Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom the Way Id Did: The Lost Episodes [v1.666]

Thanks so much for this pack, I'm loving playing through it.

I noticed a HOM glitch/bug while playing with the latest release of GZdoom (I don't know if that's important) and while it doesn't affect gameplay I figured I'd point it out for anyone who wants to know.

Map:
E2M7

Currentpos output:
Current Player Position: (-1273.700,-519.395,-48.000), Angle: 125.291, Floorheight: -48.000, Sector:350, Lightlevel: 128

Screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/94ola91.jpg

This new version poses a problem, as I've already made several fixes on my end for v1.1, including that HOM and some non-working platforms. I don't know how far out of sync these versions are, now -- I'd have to take a closer look to figure out how to combine the changes.

[EDIT] The newer version appears to fix the HOM issue and entirely removes the non-functioning shortcut to the wood area near the yellow key, but it doesn't address the issue of the yellow key opening monster closets in the wood maze (which is entirely out of the way, now). Can you remember if there any other changes aside from these? They're already fixed on my end so it seems as if the issues are addressed.

DecemberMan said:

Just finished it. The maps were of varying quality, but what I intend to mention is that episode 4, nearly all the maps, could have been included in the release as a replacement for the original ep. 4. Also, Cold Steel - E5M7, is probably the only E2 style map in existence I actually friggin' like (including the originals).

Thanks, myself and Mr. Freeze put quite a bit of effort into it and it's also available as standalone on /idgames/ in the E2M4 slot.

Regarding the Dark Passage HOM, I have never seen that occur in either Skulltag or Zandronum before.

How do I get the blue key in E2M5? I spent over ten minutes trying to get it, found four secrets in the process, and ended up giving up and jumping to it.

Too obvious?

Spoiler

There is a button in the room with a teleporter next to it, which you can enter after raising a bridge across a nukage tunnel. It takes a while to run around to get there, you are close after climbing a stair of small boxes in a storage room and passing a nukage pit overgrown with vines.

LigH said:

Too obvious?

Spoiler

You mean the switch? If so, not sure why that didn't work. I pulled it, got turned around for a while, and when I finally got back to the key room the pillar in it was still raised. And when I went back to pull it again, it wouldn't work. Is it on a timer or one-use or something? (Disclaimer: I might be an idiot who didn't do it right. I'll go check when I get back from work.)

No.

Spoiler

It is a green square button on a wall to the right of a window (which opens when you enter the room), in a small room with a teleport platform. Coming from the start, going up the stairs and looking through the window, across the nukage pool with the rocket box, where you can see the pillar, it is about behind the pillar, to the left, in the corner above the nukage groove. You can already spot its door above the groove when you turn right, before you enter the teleporter that leads back to the window where you can see the pillar with the blue keycard.

LigH said:

No.

Spoiler

It is a green square button on a wall to the right of a window (which opens when you enter the room), in a small room with a teleport platform. Coming from the start, going up the stairs and looking through the window, across the nukage pool with the rocket box, where you can see the pillar, it is about behind the pillar, to the left, in the corner above the nukage groove. You can already spot its door above the groove when you turn right, before you enter the teleporter that leads back to the window where you can see the pillar with the blue keycard.

Got it. Thanks, folks.

Is there some sort of change log since the past 8 months that went by?

Mr. Chris said:

Is there some sort of change log since the past 8 months that went by?

Unfortunately no :(

Xfing said:

Honestly, I thought this had already been released.

As a beta, yes.

Oh well, makes sense. None of the maps in E6 is actually completable as they are.

Xfing said:

Oh well, makes sense. None of the maps in E6 is actually completable as they are.

What do you mean, exactly?

Xaser said:

What do you mean, exactly?

I mean there are no exit switches and no scripted level endings upon killing the boss. You basically clean out the maps and hit a dead end.

It says right there in the first post that there'll be an updated version.

As for E6, pretty sure that's supposed to be played in certain ports that enable the boss death triggers anywhere

@Xfing: Although it was a fix made for ZDaemon, you can load the pwad linked in this post with any port that supports the old MAPINFO format to make E4M8, E5 and E6 specials triggered exits work.

@Xaser: Please, don't forget about us poor guys living in the past on ZDaemon (and apparently Zandronum too, based on the recent d2twid mp testing discovery) when releasing an updated version of this and include ye olde MAPINFO with the old format alongside the new ZMAPINFO if it doesn't break anything for you. You can grab the one from the wad linked above in this post and just apply changes that have been made since then; if there have been any.

Xfing said:

I mean there are no exit switches and no scripted level endings upon killing the boss.

Which port are you playing in?

[QUICK-EDIT] @rhinoduck, is the next-episode cycling only done via MAPINFO on ZDaemon? The troublesome bit is that since the same lump is reused for the other two big multiplayer ports as well, which don't have the same behavior baked-in. If I remove the NEXTMAPs, will it break the intended progression?

Failing that, I'll probably add map-rotation in all ports regardless, as I can see that being rather useful, really. :P

Thanks for the patch, by the way -- it's in for v1.1 now for sure.

The quality of this "lost" compilation is actually almost as good as the original, so if anyone hasn't played this yet, it's certainly about time. :)

BTW, this also reminds me of No End In Sight which was also based on "lost" DTWiD maps. Anyone knows what became of that one (I guess Xaser would be able to tell as he was also involved there)?

The maps show up in both because the maps were both originally DTWID submissions made by that one NEIS dude. :P

Forgotten Caverns has been rotated out for v1.1 in favor of a new map (one which a certain someone is hinting at ;), and I'm considering constructing something to replace Enigma as well since the versions are practically identical in each. Granted, there's some map overlap with NEIS and DTWID-proper anyway, but for good reason in that regard. Not so much here, I suppose.

But you are still aiming for the separate NEIS release at some point, right? Because I remember there were quite some good maps in the last beta. Both projects deserve to see the light of the day, if I may say so. :)

Xaser said:

[QUICK-EDIT] @rhinoduck, is the next-episode cycling only done via MAPINFO on ZDaemon? The troublesome bit is that since the same lump is reused for the other two big multiplayer ports as well, which don't have the same behavior baked-in. If I remove the NEXTMAPs, will it break the intended progression?

Failing that, I'll probably add map-rotation in all ports regardless, as I can see that being rather useful, really. :P

Thanks for the patch, by the way -- it's in for v1.1 now for sure.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't notice the edit.

The map-rotation thingy was me forgetting how things actually worked in Doom 1, lol; the EndGames can stay. The only issue seems to be that ZDaemon does not recognize the episode definitions, and when it encounters an unknown keyword, it ignores the remainder of that MAPINFO lump. This can be "elegantly" solved by moving the episode definitions to the end of the lump (instead of removing them as i did before); Zandronum seems to get it all right and ZDaemon gets everything it needs before reaching that unknown keyword. Here's a new version you can use. One will need to use a console command or a maplist to reach the two additional episodes in ZDaemon until support for episode definitions is added (if that ever happens), but that's something for the devs to think about.

Also, E6M1 had a lot of W1 teles breaking MP (if they're not fixed already). Unfortunately, I don't remember anything else from the playthrough we had quite a while ago anymore:(

Some people, including me, are still waiting for the v1.1 version..
Also files.drdteam.org does not work anymore, shame on them, why did they cancel it? I cant recall the reason, was it because of money?

Sokoro said:

I cant recall the reason, was it because of money?

Essentially, yes. The servers had to move to a new host, and the fileshare repository was just far too large to be moved, so it got axed.