Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Tell us about Doom Facts/Trivia/Interesting Stuff.

Tell us about cool or interesting stuff about doom, like did you know that the cacodemon is based off the face of the monster on the cover of the Dungeons and dragons manual of planes?

Did you know there already are plenty of still active Doom trivia/facts/confession threads?

Oh well, if I relly gotta post a "did you know" fact, here goes: did you know that ALL projects to create high-resolution sprites for Doom so far have failed?

Jaws In Space said:

You might want to read a bit further down on that thread.

Wait, what? Is it based on the alpha intermission screen then?

Did you know that setting maxhealth to -1 in dehacked can lead to very odd effects, especially in Doom2.exe, when you pick up a health potion?

Did you know that while the DoomEd, DoomBSP combo used for official maps couldn't join sectors like community editors do, sectors with indentical properties that shared a vertex would be joined even if they shared no two-sided lines? (See the steps in E1M1's start room.)

Zed said:

Did you know that Doomguy is NOT Flynn Taggart?

That's good, for a minute there I was worried. The Doomguy's name is actually John Stalvern, he was a space marine for 14 years....

Piper Maru said:

That's good, for a minute there I was worried. The Doomguy's name is actually John Stalvern, he was a space marine for 14 years....

Did you know that the doom guy is actually supposed to be "you".
It really felt cool that this marine was actually suppose to be you fighting your way through hell.

Grazza said:

Did you know that setting maxhealth to -1 in dehacked can lead to very odd effects, especially in Doom2.exe, when you pick up a health potion?

What happens??

Did you know that there's two lightposts in E1M3 near the blue key that are present in ITYTD, HNTR and HMP, not not present in UV and NM!?

Obsidian said:

8-0

Stan Blaskowitz then?

Piper Maru said:

Doominator2 said:

Did you know that the doom guy is actually supposed to be "you".
It really felt cool that this marine was actually suppose to be you fighting your way through hell.

Well, according to...

...John Romero: It's you.
...The Doom Bible: Buddy Dacote
...The Doom Novels: Flynn Taggart
...The Doom Movie: John Grimm a.k.a. Reaper
...Doom II RPG: Stan Blazkowicz
...The Doom 3 Novels: John Kane

I don't know about you, but I think J. Romero's option is the "legit" one.

FTM said:

What happens??

I think he's talking about zombie players.

Did you know two other marines are dying on the Doom titlescreen?

In the Doom boxart, did you know that the cyberdemon-like monster at the foot of Doomguy seems to pointing the gun at his crotch.

Did you know that if you play all the way through Doom II without saving/loading the game, the sky never changes from the sky shown in the first level?

Zed said:

...The Doom Bible: Buddy Dacote

Nope! Buddy Dacote is the guy that Dies At Conclusion Of This Episode. He's always been intended as a pure NPC, never meant to be the player. The Doom Bible says that you are your choice of one out of four characters: Lorelei Chen, John “Petro” Pietrovich, Dimitri Paramo, or Thi Barrett. The bible also had a short list of other names if needed for some purpose: Roland Trague, Warren Apisa, Taradina Cassatt, Melanie “Butch” Bucelli, Janella Sabando.

Tom Hall recycled many of them for Rise of the Triad, with some changes: Thi Barrett remained unchanged, Taradino Cassatt had a gender change, Lorelei Ni used to only ever be called Chen, Doug Wendt and Ian Paul Freeley are new names.

Trick question - Who of the two marines, the one in the back or the second one in the centre, is THE doomguy in this picture?

Trick answer - Neither. You can see doomguy's pistol at the botton of the picture near id logo, which supports the idea that doomguy is actually you.

j4rio said:

You can see doomguy's pistol.

I dunno, it looks a lot like the same thing attached to the demon's arm right in front of the foreground marine

Interesting. The way that the demon in the bottom-left corner is depicted - with its attention trained in the way that it is - always suggested to me that the scene is intended as being represented as from the point of view of someone that's also involved in the scene (a trick used by many painters). I'd never noticed the weapon at the bottom before, but it certainly enhances the effect. I guess it's an open whether question whether it's a marine or a demon, though.

Crasger said:

Did you know two other marines are dying on the Doom titlescreen?

Take a good look at this composite shot (from top to bottom - trooper, sergeant & marine), to my eye the right-side title screen "marine" is a trooper.

BTW - I'm starting to worry about your obsession with Doomguy's crotch. :P

Gez said:

Nope! Buddy Dacote is the guy that Dies At Conclusion Of This Episode. He's always been intended as a pure NPC, never meant to be the player. The Doom Bible says that you are your choice of one out of four characters: Lorelei Chen, John “Petro” Pietrovich, Dimitri Paramo, or Thi Barrett. The bible also had a short list of other names if needed for some purpose: Roland Trague, Warren Apisa, Taradina Cassatt, Melanie “Butch” Bucelli, Janella Sabando.

Tom Hall recycled many of them for Rise of the Triad, with some changes: Thi Barrett remained unchanged, Taradino Cassatt had a gender change, Lorelei Ni used to only ever be called Chen, Doug Wendt and Ian Paul Freeley are new names.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that Buddy Dacote was not the Doom guy. Now there is no doubt that they took his back story, but I would say that Dimiri Paramo is the most likely candidate for the Doom guy, but even that is a bit of a stretch.