Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

finally

I agree with Zaldron. And PC architecture as a whole is completely gay. If we abandoned backwards compatibility and created new standards based on modern knowledge, we would get cheaper and more efficient computers.

Zaldron said:

Lets not even talk about motherboards as a whole.

Even if the motherboard only had one built-in source of Memory (fuck hard drives, ram, cache, etc., just ONE SOURCE), it would still be able to run all the software like Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc.

Lüt said:

Lag in menus and slow loading programs, primarily. You ever try to open that "explorer bar" menu in 98? It's got 6 selections, without icons by any of them, and it takes like 5 seconds to load, the rest of the menus and mouse are frozen while it's hung up trying to load that silly thing. Then the start menu is considerably slower, a few other menus are nuts and cleaning the recent documents takes about 5 times as long as well. Probably cause 95 was pure, 98+ had Internet Explorer built into the core.

There's plenty others besides that but those spring to mind at the moment.

Explorer bar? Not sure what you mean. Does that have something to do with active desktop? I don't use that, never have. My start menu is set to no animation so selections pop up instantaneously. Internet Explorer loads much faster as do many other programs (Winamp, for one loads at least ten times as fast. Used to take almost five seconds with my old Win95 installation). I also gained performance with my network. Not only local file transfer speed, but increased stability and snappier internet too. Over all, I get a general feel of increased speed with Win 98 over '95b.

stphrz said:

Explorer bar? Not sure what you mean. Does that have something to do with active desktop?

No, god no... man I should censor that phrase from the forums.

"Explorer Bar" is a menu under "View" in IE, I think it popped up elsewhere in Windows too, maybe just typical folder options.

stphrz said:

My start menu is set to no animation so selections pop up instantaneously.

Well, yeah, it's supposed to be instantaneous, but it's slower loading all the program icons, especially when you get a folder of 20 or more, you see it go down the list one-by-one loading them instead of 95b's instant pop-up.

stphrz said:

Internet Explorer loads much faster as do many other programs (Winamp, for one loads at least ten times as fast. Used to take almost five seconds with my old Win95 installation).

Heh man you must have screwed up your 95 somewhere along the line.

Not only was Winamp faster in it, but it didn't stutter and skip when doing other things, like in 98. For example, I always played ZDoom @ 800x600 with Winamp playing, or at least tried to. In 98, the music would make consistent long pauses every 3-5 seconds. In 95, there wasn't a single skip, ever. Same ZDoom version, same Winamp version, same settings on each. That was probably my favorite asset 95 had over 98.

stphrz said:

I also gained performance with my network.

WELL IF MINE WOULD EVER WORK I'D BE ABLE TO GIVE A COMPARISON THERE TOO.

But internet uploads/downloads were the same as usual, that's ISP-based though.

Weedster said:

Lüt...you basically described my problems with 98SE.

That's all the problems you ever had? Lucky you.

Fredrik said:

ME is the worst though :p

Heh, don't even get me started.

I used to have a shitload of bookmarks to every professional review on the internet saying how bad ME was, half them don't work now, shoulda saved the pages when I first found them :(

No need to "prove" that it's gay. Just boot it up (yeah, good luck), and see for yourself :P

Hmmmm, we have ME on one of our computers at home...I never use it though, because it's not mine (another one of my mom's computers).

Well, i tried ME when i was horribly overrun by virii on a LAN party..

Five minutes later:
c:\>Format c:_

I had no problems with 98 really.. Sure, it was a bit slow and stuff, but i generally liked it better than 95. I can't remember why, it's been way too long since then. But it did run for two years without problems, and then i swapped to w2k. Going from 98 to win2k allowed me to burn CD's in 4 minutes like i should, unlike the 8-10 minutes it took in 98.

c:\>Format c:

When dealing with Windows 98, you think about that every 30 minutes.

DiSTuRBeD said:

Going from 98 to win2k allowed me to burn CD's in 4 minutes like i should, unlike the 8-10 minutes it took in 98.

So it somehow made your 4x drive into an 8x drive or something? It must really be a miracle system =)

Lüt said:

So it somehow made your 4x drive into an 8x drive or something? It must really be a miracle system =)

Sudden change of settings, rather :P

Win98's runnin fine for me. Then again all I do is make DOOM levels, play Quake3, and hang out on DOOM forums. Have to reboot to get the sound to work in Millenium though... :-p

Lüt said:

No, but win98 apparently didn't handle feeding my 24x properly. I had a buffer underrun every couple of seconds with 98, none with win2k.

But win2k DID turn my cpu from a duron 750 to a P4 2,5g... :P

DiSTuRBeD said:

No, but win98 apparently didn't handle feeding my 24x properly. I had a buffer underrun every couple of seconds with 98, none with win2k.

AHA.

Heh yeah, I'm still in the days of 4X burning. If I hadn't gotten this free burner from work over a year ago I'd still have a 2X external which can't even write 80-minute CDs.

Doesn't make too much difference though, usually I never burn at over 2X anyway, and use 1X whenever possible.

Still, in 98 you had to burn from a clean reboot with no other programs having been run if you were gonna burn properly - and NEVER do a single thing while it's actually burning.

Fredrik said:

ME is the worst though :p

"I am the worst, though"

You need to work on your english, fredrik :p

fraggle` said:

You need to work on your english, fredrik :p

"ME" is an abbreviation for "Millennium Edition" in this case =]

SlayeR said:

Heh, everyone tells me winME sucks, but it works fine for me.

Yeah, it's not so bad. Only problem's are DOS programs sound's, and occasional crashings when quitting from EDGE and ZdoomGL.

The only problem I have with M.E. is that it seems not to like my cheapo SB Live! card. Sound in games (especially OpenGL) crackles like mad. It's kinda annoying, although it only happens in games that don't run smoothly (like new(er) games, ZDoomGL, Winamp's AVS on high resolution, etc). I want to try XP, and see if it's M.E. that's screwing up the sound, or something else...

SlayeR said:

I want to try XP, and see if it's M.E. that's screwing up the sound, or something else...

If you have a PCI soundcard, you can expect that kind of crackling. All the PCs I've ever worked on, whether running 98, ME, 2000 or XP, will have those kind of problems with PCI soundcards. It's usually due to the cards directly using motherboard resources instead of their own, like ISA cards do. You have to have a hell of a beefy system to avoid crackling, and good luck if you've got more than 1 or 2 programs running, even on a good system.

Of course, this is barring any PCI soundcards made within the last 7 or 8 months (haven't worked with any since then). There could be better cards available that don't have this problem, but none that I'm aware of (yet).