Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Is that SSG area on map1 even accessible? I found switch to teleport room and see button in distance behind metal bars but won't trigger if I shot it. Not that important as I'm on map2 again.

Yes, it is. I'm the reason that SSG is there :p

Hopefully Kyka fixed the way back, because when that SSG was moved there, when you got it you were trapped

Music from second map is awesome, feels like music from TNT map07 Prison mixed with map11 Storage Facillity and despite readme, looks like map02 in demo is called Gray Sector, not Sand. I will admit: the levels are suprising and free to exploration, just when you thought the room and theme you are currently in is final one, something new is open somewhere else, and continues in next location again and again, but it never gets boring or repetitive, every area is unique still being connected with other parts of map. That's what I know from Evilution but in more fluid variety.

GBT3, that button isn't a shoot switch, you have to find your way to it from another way. You have to find two separate secrets to get the super shotty that early.

And Ragnor, yeah I did fix it. :)

Oh wow, that is EXACTLY what I envisioned when I sent that PM. Thanks for that, Whoo, stick this beauty on Map 1 please :D

Anyone else agree? I requested a track to connect TNT's last map and the beginning of Devilution, as its a direct continuation. A bridge between the two if you will.

Damn it why did my area get rebrowned? There was a lot of silver mixed with blue in the original TNT plus it added to the character of my area and helped it contrast with the rest of the map. Oh well, it was still an honor taking part in the project so thanks for that.

Not entirely. From what I've seen of Kyka's maps he tends to go with an overall map-wide colour theme. Map 4 (Map 2 in the demo) is a good example, as was the original version of Map 29. "Consistency" is generally the overarching feel I get. It does look a bit off at times though, a few parts of the green 29 looked really bad in my eyes but fine when red and brown for the hell look.

I really enjoyed the look of Map 2 (Map 1 of the demo), is there any pictures of this old look?

DeathevokatioN said:

Damn it why did my area get rebrowned? There was a lot of silver mixed with blue in the original TNT plus it added to the character of my area and helped it contrast with the rest of the map. Oh well, it was still an honor taking part in the project so thanks for that.

We aren't done and it is still a beta, so we can continue to make changes. In the end what I did is used the earlier version that I had worked on and sent back to you, and copied the changes from your newer version into it. The map you sent back had some broken bits, and one of the secrets was busted. It was easier to do it this way as I did not want to have to redo the massive amount of realignments, visiplane checks, playtesting and general balancing over again. And I did keep the majority of your suggested changes.

-Much of your textural changes have been incorporated. Notice the ICKWALL, the blue and silver insets, the gray ceilings and floors that were in your version, the grey STARTAN etc.
-I put in the rocket launcher at the end of the level.
-Removed my 'doubled in size' area. (Well made it a secret), so it is not a part of the progression, as you were not a big fan of that area.

I know the browned up area you are referring to, and we can grey that up more as well seeing as you are not happy with it.

It is an awesome map and you and Darkreaver have done a beautiful thing with it.

Avoozl said:

Well it seems someone has a fetish for brown lol.

Yeah there is probably some truth in this. Not sure 'fetish' is the word I would use, but when in doubt, I am finding increasingly I go for browns and reds. (Not gay and not political.)

Ragnor said:

Not entirely. From what I've seen of Kyka's maps he tends to go with an overall map-wide colour theme. Map 4 (Map 2 in the demo) is a good example, as was the original version of Map 29. "Consistency" is generally the overarching feel I get. It does look a bit off at times though, a few parts of the green 29 looked really bad in my eyes but fine when red and brown for the hell look.

I really enjoyed the look of Map 2 (Map 1 of the demo), is there any pictures of this old look?

Old on the left, current demo on the right.

See what you guys think.

Just played around with the demo on the maps ive previously tested, the first map is pretty much full-release worthy to me by now. Although I will say that after going through the area in the above shots, I do think the silver looks better, at the very least for the secret path.

