Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released! Bugfix update Nov 16

They weren't that different, some can say Final Doom is canon because id authorized both megawads and made story for them (Casalis story for Plutonia was kind of time gate teleport like in Eternal Doom 3 and Evilution one was classic mapset but more aspiring to techbase spirit of Doom1, not weird stuff like Io moon or hell ship). As for style, because of themes, Evilution is like Doom1 because techbase/tech-hell and Plutonia is like Doom2 because city/earth/landscape/organic hell.

As for this project I'm not sure if will be possible to me beating final map bu first ten set of maps is rather outstanding, certainly got that gritty, outdated feel of original in new shape. ;-)

Xfing said:

On the other hand, if Plutonia is canon, then why not Hell Revealed?

Because Id didn't buy Hell Revealed, attach a story to it and market it under the Doom name. :)

Tarnsman said:

Doom 64 the way id would will be on Doom 64 EX.

Awesome. That really would be the only good way to go about it. Absolution isn't really designed for modding, and if you used any other version of Doom... Well, then you'd just be making another set of Doom II levels.

And several Doom Bible projects have come and gone, but they've seemingly all withered away after enough time. The closest thing to an actually-released "Doom Bible" game would probably be Doom II RPG, since that has multiple characters, interconnected levels that you can travel back and forth between, and even a hydroponics section like was mentioned in the Doom Bible (I think). The holy water pistol is also rather similar to the Doom Bible's description of the Unmaker, since it hurts demons but has no effect on possessed humans.

So this has finally been released. I've heard some things about this wad, I might consider covering it in a twitch livestream sometime in the future!

Cynical said:

Anyone who wants to ever put a jumping puzzle in a Doom map ever again should be forced to play map 19 of this.

They will quickly change their mind about whether that is a good idea.

Warp straight to MAP28. It'll be funny. :P

Shadow Hog said:

I wonder if anyone'd make a QTWiD, too. Might be getting a little out there, though.

I think this post got overlooked or taken as a joke, but a collaboration with the Quake mapping community to make this happen would be amazing.

Edit: Dammit, now I wanna play Quake.

So I was all happy and everything for working out SLADE3 (put the wad the deh in a pk3, along with music and graphic wads), and then even better after finding the secrets in MAP01.

Then came MAP02 and one of its secrets.

Spoiler

I don't think I'm good enough at this game for Hexsoil, thank you very much. That'll teach me to press every possible thing in Doom.

If the 'TWID team really wants a challenge, then they should start work on Doom 3 The Way Id Would - the 1995 follow up to Doom 2 featuring much of the same: new monsters, a new weapon maybe, and 32 shiny new (read: recycled in the case of Romero) levels for people to sink their teeth into.

It all culminated to this, folks.

There are probably valid reasons why this would not work or need to exist but I really like the idea anyway.

an_mutt said:

If the 'TWID team really wants a challenge, then they should start work on Doom 3 The Way Id Would - the 1995 follow up to Doom 2 featuring much of the same: new monsters, a new weapon maybe, and 32 shiny new (read: recycled in the case of Romero) levels for people to sink their teeth into.

Shit yeah, totally. A Doom 3 would be amazing. Too bad that, as I said, the Doom story has effectively been concluded after 2. Hell's a wreck and there's really not much room for further stories save retconning.

an_mutt said:

If the 'TWID team really wants a challenge, then they should start work on Doom 3 The Way Id Would - the 1995 follow up to Doom 2 featuring much of the same: new monsters, a new weapon maybe

The idea is doomed from the start (no pun intended). How do you add in new monsters and weapons, and uphold the pure unadulterated vanilla standard of the "The Way Id [Verb]" brand? No way a TWI* that doesn't run on Chocolate Doom would be given any shred of credibility.

an_mutt said:

and 32 shiny new (read: recycled in the case of Romero) levels for people to sink their teeth into.

Why 32? Doom has 27 levels (raised to 36 with UD), Doom II has 32 levels, Doom III could have any other number. A D3TWIW with 32 levels would suffer from looking like just another Doom II megawad instead of a purported new standalone game. Give it 20 levels, or 45, anything except 32.

On topic: I haven't noticed it before, but there's an inescapable death trap in Level 6. The blood pond in the center of a gray stone walkway not far from the exit can't be escaped (no lift, no teleporter). This is kinda like the nukage lake in E1M6 in DTWiD. Are such sporadic inescapable death traps acceptable?

That's an intentional play on Romero's occassional inescapable pits.

dew said:

That's an intentional play on Romero's occassional inescapable pits.

Alright. E1M6 was also made by Romero so it makes sense.

"Doom 3 the Way Id Might Have Done It in the Mid-90's"? Man, why are there so many cool-sounding ideas popping up in this topic? I don't know what I'd want to see more.

Gez said:

The idea is doomed from the start (no pun intended). How do you add in new monsters and weapons, and uphold the pure unadulterated vanilla standard of the "The Way Id [Verb]" brand? No way a TWI* that doesn't run on Chocolate Doom would be given any shred of credibility.

