I've only given "Hey, Not Too Rough" a serious try, so I haven't gotten farther than killing the Cyberdemon with a thermal bomb (and in turn killing myself).

darknation said:

does starting by building intuition help more than reloader? Because I can't imagine dealing with the cacodemons in Hell's Arena without my beloved shottyman auto-reload thing.

Heh, I can't imagine going through Hell's Arena without Intuiton to know where the Caco's are instead of blindly shooting. I can usually get Shottyman by the time I reach the Barons at the end of episode 1.

Intuiton is of the most useful traits in my opinion.

ok, played through a couple of games using intuition. It does make shooting from behind a wall a viable tactic, though perhaps a bit dull for me; I was really caught up with the notion of a roguelike in which you can circle-strafe.

But that was getting me killed so heh and fail.

Phobos Anomaly kicked the crap out of me though - I had no reliable way of killing the "lol lost soul ambush" and wasn't quick enough to run away.

Then again, I was wearing green armour because I've got a speed point fetish. Is the speed trade-off for wearing red armour really that much of a big deal?

darknation said:

ok, played through a couple of games using intuition. It does make shooting from behind a wall a viable tactic, though perhaps a bit dull for me; I was really caught up with the notion of a roguelike in which you can circle-strafe.

But that was getting me killed so heh and fail.

Phobos Anomaly kicked the crap out of me though - I had no reliable way of killing the "lol lost soul ambush" and wasn't quick enough to run away.

Then again, I was wearing green armour because I've got a speed point fetish. Is the speed trade-off for wearing red armour really that much of a big deal?

I don't think so, then again, I haven't experimented much that kind of thing, the Lost Souls could outrun you pretty easily, so I don't think it's worth it. If I find a phase device I'll use it to warp me past the ambush, it doesn't always work, but it's good to try. The ambush is harder then the actual bosses of that level...

Magnetick said:

I don't think so, then again, I haven't experimented much that kind of thing, the Lost Souls could outrun you pretty easily, so I don't think it's worth it. If I find a phase device I'll use it to warp me past the ambush, it doesn't always work, but it's good to try. The ambush is harder then the actual bosses of that level...

yeah, dumped the green armour for the red armour for the duration of the ambush and survived quite handily. Dumped the (now wrecked) red armour and back into my speedsuit, killed the barons (stupidly easy thanks to intuition) and now happily murdering my way through episode 2.

this game fucking rules.

Currently level 6. (2 intuition, 2 reload, shottyman, hellrunner). Planning on one more hellrunner and then I might work my way towards badass to get the extra health I'll need to survive episode three.

weeem, double post.

just giving a shout out for anyone who is pissed off playing not too rough.

the difficulty level between hmp and ntp does not go up as much as it does between the previous level. It's challenging before an hour in so you don't have to wait between games for shit to get real.

go get some.