Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

What is the flag that allows walkover linedefs to be triggered?

I'm looking to make a vanilla project and I want to duplicate the Scrolling Floor + Voodoo Doll trick that you find in Boom maps. Obviously you can't have scrolling floors in vanilla, so I'm going to achieve movement of said Voodoo Doll by having a barrel explode behind it and propel it forward. As you can imagine however, this will also hurt and possibly kill the player. I'd like to exchange the Voodoo Doll for a custom DeHackEd monster that has the ability to activate walkover linedefs. Is it possible, and if so how do I impliment it?

Only a few vanilla linedef types can be activated by monsters. http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Linedef_type has a list but I think it's not entirely accurate, I was pretty sure there's at least one lift that can be activated by monsters in vanilla.

The only vanilla linedefs listed on that page that can be activated by monsters are 1 (Door, DR, Open Wait then Close) and 4 (Door, W1, Open Wait then Close) and of course teleports.

There's also this forum post I just found - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/63245-monster-projectile-activating-w1-linedef/ - which suggests that those W1 linedefs can be used up but not triggered by Doom 2 projectiles.

(As far as walkover linedefs go, "monsters" can activate usually means "any thing other than the player", meaning in Boom you can have a pillar on a conveyor to trigger things. But this doesn't help you right now...)

EDIT: Indeed type 88 (Lift, WR, Lower Wait Raise) can be triggered by monsters. wiki edited.

EDIT 2: Or maybe I misunderstand the question and you're asking about DeHackEd flags! Oops. Well I don't know anything about that, but maybe the above can help you anyhow as a backup plan.

I never ended up getting an answer for this. :/ Alternatively, is there some way to generate push without damage? That'd work great as well.

There's no "is a player" flag, sorry.

Pushing without damage isn't possible, unless you put an invulnerability sphere at the place where the player triggers the barrel crusher that triggers the voodoo doll being moved.

There's really no need to use voodoo dolls anyway. You can place multiple walkover lines directly on top of each other and they'll all activate at the same time, or use a monster in a dummy sector that activates a door or lift.

I've tried the multiple lines trick and I never got the hang of it somehow. :/ I recall Espi used it in MAP04 of SiD and I think you used it in The Floor Below, so is there a specific way to make sure the lines don't just blend together?

If convenient, you can have them 1 unit apart too. I did this in D2INO. I think it's quite difficult to trigger lines so close together separately.

Guest Unregistered account

I did this kinda thing when I was 11, I made a dummy/control sector with a Voodoo doll in front of a big pit.

My idea was that the player would walk over a linedef that activates a crusher above the barrel, pushing the voodoo doll into the pit. The pit didn't actually have any significance, I just wanted to make it so the camera lowered briefly after the fall. (I was 11, OK?)

What I did to solve the problem was simply move the voodoo doll a bit further away from the barrel so that it doesn't kill the player but still pushes the doll - and then I just stacked a huge pile of Medikits over it. Problem (kinda) solved.