I don't agree. You have to figure, with Ultimate Doom being worked on in 1995, likely the earliest Doom III would've been released would have been 1996. By `96, the N64 was released, and the BUILD engine had come to be. (And Quake was on the way, but I'm not sure you'd count that in this alternate universe scenario.) So there's no reason to believe, if Id was serious about the project, that they might have revamped the engine to include more modern FPS features in order to compete with Duke Nukem 3D, like freelook, jumping, colored lighting, scripts (or macros), and fake-3D, silent teleporter "room-over-room" effects. So "Doom III" could potentially be a ZDoom project and it wouldn't be totally unbelievable.

Personally, I always felt Threshold of Pain was a good example of how Doom III might've been, infusing classic Doom gameplay with some of the more modern engine features from PSX/N64 Doom, as well as adding jumping and freelook. It felt like a natural evolution.

Quake The Way id Might Have Done In The Doom Engine Because We're Stuck In The Past And Want To See That Kind Of Shit.

QTWiMHDITDEBWSITPAWTSTKOS has a ring to it, yeah?

Xfing said:

Are such sporadic inescapable death traps acceptable?

Inescapable death traps are cool. They force the player to avoid them.

Btw, congrats on releasing this. I already played it and commented a long time ago so you know how I feel.

Xfing said:

Oh HELL no. Entire levels using almost the same texture everywhere, the dull gray rock bricks texture and wood everywhere, painful overuse of blood.. everything looks so damn bleak and bland and depressing in a bad way.

haha, same here, it seems I'm not the only one who doesn't like plutonia aesthetics at all.

Jayextee said:

Quake The Way id Might Have Done In The Doom Engine Because We're Stuck In The Past And Want To See That Kind Of Shit.

QTWiMHDITDEBWSITPAWTSTKOF

Sorry, had to.

TimeOfDeath said:

Inescapable death traps are cool. They force the player to avoid them.

I'm a fan of instant death traps (grew up with the old Prince of Persia), but not of inescapable nukage pits. I'll take TNT's infamous puzzle over waiting around for nukage to finish me off.

Honestly, I'm not above no-clipping myself out of inescapable nukage pits.

Megamur said:

I don't agree. You have to figure, with Ultimate Doom being worked on in 1995, likely the earliest Doom III would've been released would have been 1996. By `96, the N64 was released, and the BUILD engine had come to be. (And Quake was on the way, but I'm not sure you'd count that in this alternate universe scenario.) So there's no reason to believe, if Id was serious about the project, that they might have revamped the engine to include more modern FPS features in order to compete with Duke Nukem 3D, like freelook, jumping, colored lighting, scripts (or macros), and fake-3D, silent teleporter "room-over-room" effects. So "Doom III" could potentially be a ZDoom project and it wouldn't be totally unbelievable.

Wishing Quake out of existence is the weak point of this idea. It was released that very year and it had full 3D, jumping, freelook, scripts and everything else. If anything, Doom 3 would be a parallel project using the Quake engine, because Carmack wouldn't bother extending Doom engine again when he already had the next gen almost finished.

Don't get too excited with out-there ideas, kids!

Janus3003 said:

I'm a fan of instant death traps (grew up with the old Prince of Persia), but not of inescapable nukage pits. I'll take TNT's infamous puzzle over waiting around for nukage to finish me off.

Honestly, I'm not above no-clipping myself out of inescapable nukage pits.

I am inclined to agree. The one in D2TWiD lvl 6 I can still live with, but the one in DTWiD E1M6 is all the more frustrating, since you leap into there with like full health and get it stripped off bit by bit. BTW, I might have already mentioned that the slime doesn't do damage in the region where the bridge will rise, that's a bug that'll need to be corrected for UDTWiD.

an_mutt said:

While this idea has a lot of charm in it, the proposed "Doom 64 the Way id Would've Done" actually fills this role to a 'T' (whatever that idiom actually means D:), IMO.

As someone here once put it a while back, Midway made Doom 3 in 1997 and then released it for the N64. :P

Piper Maru said:

It's not that bad.

not bad, but i'm glad doom wasn't based on it, or it would have played more like a more modern game than like the action-oriented game it became.

dew said:

Wishing Quake out of existence is the weak point of this idea. It was released that very year and it had full 3D, jumping, freelook, scripts and everything else.

Doom 64 came out that same year and had none of those things.

I still like the "Doom III" idea, but the Doom 64 reimagining is probably the most agreeable way to go. Plus, D64EX seriously needs more love; I'll enthusiastically support any serious EX project.

I wonder if "TWID Team's Future Projects" should just be separated into a different topic so we don't keep cluttering up the D2TWID thread with this....

ShadesMaster said:

HXtwRSd - Hexen the Way Raven SHOULD have did....

Let me guess: more action-oriented, little to no backtracking?