Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Job

Doom Map With Screenshots ITT. Feed Your Inner Man with the Challenge

This is the the first wad I've released since Point of No Return in 2004. Feedback is appreciated.

Our protagonist has emerged from DIS victorious, having left behind the rotting hulk of the Spider Mastermind days ago. Although his body is intact, there are scars beneath his flesh and bone. The physical and mental stress of the traumatic events behind him, as well as his fears of a demonic invasion reaching earth are beginning to consume him. Even in sleep, there is no release to be had from the looming fear stirring within.

As he drifts off into a fits of restless sleep, cold sweat seeping from his brow, night after night he experiences nightmares of the recent skirmishes. His mind sculpts his memories into unrecognizable amalgamations of places he's visited before, populated by creatures he was certain were already dead. In the deepest recesses of his unconscious, the battle rages on as the grip of flashbacks becomes stronger. The flashback to Phobos is first...

Click here to download Flashback to Phobos: Toxin Storage Facility

Fun level. I like the E1 style aesthetics mixed with much higher monster count. I like KDITD-style levels but emulating the E1 monster placement makes for some sparse maps sometimes.

The first time I got cornered by spectres after getting the chainsaw, was low on ammo and wasn't sure whether to try to saw or punch my way out; I chose saw, but didn't make it. Got through on my second attempt. 100% kills and 6/7 secrets, though I think the last secret was the rad suit and it just didn't register for some reason.

What port did you test it under? I was going to do an FDA in PrBoom+ but it looks like you've got some source-port niceties, mainly untagged linedef actions, and even with a compatibility fix for that there were still some weird issues like missing floor textures. I switched to GZDoom and everything went fine after that.

Congrats on finishing a level, it's never easy, huh?

Thanks for the feedback. Now that you mention it, I did do a bulk of the testing with GZDoom. I had set it as my testing executable some time back when I first downloaded Doom Builder.

I plan on submitting this to /newstuff. If there are suggestions on tightening the gameplay, etc, I'd be interested in them.

Mr. Chris said:

The images are showing up broken.

I put in the direct links to the images for those who can't see them. Worst case scenario, you can play the map and see them firsthand.

Thanks again to plums for providing some feedback, I appreciate the help.

I know releasing just one E1 style map isn't really a big deal around here, but I tried to put a lot of thought and time into this wad. My goal was to give back to the community that's given a lot to me over the years. I've enjoyed countless hours of Dooming because of the hard working members out there and it's a privilege to be counted among them.

A lot of you have unique perspectives and see maps, gameplay and mapping in a way that I may not, so your input is important to me. Ultimately, it will help me become a more well-rounded mapper and hopefully benefit the community even more. Anyway, thanks again for those who played this level and thanks twice over for those who took the time to help me out with this goal.

Sometimes it seems like there are just too many levels around here for people to play them all. I feel like I could only play new releases posted on this board, and still have more maps than time to play them.

You might get more reception (here, or on idgames in the future) if you were able to make you level Boom-compatible, but also maybe not and I don't know how much work that would be.

plums said:

Sometimes it seems like there are just too many levels around here for people to play them all. I feel like I could only play new releases posted on this board, and still have more maps than time to play them.

You might get more reception (here, or on idgames in the future) if you were able to make you level Boom-compatible, but also maybe not and I don't know how much work that would be.

Thanks for the advice. I used the "Doom in Doom format" configuration in Doom Builder with the impression that would make it accessible to the broadest audience. Maybe I'll have to do some research on other DB configurations.

I personally haven't been able to play any people's maps in the last week, though I've seen a lot I've wanted to try and comment on, this one included. Indeed, I think a lot of maps and other projects do get released here--which is really cool, honestly--and it's hard to predict how much response it will get. (I released one WAD for comment twice across 3 years, and it got a lot more play and feedback when it was just one map than when it was three.) I'll try and make good on all my "I'll play it when I get the chance! :3" comments, especially since I know how disheartening it can (though not necessarily should) feel when your releases get fewer comments than you expect.

Job said:

Thanks for the advice. I used the "Doom in Doom format" configuration in Doom Builder with the impression that would make it accessible to the broadest audience. Maybe I'll have to do some research on other DB configurations.

That's the right config then, but you do stuff that older ports don't handle well: lots of your linedef actions don't have sector tags, like the descending walkway at the start, which doesn't work in older ports, and you've got some weird overlapping sector business going on or something, which looks bad in GLBoom+ (though both PrBoom+ and GZDoom in HW mode displayed fine, oddly enough)
http://i.imgur.com/QTOSEZJ.png

Basically, just get Chocolate Doom or PrBoom+ and use one of those to test if you want to make a vanilla/port-agnostic level. (And with PrBoom+, make sure to set the proper complevel, and test both GL and software modes if you can.)

plums said:

That's the right config then, but you do stuff that older ports don't handle well: lots of your linedef actions don't have sector tags, like the descending walkway at the start, which doesn't work in older ports, and you've got some weird overlapping sector business going on which looks bad in GLBoom+ (though both PrBoom+ and GZDoom in HW mode displayed fine, oddly enough)
http://i.imgur.com/QTOSEZJ.png

Basically, just get Chocolate Doom or PrBoom+ and use one of those to test if you want to make a vanilla/port-agnostic level. (And with PrBoom+, make sure to set the proper complevel, and test both GL and software modes if you can.)

I had no idea that was happening, thank you. Although I'm not quite sure how to fix the issue shown, I'll have to take a closer look. Still, this stuff should be okay with most sourceports, right? I'm curious, how many people still play maps exclusively in vanilla or avoid sourceport-required maps these days?

I took a peek in DoomBuilder:
On the linedefs of sector 41 (the square teleport destination around that area in the screenshot) the back sidedefs reference sector 1 for some reason. They should be set to sector 2.
I haven't tested the rest of the map for errors like this. For some reason DB doesn't consider this an error in its Map Analysis.

Still, this stuff should be okay with most sourceports, right? I'm curious, how many people still play maps exclusively in vanilla or avoid sourceport-required maps these days?

no idea! I would recommend fixing the linedef tags anyhow, it's tedious but probably won't take that long, and will make the level a lot more compatible. Beyond that, if certain ports won't work, then too bad!

I personally try to target the lowest level of still-used technology that I can without losing features (with anything, not just Doom maps) because that tends to produce the most compatibility, so I guess I have a bias in that regard :p.

I don't know if it falls under the problems that people have pointed out previously, but I've found a HOM while playing under prBoom+:

http://i.imgur.com/pQVhQJw.png
http://i.imgur.com/phyLxHy.png

Here's a short attempt to tackle the map, I end up dying within 10 minutes though... (killed by a spectre while chainsawing it, this happens really rarely to me)
http://speedy.sh/chybs/flash-fda.lmp

JudgeDeadd said:

I don't know if it falls under the problems that people have pointed out previously, but I've found a HOM while playing under prBoom+:

http://i.imgur.com/pQVhQJw.png
http://i.imgur.com/phyLxHy.png

Here's a short attempt to tackle the map, I end up dying within 10 minutes though... (killed by a spectre while chainsawing it, this happens really rarely to me)
http://speedy.sh/chybs/flash-fda.lmp

Thanks for spotting that. I'm not sure why that doesn't show up in DB as an error, but I'll definitely take a closer look.