It was great fun playing it with the midis present and the hud I saw way back in the thread's history, although I do hope that isnt the final intermission screen, I love the bloodied Doomguy one thats present in my test mapset

sky1 is beautiful. Quite wintry. I felt like i was playing a christmas-themed wad for a second there

i would vote for the right hand screenshots, because i like them more, but hey

Grain of Salt said:

sky1 is beautiful. Quite wintry. I felt like i was playing a christmas-themed wad for a second there

i would vote for the right hand screenshots, because i like them more, but hey

Sky 1 is great yeah, but Sky 2 is my one true love <3

I wonder how Map 13 aka demo map 3 looks with the wrong sky..provided it even has sky! I'll be testing this one shortly, no point playing the one in my testwad, as its likely out of date now, thanks to my laziness.

Sidenote, it'd be nice if I could merge aspects of the demo with the test one. Really like the hud and the midis. Kyka, next time you update the whole wad, please put these things in to make the tedious bits like replaying already tested stuff for the sixth time more fun :p (Also, im sending you some stuff on map 12, told you I'd get back to it today!)

It's hard to choose since Kyka's intermission screen looks a lot more fitting, but I prefer t.v's at the moment because Kyka's is a bit too red.

Marcaek said:

+1 for less brown.

For what I've seen of TNT2, that applies across the board.

What I'm likely going to end up doing soon (along with Kyka and any other mapper that has the spare time) is going through the maps and touching up the texturing to give it more of a TNT vibe.

I prefer the concept in the second screen but the first one looks better. I like the idea of it being similar to the original TNT intermission but it might be better if the marine is looking at a different view. What Whoo said basically.

Whoo, if you want any changes to Spider Colony made let me know and I'll be happy to take a look.

I think I've said this before but imo TNT-like intermission screen doesn't really work without horizon like in the original pic. Doomguy should be looking far away (epic), not staring at some nearby metal wall (dumb). Lower brightness would help too, if you look at the original picture you can see different shades on the floor, which give it more depth.

I don't like TV's one at all because I find that face repulsive to be honest.

Kyka is overlord of mapping and design in this project, but TV is better at concept arts when comes to final boss stuff, titlepic, intermission, bossback that kind of stuff. Still more difference can be added between titlepic from demo and intermission screen.

I prefer Kyka's intermission because it's close to the original TNT; and looks good... Though I there's still a yellow glow on the player when the sky is red?

Memfis said:

I think I've said this before but imo TNT-like intermission screen doesn't really work without horizon like in the original pic. Doomguy should be looking far away (epic), not staring at some nearby metal wall (dumb). Lower brightness would help too, if you look at the original picture you can see different shades on the floor, which give it more depth.

I don't like TV's one at all because I find that face repulsive to be honest.

To me hes looking into space, catching his breath in a rare moment of quiet. His ragged look is so fitting, since hes been through all of TNT and now these levels with no real rest. Its the same concept behind the awesome hud. If I had to change it though, I'd replace he blood stuff with spacish tech, I dont think E2 is that hellish.

Bucket said:

OK, so here is my attempt at "Target NeuTralized" plus "Last Call".

Title: "TiN Toker"
Length: 2m 01s
Size: 19.7 KB
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9nX-nszGzKveHRJSTVaX19xQVE/edit?usp=sharing

This is pretty cool. I like it. :)

Ragnor said:

Sidenote, it'd be nice if I could merge aspects of the demo with the test one. Really like the hud and the midis. Kyka, next time you update the whole wad, please put these things in to make the tedious bits like replaying already tested stuff for the sixth time more fun :p

You should do like I do: Just disable the in-game music and open up a music player. I've personally been looping Doom 64 tracks that I think seem suited to the current level.

Just tried the demo. There's something weird about playing these levels as an actual player instead of a tester. By the way, is it just me, or does the already monstrous MAP02 yellow key battle have even more enemies since the last time I saw it?

In regards to my intermission screen preference, I choose Kyka's old one, inspired by the original TNT's interpic. I make this decision partially because I enjoy the reference to the original TNT, but also because the new interpic looks identical to the title screen aside from the color tint and lack of the word "DEVILUTION." Using Kyka's image would offer more variety.