Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
betabox

Doom 64 Alternate intro?

This is probably best answered by Kaiser, himself. But has anyone seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NBn6spsCs I'm not at my gaming PC or N64 at the moment, can this be confirmed? Those marines actually stand a chance. The description claims it may be seen after accessing Hectic the hard way.

Slightly related about the intro (this may just be my memory getting to me), but is there more than 1 version of the intro played randomly? I seem to recall some times the Cyberdemon's rocket doesn't gib the player running toward it; I even could hear the marine death scream like the regular death.

I swear I remember watching the intro multiple times on the N64 and it turning out differently sometimes. Hopefully it wasn't just my imagination, as I can't remember specifically what I saw that made me think that.

It's very hard to emulate Doom 64 behavior strictly. That's why original demos are not supported in Doom 64 EX. And yeah, intro works slightly differently.

But this intro in OP differs from anything I saw. For example, arachnotron on "M" is idle.

I think it plays a bit differently every time you watch it, and it seems to play a bit more differently with fast monsters on. And no monsters on and there's only the one green marine standing.

Also it plays something like that if you remove: "forcegodmode" from the MAP33 mapinfo...

And then also turn on respawn things and the mancubus wins: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/mancubus_on_doom64.jpg

I think that the intro is not a demo, but a live simulation between AIs and is thus subject to P_Random() and various game settings, but, Kaiser would have to verify that. I do know the marines in the level are not actual players but are primitive bots, of the sort you get by creating marines via DeHackEd or using ZDoom's DECORATE marines.

The Cyberdemon is a dummy who just fires rockets at the camera. I think he's actually invulnerable too, but again Kaiser would have to verify.

Quasar said:
[The Cyberdemon is a dummy who just fires rockets at the camera. I think he's actually invulnerable too, but again Kaiser would have to verify. [/B]

I remember that. I think it's part of the intro, I don't know why though.

Quasar said:

I think that the intro is not a demo, but a live simulation between AIs and is thus subject to P_Random() and various game settings, but, Kaiser would have to verify that.

Quasar said:

I think that the intro is not a demo, but a live simulation between AIs and is thus subject to P_Random() and various game settings, but, Kaiser would have to verify that. I do know the marines in the level are not actual players but are primitive bots, of the sort you get by creating marines via DeHackEd or using ZDoom's DECORATE marines.

The Cyberdemon is a dummy who just fires rockets at the camera. I think he's actually invulnerable too, but again Kaiser would have to verify.

Correct, its just AIs duking it out and since that map is the first thing that loads, P_Random() is guaranteed to give us the same results every time. Try playing the game for a bit and then return to this sequence and you'll see the difference.

Also the Cyberdemon can be killed.. though he has no death frames so he'll just disappear when killed as seen here

Despite the guarantee, is there still a very small chance of differences in the intro at startup? Or is my memory just messing with me.

I remember specifically at the tail end of the intro the red marine would always enter the alleyway between the two 'Os' and would be gibbed by the cyberdemon just before the camera pans up to reveal the logo. The red marine never manages to enter the alley in Doom 64 EX.

Also, what's the extent of the marine's AI? And their seems to be a marine stuck in the center on an 'O.' And I think the marines actually show up as a different color in automap.