Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bad Luck Ranger

Vultures in Hades Chapter Two.

For those who haven't read the first chapter it's in the forums under a similar thread heading.

Doom: Vultures of Hades.
Chapter Two.

Browning should have listened to his presentiment, he had a gut feeling on the way to the Phobos base but when he mentioned this to McKinley she just laughed. They landed just a few yards from the Hanger, the entrance door was slightly jammed and it appeared to have seen better days. The place felt sinister and foreboding and finally McKinley was on the same wavelength as Browning. Nervously he tended to the straps of his Rebreather helmet.
"Stop that." Sharply asserted McKinley. His nervous fidgeting was making her nervous but Dawson mutely shrugged it off though even he held his Plasma Rifle tighter then before.
McKinley preyed off the locking mechanism to the door and reached for the safety release switch. The door loudly and sluggishly opened. Acrid smoke emerged from the darkened doorway. They entered; McKinley shaken from the automatic lighting jumped and gave a faint squeal. The lighting hypnotically blinked on while some of the lights were not operational. Near by computer terminals lit up as their backup reserves kicked in, each terminal whirred into life each giving out a faint fan noise.
Dawson removed his helmet and immediately choked on the dense air.
"Jesus! The smell…" He coughed out as he spat on the floor.
Browning then in turn removed his helmet but cautiously allowing himself to become familiar with the rotten air.
“Smells like a tomb… what happened here?” Questioned Browning.
Dawson reluctantly answered, “Well, this was sort of the place where…” he swallowed his pride, “where the Great War first took place.” His tone jump back into his familiar friendly pace. “But they’re all gone now!” He removed a small air humidifier from his pocket to cleanse the air.
Browning and McKinley were awe struck. Dawson began to pace the length of the room. He walked past the large double window and down into a small section of old and worn carpeting. He then paced round two large pillars.
“Christ… you two! You’ve got nothing to worry about.” He snapped.
McKintyre retired to his quarters, Myers was on graveyard duty. This duty entails the person to stay on guard by the communications terminal during the universal night hours. In space after all time is always in flux so after deep space travel was possible a new time scale was devised thus for every parsec beyond the Strogg system a certain amount of hours were appended. Dawson, McKinley and Browning had agreed to stay on the Phobos base during the figurative night time though it made no real difference apart from the natural fatigue that the party were now experiencing.
McKintyre drifted off into sleep with his book in his hand unaware that Myers was also heedlessly falling asleep at the terminal.
The party on the surface had arranged that they would start the Scavenge in the morning, McKinley and Browning both felt that at least one of them should stay on guard during the night.
Dawson smirked though hiding his anxiety. But Browning insisted so Dawson back downed. If he wants to stay awake all night hunting for spooks it’s up to him, thought Dawson as he unravelled his mattress, McKinley did the very same.
An hour passed and boredom was getting the better of the big cook. Browning had already eaten his rations and now decided to venture down one of the corridors. In view there were two, one to the left of him that led to an elevated observation deck. Nothing but an empty weapons locker and a busted computer terminal. But at his feet were two remains, both skeletal indicating that they had been there a very long time. Judging from the bones they appeared to be human. One of them was clutching a shotgun; Browning smirked as he picked up the ancient weapon. The remains didn’t shock him at all as he already knew what had happened here but none the less it still made him anxious. He strode down the other corridor that lay north of the entrance door. The corridor ended with a large industrial door and the opening mechanism had burnt out long before. Instead he crouched through an open maintenance hatch and into a large room it appeared to be a briefing room for new personnel. There were several security link ups and connected monitors, a figure stalked past one of the cameras but Browning had just missed it. Underneath each monitor clearly labelled were the names of other departments; “Toxin Refinery”, “Command Control”, “Central Processing” the list continued though most were not in operation. One of the working monitors caught his eye it was of another landing pad. A ship occupied the space; a new vessel commissioned just the year before, it was a UAC research ship. Browning headed directly for Dawson and McKinley. UAC forces were on the Phobos base.

This story certainly has potential. Keep it up.

Hey, they'll be plenty of twists and I hope people (other than you dsm hehehe) enjoy the rather graphic scene in the next chapter.
BTW, I don't know if other people do what I do but my method of writing goes as follows.
* Write a two chapters.
* Submit one of them.
* Write another chapter and send in the previous one.
And so on and so on. It works for me and it also allows myself a cushion incase of the dreaded writer's block.
dsm: - I hope that when I finish my series it'll be added to your fan fic index (hint, hint).

Bad Luck Ranger said:

dsm: - I hope that when I finish my series it'll be added to your fan fic index (hint, hint).

Oh shit, I haven't put it up yet?
/Me updates index.
That index is far from complete, but as of yet, I don't have time to go out and search for all the stories.

To everyone reading this: There's nobody stopping you from adding an index entry yourself - just make sure you do it the same way I do it: start with writing e.g. "Bad Luck Ranger's stories:" in bold AND underline, under that write (in this case where we're dealing with a multi-part story) "Vultures in Hades" in bold and under that, post the links to each chapter - simple.