Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Look what I found. A PDF of the Necronomicon.

I don't care if this PDF contains knowledge on how to make me the richest man alive and bring about world peace, that fucking font is an eye sore when caps locked. (It's not much better in lowercase, either)

You can get a decent quality paperback of the Necronomicon at your local library. This PDF is truly a horror to behold.

Agreed. That makes my eyes burn. Also, why? Does anyone care what Quake was based on? People either like the gameplay or they think Quake is overrated. Nobody talks about the story, or mythos, or whatever. Personally, I'm in the latter camp.

Awesome, I'm safekeeping it. When I look at it 10 years later, I won't know where I got it from :P

I expected it to look like in Evil Dead though, and demons to come out of the walls if I dare recite it :-S

Anyway, is the Necronomicon a real piece of literature?! I thought it's just a figment of Lovecraft's stories, propagated as a myth until we thought some real author did write it.

Holy shit, I saw the Doom teleportation signs there!! Damnit, I knew those signs weren't just made up. I wonder what they mean. [i hope this book is genuine]

Leathercovered necronimicons are quite cheap so I prefer physical book over having to sit near computer and make my eyes sore. I just remembered how someone made book out of elder scrolls oblivion's book found all over the real, printed them and bound them to book form and even made a custom leatgercover with rune symbol

Waffenak said:

Leathercovered necronimicons are quite cheap

what the hell, are they so common? who are the authors? are there more variants of the necronomicon? are they all in the public domain? afaik, lovecraft is. i suppose the necronomicon is too. i'm just surprised it's for real. i guess i can look further to download it. i doubt it's selling in bookstores around here.

About five minutes of research led me to find that the Necronomicon was never intended by Lovecraft to be made into a real book, but that hasn't stopped lots of other people from trying to make one. Necronomicon#Hoaxes_and_alleged_translations

So do Doom and Quake take ideas from the Dee Necronomicon, which is what is linked to in the first post of this thread?

I was unsurprised to learn that the Necronomicon was translated by Dr John Dee. This guy seems to have gotten his hands into everything!

printz said:

what the hell, are they so common? who are the authors? are there more variants of the necronomicon? are they all in the public domain? afaik, lovecraft is. i suppose the necronomicon is too. i'm just surprised it's for real. i guess i can look further to download it. i doubt it's selling in bookstores around here.

I dont remember the author but you can find conan the barbarian in the same series, The books have black leather cover with gold lettering. Necronomicon at my local bookstore is something like 20-25$ so very affordable

Aliotroph? said:

People either like the gameplay or they think Quake is overrated.

Are you sure?

Piper Maru said:

If it's okay with you guys, I'm going to summon a Cthulhu. Wish me luck!

Yum-yum.

Waffenak said:

I dont remember the author but you can find conan the barbarian in the same series, The books have black leather cover with gold lettering. Necronomicon at my local bookstore is something like 20-25$ so very affordable

Robert E Howard.

And no, Lovecraft never wrote a Necronomicon. But you can buy this and be satisfied.

There is a lot of bullshit surrounding lovecraft's works... a bunch of hack writers have pissed all over his estate since his death. Pay no heed to anything that lovecraft himself didn't write; at best, treat such works with the contempt normally reserved for 'extended universe' stories set in the Alien / Star Wars settings.

Yikes, I didn't know that people didn't know that Lovecraft was writing fiction. This is the true horror of Lovecraft I guess!

Aliotroph? said:

People either like the gameplay or they think Quake is overrated. Nobody talks about the story, or mythos, or whatever.

That is simply not true. While, obviously, the plot and setting play second fiddle to gameplay, much like the way it is in Doom, I know for a fact a lot of people (myself included) appreciate the first Quake for the gritty, oppressive atmosphere and heavy Lovecraftian influences embedded into the story.

In fact, the plot was expanded and built upon in a nearly four hour long machinima-esque movie and the critically acclaimed mod that followed it up, which clearly shows that the story in Quake was good enough to make people want to work with it on their own creations.

Obsidian said:

I can read it alright.

No, you can't. I refuse to believe this. I had to check it out just because of the comments, and that's the most hideous text I've ever seen. I'll take 90's neon pink Comic Sans on neon green over that shit.

printz said:
I even tried to copy-paste it elsewhere; I got garbage text :(

One does not simply copy-paste the eldritch engravings of the Great Old Ones.