Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
plums

Doom Builder: fix overlapping lines?

With Doom Builder, if I move sectors over top of each other (especially useful with the Edit Sectors function) any overlapping lines don't merge, even with Merge Geometry on. The best way I know of to fix this is to zoom in and add vertices wherever lines intersect, and then jiggle them around until they merge with all lines. This is fine for small things, but for making interesting geometric patterns it becomes quite a chore. Is there a better way to do this?

Examples as to what I'm talking about :
Simple example - http://i.imgur.com/xDaF77v.png
Not so easy to fix - http://i.imgur.com/W8f82Rc.png
(the scale of that 2nd example is way too small for an actual level, I know)

I think the only way you can really "fix" something like that is to split the lines so that each cell is a new sector (like you mentioned). The make-sector tool might help with that, not sure. Then more than likely your going to have to fix all of the sidedef sector reference numbers by hand so you don't have any leaking sectors. In your second reference image, that process will be very tedious.

Your probably just better off drawing the shapes from-scratch to be honest :P

That sucks. Any other editors that could do this? Maybe I ought to learn wadc.

If I do add the vertices, and then go into Make Sectors and mash the mouse button, the sector references are surprisingly accurate. It's still not a fast process though.

I can't speak for other map editors, but its worth a try to see if any support this feature.

One way you might be able to do this is to have a reference with all of your shapes on top of each other (ei. your second image). And then draw another set of sectors like normal using the reference. Just an idea :)

Mechadon said:

Your probably just better off drawing the shapes from-scratch to be honest :P

Or copy/paste the vertexes, so it then becomes a game of "join the dots". Still a bit tedious, but works for me so long as the geometry is fairly straighforward.

GreyGhost said:

Or copy/paste the vertexes, so it then becomes a game of "join the dots". Still a bit tedious, but works for me so long as the geometry is fairly straighforward.

Oh, not a bad idea, I'll give it a shot next time I do something like that. Thanks!

I hate it when that happens in doombuilder, but the only way I know of that fixes this problem is by splitting the lines to create new sectors.

Hope that helps.

Yadex (for Linux) has an interesting function, that you can highlight one sector and then can point to a closed path of linedefs, hit
SHIFT-Z and it will change all linedefs in the closed path to use that sector. This will fix sectors with an odd linedef. It is also handy to save a few sectors from the editing, and then after getting the new complex of linedefs in place, I can go around and make them reference the saved sectors. I rarely have to change any linedef sector references by hand.

What Yadex is missing it a function to make such a closed path of linedefs into a NEW sector, or to VOID.

wesleyjohnson said:

Yadex (for Linux) has an interesting function, that you can highlight one sector and then can point to a closed path of linedefs, hit
SHIFT-Z and it will change all linedefs in the closed path to use that sector. This will fix sectors with an odd linedef.

Note that this feature is not available in stock Yadex, it needs one of my patches from here: http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/yadex/

What Yadex is missing it a function to make such a closed path of linedefs into a NEW sector, or to VOID.

Pressing 'Z' without any selected sector will create a new sector.