Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Super Typhoon Haiyan about to hit the Philippines

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/western-pacific/2013/tropical-storm-Haiyan?map=5day
Mother nature is seriously pissed. With mean wind speeds of 315KPH (almost 196mph, gusting to 230-235mph), this is the strongest typhoon, cyclone or hurricane in recorded history.
My thoughts go out to all of those still in the Philippines who are about to get flattened.
Probably add some news articles after the event.

I think it's safe to say that the Philippines is in deep shit.
What with all the conflicts this entire year.
The 'Pork Barrel' scam, the Muslim Militants, Sabah, the 7.2 earthquake, and now... Haiyan.

What went wrong? I just feel that someone messed up somewhere.

There were three other typhoons that slammed the Philippines this year too, I think Utor was a super typhoon also. So yeah, they can't catch a break.

Really sucks for me. I used to live in the Philippines for four or five years before moving to the US, and I know that storms over there are really strong and damaging.

Bad news. 3 People dead, 700,000 affected, 125,000 of those evacuated. I hope it will be over soon.

Zed said:

Bad news. 3 People dead, 700,000 affected, 125,000 of those evacuated. I hope it will be over soon.

All things considered, those statistics aren't too bad, yet.

Shadow Hog said:

700,000 affected is pretty bad.

3 dead, while tragic, is surprisingly low.

Geez, 700k is a huge number. My prayers go out to those affected. But you are right, 3 is incredibly low. Are they expecting that number to rise? I know in general during/after large storms it takes them some time to sift through everything and they tend to find more casualties along the way.

EDIT: 100 Deaths, and I assume rising unfortunately

I'm also concerned over tidal waves after reading couple of books how they effect nuclear power plants, 25m high wave applies 60kN pressure per square metre. That's some serious power

Hurricyclone said:

There were three other typhoons that slammed the Philippines this year too, I think Utor was a super typhoon also. So yeah, they can't catch a break.

Really sucks for me. I used to live in the Philippines for four or five years before moving to the US, and I know that storms over there are really strong and damaging.

How does this suck for you when you aren't living there anymore?

Crasger said:

Well, now it's headed for Vietnam, or somewhere nearby China.

It's almost over.

Just reminds me that we're just on the universe's ride for an incredibly short speck of time, and the Earth could not give 2 shits that we're here. We're just witnessing it all in motion. Earth used to be covered in highly acidic oceans, and before that, was a giant lava land. What goes on now is kiddie stuff, but still, highly destructive.

How does this suck for you when you aren't living there anymore?

The majority of my family still lives there, genius.

Granted, I don't talk to most of my family often nowadays (except on Skype) but since I was practically raised by my aunt (who lives in Luzon) I really hope that she's okay. I know Luzon didn't get the worst but they certainly had some hard winds in that area.

Hurricyclone said:

my aunt (who lives in Luzon)
I know Luzon didn't get the worst but they certainly had some hard winds in that area.

If she's in NCR, it wasn't that bad. If she's lives in CALABARZON or anywhere near that area, I think they had some hard rains over there. If it's Northern or Central Luzon, there were probably barely any rains at all.

Since I live in NCR, there were barely any rains, but the winds came in strong gusts. In fact, further into the day, the weather began to clear and it's as hot and sunny as ever right now.

darknation said:

as predicted, Super Haiyan did in fact go over 9000.

It was only a matter of time before someone would say this.

Hurricyclone said:

The majority of my family still lives there, genius.

Granted, I don't talk to most of my family often nowadays (except on Skype) but since I was practically raised by my aunt (who lives in Luzon) I really hope that she's okay. I know Luzon didn't get the worst but they certainly had some hard winds in that area.

When you say you and you don't mean yourself that seems really selfish. I whole heartedly sympathize with you on that most of your family is still there, but phrase it differently. Work on that grammar.

Platinum Shell said:

When you say you and you don't mean yourself that seems really selfish. I whole heartedly sympathize with you on that most of your family is still there, but phrase it differently. Work on that grammar.

Holy shit, look at the size of that high horse! And not even the strongest recorded typhoon of all times could knock you off!

darknation said:

...really hope I'm right about this atheist thing because I laughed waaaay to hard at that.

Well excuse me for not having English as my first language.

And I wouldn't be selfish towards my family at all.

Hurricyclone said:

Well excuse me for not having English as my first language.

And I wouldn't be selfish towards my family at all.

Read it again. It's all about sentence structure.

darknation said:

Stay classy darknation

Who cares about your fucking sentence structure? And anyways, his family could've been hit by a massive tornado and it doesn't suck for him?

What the fuck?!

dew said:

Who cares about your fucking sentence structure? And anyways, his family could've been hit by a massive tornado and it doesn't suck for him?

What the fuck?!

Agreed, it didn't need to be said here.

Anyway, it's a real tragedy when the death toll is over 9000 (I did originally read Super Haiyan as Super Saiyan, guilty as charged). Don't think I could comprehend the damage it could have caused if it hit Sydney instead.