Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

Some initial questions about UDTWiD

Dear TWiD team, I have some questions about your initial outlook on how Thy Flesh Consumed is gonna look. I'll point out the questions for easier reading:

- Do you intend to keep the erratic difficulty learning curve of the original episode? Like, map 1 and 2 nightmarishly hard, map 3 pretty hard, map 4 a breeze, map 5 a breeze, map 6 very hard, maps 7 and 8 a breeze?

- Do you intend to implement deliberate fuckups preventing 3x100'ing the levels for authenticity's sake? Personally I'd much rather that you didn't, not being able to 100% a level just because two secrets were placed INSIDE torches was the most frustrating and pointless thing.. ever. And ruined a good deal of the fun with the episode.

- Do you intend to create the maps in uneven quality as in the original episode? Romero's two maps from this episode were well, fucking fantastic. Maps by Green were good but unpolished and riddled with bugs and gave the overall feeling of sloppiness and the maps by Willits even more so. Overall I think the episode fell short of its amazing potential just because of all the haste and sloppiness.

- Do you intend to let authors name their maps by themselves like before, or opt instead to make a list of the most badass, ominous biblical quotes to choose from? If you go for the latter, I'd happily help out, I believe I do have a knack for coming up with badass names.

That's all, folks! Thanks for your kind indulgence.

I'm fairly out of the loop compared with the rest of the guys, but I'll try:

-Probably not
-Probably not, we don't have any intentions of making maps incompletable.
-Possibly but if there are bugs they will probably be "leave-'em-in" cases and not game-breaking ones.
-I'm assuming biblical quotes.

Marnetmar said:

-I'm assuming biblical quotes. [/B]

Thanks for the info! About that last point, I know that the titles will be from biblical quotes, I was just asking whether you'll choose those by commitee and save the designers the effort to look them up for themselves, or... won't save them the effort :P

Oh! In that case I believe the designers (the maps have already been designed btw) will or have already picked names themselves.

There needs to be an equivalent of the stairway where every step is a secret, just for the ear-splitting effect in ZDoom.

Marnetmar said:

-I'm assuming biblical quotes.

Hooray! I tried to convince the Switcharoom guys that E4 should be all Biblical quotes, but most people wanted to stick with their terrible portmanteau names. :(

E4 was pretty made with no one really communicating about progression or theme (the GSTONE heavy theme was a total accident) and we will be emulating that. Also just so everyone knows E4 actually is already with full 9 different authors each contributing 1 map each.

Shawn Green:
Alfonzo and Marcaek

American McGee:
Rottking and Purist

John Romero:
Pavera and Myself

Tim Willits:
Use3D and TheGreenHerring

Doctor Sleep:
Xaser

Thats a nice setup there, you could reuse that for a Master Levels follow-up (If you do intend to do all Doom products this way. Please do)

Magnusblitz said:

Hooray! I tried to convince the Switcharoom guys that E4 should be all Biblical quotes, but most people wanted to stick with their terrible portmanteau names. :(

Terrible? I was in tears of laughter seeing those! AGAINST THEE PROCESSING

I don't know where my McGee level will be placed except that it won't be in a special slot without some modification. I haven't deliberately put any bugs in but if there's any authentic non game breaking ones found I'm happy to leave them in. And I have a name for it taken from the King James Bible.

Oi, can I join for some mapping or is the project not as open as the two ones before?
I love E4.

BTW, will UDTWiD be treated as an opportunity to also make some tweaks to the original 3 episode levels as was done in UD?

I have reported an issue in E1M6 where if you fall into one nukage pit before a bridge is raised you are trapped there permanently. I don't remember there being a trap as unforgiving in the original E1.

BTW I really have high hopes for Thy Flesh Consumed. But by now you guys know full well that to make similar impact it needs to be better than the original. One way to make it better would be to at the very least make every level 3x100-able.

I'm not sure wheter this isn't what the OP didn't like about the original Thy Flesh Consumed in disguse?

Xfing said:

BTW, will UDTWiD be treated as an opportunity to also make some tweaks to the original 3 episode levels as was done in UD?

If they want to be authentic, just E1M1.

---

I hope UDTWiD has another McGee map using a single texture.

What about taking quotes from the Quran instead of the Bible? And E4 could have an Arabic style similar to this.

Captain Toenail said:

I'm confused. Is this part of DTWiD Lost Episodes? Does that mean all my episode 4 levels have been binned? :(

It'll be all new.

Captain Toenail said:

I'm confused. Is this part of DTWiD Lost Episodes? Does that mean all my episode 4 levels have been binned? :(

I wouldn't presume to speak for Team TWiD, but your levels are as far as I know still part of DTWID:LE's E4, which is still slated for eventual release.

Zed said:

What about taking quotes from the Quran instead of the Bible? And E4 could have an Arabic style similar to this.

That would be a horrible idea

Captain Toenail said:

Well, a lot of your maps were very homage-laden iirc. Not to say they weren't decent, because I thought they were. Lost Episode is basically where all the maps that didn't QUITE make the mark for accuracy went because it'd be a shame to just toss all the cool maps that were submitted.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Haha, yeah, but most are a little nicer looking than BROWNHUG. (Hoping for GRAYTALL: the map, myself.)

Sadly Purist and Rottking instead elected to spam STONE3.

Ragnor said:

That would be a horrible idea

BaronOfStuff said:

How about no.

Heh, I wasn't being really serious, but out of curiosity, why not?

BaronOfStuff said:

Because it's UDTWID, not "let's take an idea and change it".

Fair enough.

Shadow Hog said:

Besides, if we WERE gonna pull names from somewhere other than The Bible, this is the obvious source.

My head almost explodes. I'm still trying to decide if the OP in that thread is some kind of genius or just an idiot.

I'm still hoping that joke megawad gets made. Best level names ever. Even better than Switcheroom's "Against Thee Processing"