Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Resurgence - Boom Compatible Megawad [Final Version Released] - Idgames link up!

-Final Version-

Idgames link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/resurge.zip

(final version: updated 22nd September, 2014)(critical fix 7th October, 2014, wait for idgames reupload)

Credits to : dew, Cynical, Ribbiks, Mechadon, forty-two
esselfortium, Seele00textonly, PRIMEVAL

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Port: Boom Compatible
#Maps: 32
Progress done: Public beta

Before I say anything, I'd like to apologise for having to claim that I've 'retired' from mapping. The main reason for doing that was to effectively discipline myself to stop mapping in order to focus more on my undergraduate degree work during its vital moments. I had to go this far because I can be horrible at balancing out at life (but I guess sooner or later, I have to deal with this sort of thing..). Surely enough it did work, but since having graduated and with loads of time on my hand - as well as two reasons in particular - I've decided to finish off Surge. First reason, I was overwhelmed with mapping ideas (actually, having done some maps for Back to Saturn X has helped improve my mapping as well, which helped my ability to generate ideas and layout designs); and second reason, I decided to make up for the very rushed and sloppy release I did with Surge (you can probably thank kmxeii; his review basically made me rethink about finishing it off).

Now to the real deal. This is not merely finishing off Surge. This is an upgrade from Surge, retitled 'Resurgence'. Resurgence is a 32-map speedrun-friendly Boom compatible megawad; this megawad is basically a showcase of why I suck at Vanilla mapping. You can expect map quality to range from Scythe/Plutonia to Speed of Doom (I'd even go far to say some of the maps are better than my SoD maps). There will be several familiar Joshy-themes revisited, and there will be some maps where I go completely out of my comfort zone. Overall difficulty is somewhat easier than Speed of Doom - there will be the inevitable slaughter map, but not as prevalent as it was in episode 3 of SoD. Since there isn't 16 Darkwave0000 maps here, do not expect it to be as good as Speed of Doom; but I am hoping that when I've finished with it, it'll be a decent and enjoyable megawad in its own right.

So far, I can say progress is beyond 60%. But I will be taking my time to ensure gameplay quality/flow is at least decent, detailing/aesthetics is polished, all fillerish maps renovated. I would expect to finish this megawad within early next year, hopefully before I begin my postgraduate degree (if not, I'll have to start practising balancing life, doom, and academia!).

You will find Surge's Map02,03,06,09,10,13,14,15,16,17 in this megawad albeit with gameplay/aesthetics modifications. There will also be two maps where two Surge maps have been combined (Surge's Map04 and 05, and Map11 and 12).

There will be two new monsters, shamelessly ripped from Scythe 2: The Afrit, and the Plasma Marine. However, they have also been modified- The Afrit has the same amount HP as the Baron of Hell, and the Plasma Soldier is a lot slower, albeit still retaining its high fire rate (and a very slight increase in HP, IIRC). Because of this, there will not be an IoS map.

Now for the goodies- screenshots!
Full-sized screenies here.

Map11: Twi-lite Massacre

Map19: Quadrilateral Rampage

Map22: Mt. Katoomba

Map24: Nuclear Winter (bet you're wondering why it looks familiar)

Map21: Ravages of Time

Map27: Where the Poison Ivies Grow Wild

Map26: The Library

Map20: Waves of Darkness

P.s. To the French Doom Community, don't think I've forgotten you guys! I'll be sure to finish off my Necromantic Thirst map when I've done with this! :o)

A bit worried about many shots showing very rectangular architecture\geometry but eh, let's see how it plays first.

Yeah, you won't have time to notice geometry while dispatching platoons of cyberdemons.

Great news actually, to say I'm amazed is to say nothing. I always wanted for Surge to be worked further on, but gave up all hopes long time ago. And now this happens... splendid! Please finish this.

I quite enjoyed SoD (though I have no idea whether the maps I enjoyed were yours or not, can't be bothered to check) so I'll probably give it a try when it's ready. The only thing I don't like is the presence of Plasma Marine. Unless he's really A LOT slower than in Scythe, I expect to hate every map he's in.

Touchdown said:

I quite enjoyed SoD (though I have no idea whether the maps I enjoyed were yours or not, can't be bothered to check)

Odd numbers are Joshy's, even numbers are Darkwave's.

Unless he's really A LOT slower than in Scythe, I expect to hate every map he's in.

Hopefully I'm not saying too much here (Joshy, if you want me to GTFO of this thread, just say so), but he moves at roughly "normal" former human speed. The Plasma Trooper here is, thankfully, nothing like Mr. X.

Cynical said:

At least map31 is by Darkwave obviously but aside from this I think you're correct.

Glad you've returned to mapping, and some of the new shots seem to indicate that you've expanded your style--most past maps of yours tend to be fairly modest in scale and compact in layout, and that doesn't seem to be case for several of these. If we're picking favorite shots, I'm going to go with map 26, but of course I have something of a library fetish.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but you also have no idea how pleased I am to hear that Necromantic Thirst is still a thing....last time it was posted about here on DoomWorld, it seemed that Oxyde had decided to kill it off. And on that note, yeah, you should get Darkwave0000 to do the secret maps, or something, always a treat to see more from that dude.

Thanks all for the encouraging words :-)

I wanted to make it a surprise, but Darkwave0000 will be making a map for the Map32 secret slot. I did however make Waves of Darkness - see what I did there? ;-) - inspired by his maps.

Memfis said:

A bit worried about many shots showing very rectangular architecture\geometry but eh, let's see how it plays first.

I would have to say all the layout designs are a 'lot less' rectangular than my SoD maps, and a lot less linear I'd say. Indeed, as DotW has pointed out, I've sensed my style has changed quite a lot, and for the better too. Quadrilateral Rampage is an old-school rectangular shaped sandbox map though :P

Cynical said:

Hopefully I'm not saying too much here (Joshy, if you want me to GTFO of this thread, just say so), but he moves at roughly "normal" former human speed. The Plasma Trooper here is, thankfully, nothing like Mr. X.

* Hm, I'd say I enjoyed Darkwaves maps more, then. :) I can't remember every map but Joshy made some maps I remember complaining about, and there are at least a couple of maps by Darkwave that I really liked. I'll still give Resurgence a try, though.

* Wow, that seems like reducing his speed to as low as one can get. Not that I'm complaining. I've found the super fast marines so annoying in Scythe.

Thought I'd do an update on this project. So far, I've completed 29 maps. However, it is far from over. I am currently fixing up all the maps, and some completed maps will be given the BtSX treatment (aka extra stuff/readjustments since some gameplay/aesthetics aspects is a little sucky). And then I'll start working on the last two maps, which I won't be rushing. When all maps are finished, I will be tweaking all the co-op stuff, testing it extensively, so it'll be hell for survival players. I'd say it'll be several months at least before there's a public beta release. Darkwave0000 is also slowly working on his secret map, which is pretty exciting news.

Some shitty screenshots (they look empty and lifeless with -nomonsters, but I can assure you they are action packed):

Joshy said:
So far, I've completed 29 maps.

Wow, already ? :)
You must be some kind of machine.

Great news Josh. Can't wait for this one !

Avoozl said:

Heh, is Map22 Mt. Katoomba named after that location in NSW Australia?

Haha yup, inspired by the place itself. I even attempted to map the Three Sisters, I think I did okay heh.

This looks like quite an improvement on Surge from the screen shots, I look forwards to checking it out. Try to avoid having enemies rise out of solid floors, please :p