Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
plums

List of texture differences between Doom and Doom 2

I posted this in another thread, but this will give it some more attention.

I'm looking for a list of textures from Doom which are missing or changed in Doom 2. I could make one myself without too much trouble, but I figured something like this must exist already. Bonus points if it contains Plutonia and Evilution, and patch differences as well.

I have a spreadsheet somewhere which lists patches and textures (amongst other stuff) for Doom v1.2 onwards, I don't think it goes so far as to note patch differences in textures.

That might help, if it's not too difficult to dig up.

By patch differences, I meant something like patches in Doom not in Doom 2 or vice-versa. For instance, Doom 1 has the MIDVINE1 texture but Doom 2 doesn't, even though they both have the patch W106_1 which is the only patch in that texture.

plums said:

By patch differences, I meant something like patches in Doom not in Doom 2 or vice-versa.

That it should have. I'll dig it out later in the day when I'm a little more awake.

Much appreciated, thanks.

Also I'm going to take this space to say how ridiculous it is that SWxBRN1/SWxSTARG/SWxSTON2/SWxSTONE in Doom 2 are just copies of SWxBRCOM, when the patches for the Doom 1 versions of those textures are all there.

Here you go - it's in Open Document format since I'm a cheap bastard who uses OpenOffice, I've also included a list of flats at no extra charge. ;-)

You'll see the occasional cell comment for patches and textures with dimensions that differ from the norm. Since there's only a few differences between the Doom 1.2/Doom 1.666+/Ult. Doom columns, you could reduce the size of the spreadsheet by noting those differences as cell comments then delete the redundant columns.

I'm both a cheap bastard and open source nerd, so .ods is perfect. Thanks a lot!

There exist at least two Doom-in-Doom-2 texture packs that I am aware of: d1gfxd2.zip by SargeBaldy (which is in /idgames) and njtex by Enjay (which is not, and for which I can't find a working URL; but it was slightly better than the former for some reason I failed to note down)

plums said:

Much appreciated, thanks.

Also I'm going to take this space to say how ridiculous it is that SWxBRN1/SWxSTARG/SWxSTON2/SWxSTONE in Doom 2 are just copies of SWxBRCOM, when the patches for the Doom 1 versions of those textures are all there.

I already said it for posterity on the wiki.

Well, another fun fact, SW1STARG is unused in all versions of the Doom IWAD except 1.0. It was used for the original switch to raise the nukage hole in E1M3's outdoor area, before the switch was put into the hole itself.