Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

If Doom was done today (Part 3)

(Previous versions: Part 1 / Part 2)

The thread title says it all.

If you've already seen and/or played the first two parts, you'll know exactly what to expect from the third. This time, however, I've added even more features that mock those found in modern military shooters like iron sights, limited sprint, a knife attack, and even an expanding crosshair!

I didn't create several different "editions" full of goodies like I did last year because I simply didn't have the time, but I hope that the WAD itself will make up for it and that you'll have fun with it -- maybe even laugh out loud once or twice.

Enjoy!

Download / Video Walkthrough

Haha, good work. Really like the scripting you've got here. You've done it again Chubz!

Obsidian said:

The Doomguy can't constantly run? 8-0

Heh, I wonder what happens when you put "Always Run" on.

Unfortunately, Always Run breaks it since I scripted it to detect whether or not Shift is being pressed. :-(

NOOOOOO! Not you Pepsi! Those Russians will pay!

I think Total Biscuit should make a video of this. Just for the lulz.

I hope the Call of Duty franchise lives forever just so we keep getting more of these wads.

Such a great video. You should make an entire megawad with this gameplay style. Or at least make a couple more parts so it goes up to a full Ultimate Doom chapter of 9!

o7 dog

I should mention that I don't actually play these and prefer to watch the videos instead. I thought this was going to be yet another rehash of the if quake were done today thing, but this one was actually pretty good.

I should mention that I wish you'd go easy on abusing the required DLC jokes, the achievements, and the "get back in the combat area" stuff unless you can think of ways to really knock it out of the park. But with that aside, there were a bunch of other great elements to it. I like how (it appears) that you literally can't go anywhere unless there's a waypoint telling you that's where you need to go. I also liked how the pistol was literally useless without aiming down the sights, the unrealistically convenient objects to take cover behind, the completely scripted bossbattle sequence, the product placement, and especially the phoned in emotional parts. Haha! who gives a shit about that dog?

If I could make a suggestion, instead of the "return to the combat area" (does any game actually do that?) I would just put a giant pile of fallen debris and fire, or an obnoxious stack of crates blocking any place the player might want to explore. That's a thing I've observed in a lot of modern shooters to keep players on track.

Figure out a way to use dubstep-like music in your fight scenes too.

Overall though, very nicely done!

I thought the DLC joke this time was quite well done. That marble area was the one bit of map that really stood out, to increase curiosity, only to find that to go through the door, you require the DLC.
Like dew said, the imprisoned pepsi machine was hilarious.
This needs the mockaward

does any game actually do that?

Yes, SOCOM 3 did it. There's plenty of others, but I can't name any right now. I don't play enough of modern games.
It's probably the only aspect that probably isn't such a huge problem, though I wouldn't say it's out of place here.
Call of Duty: Finest Hour's "E1M7" did have an Easter egg which involved driving the tank quite a significant distance from the actual level itself.

This series is the only reason I get excited whenever a new Call Of Duty is announced. This parody series just keeps on getting better and better. The part with the DLC tomb actually made me feel angry due to my abhorrent hatred of DLC content in modern games. Some bits such as the "dead pepsi" in the jail cell and the overly drawn out introduction of the blur sphere made me laugh out loud. Overall, great job Chubbz!

I lost it at "Don't black out on me, you hardcore motherfucker!" Also, the dog in the cell during the dream sequence, priceless!

This was really funny, great work!

I'm watching the videos. I'm laughing so hard.

Hats off to you, kind sir. You point fingers so accurately.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

One minor problem I had was that I don't have a key configured for crouch because I use crouch toggle rather than crouch-hold. It took me a moment to realise that the QT event wasn't working because I needed to go to the menu and configure a key for crouch-hold.

This is clearly a next-gen triple A title, all dark and edgy, with immersive choices and consequences for the mature gamer! You don't play IDWDT III, you live it!

...That being said; it was horrible (which is a good thing)! My favourite moment has got to be the Pepsi dispenser (especially when it's behind bars).

I also like to thank you for your great doombuilder youtube tutorials. They've been a great help. Also, how come you haven't made any more (serious) doom wads? I've played your E1 replacement, the crate maze, and the hell level, and I enjoyed them all, but I can't seem to find any others.

//Olroda

Just fantastic!

It was just so cringe worthy and yet I had to keep watching, it was cheesy as hell!

Favorite points :-
Pistol was crap unless you used iron sites
Hipster award for killing an enemy without ion sites
Convenient cover objects
Not being able to move out the combat area
The emotional dog moment...not lol
The frustrating pausing while you had to follow a story that was supposed to make things feel epic
Vending machine in jail.....simply classic moment
The scripted boss fight....it almost wanted to make me cry......nearly all games do this now

With modern graphics I think this is pretty much what Doom 4 is going to be like, I'm freaking out with excitement!

40oz said:

I should mention that I don't actually play these and prefer to watch the videos instead. I thought this was going to be yet another rehash of the if quake were done today thing, but this one was actually pretty good.

I should mention that I wish you'd go easy on abusing the required DLC jokes, the achievements, and the "get back in the combat area" stuff unless you can think of ways to really knock it out of the park. But with that aside, there were a bunch of other great elements to it. I like how (it appears) that you literally can't go anywhere unless there's a waypoint telling you that's where you need to go. I also liked how the pistol was literally useless without aiming down the sights, the unrealistically convenient objects to take cover behind, the completely scripted bossbattle sequence, the product placement, and especially the phoned in emotional parts. Haha! who gives a shit about that dog?

If I could make a suggestion, instead of the "return to the combat area" (does any game actually do that?) I would just put a giant pile of fallen debris and fire, or an obnoxious stack of crates blocking any place the player might want to explore. That's a thing I've observed in a lot of modern shooters to keep players on track.

Figure out a way to use dubstep-like music in your fight scenes too.

Overall though, very nicely done!

Excellent suggestions, especially with crates and random objects blocking progress rather than invisible walls and "Return to the Combat Area" zones. I'll keep those in mind if I do another one!

invictius said:

What's the BGM at around 4:31? Sounds like something from Deus Ex. Can't quite put my finger on it.

It has a Deus Ex vibe to it, no doubt about that.

The song's name is "Rare Earth Elements," from the Call of Duty: Black Ops II soundtrack.