Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

make, test, post

dl map for prboom-plus -complevel 2 -skill 4 -warp 7
There is a part where you get on top of a building, jump into a hole and then a fight happens. Make sure to leave at least 2 shells because you will need to shoot a switch with SSG to get out.

I didn't die in the first 10 seconds so will post my fda:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/maketestpost-07-fda-ggg.lmp
Monster fatness almost killed me at one point, then cockblocky architecture or monster fatness or game cheating did kill me at the end. Yes I was pushing left to duck for cover at the end but I guess that button was conveniently out of order at that moment, and whatever you see in the fda is a lie, as doom monsters are known to edit lmp videos and fill them with their revisionist history. John carmack is an evil genius. The level was like good and stuff or something.

Awesome, cool layout and gameplay as usual! But man, I wish you would concentrate a bit more on aligning those textures! :) I finished the level without finding the yellow key, don't know if that's intentional or not.

FDA: http://www.mediafire.com/?0g5jja17kzu7c4u
Got pretty far on my first playthrough, the blue key area hurt me plenty and then I got punched out by a revenant later when I wasn't looking. Then I tried twice more and died stupidly so I quit! Will go back to it later.

I liked it overall, lots to look at, good ammo balance, no spots that are too unfair. Music sounds extremely like Sega Genesis music with OPL playback.

edit: Also I don't recall shooting that switch? But maybe I did and forgot about it or didn't notice.

Lol, ggg's demo was frustrating to watch, I was like "come on, notice that SSG right in front of you already!" the whole time. But was cool to see some keyboard-only tysoning, something that always impresses me.

Texture alignment is booooring to work on and for the most part misalignments don't bother me (often I even find them cool looking, much more interesting than perfectly "clean" visuals), so I only align stuff that looks really ugly to me, like MARBFACE cut in a half or something.

The yellow key is a secret one, it just gives access to some additional rockets and recovery items, it's not required to finish the map.

The music is from a cult ZDaemon coop wad called sg_trogun - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kSWmnHcwpU

Fairly straightforward. I like the layout. Actually feels a bit underwhelming because of the attempts at creating real-world places. The "saloon" was actually fairly decent, it's just that... I dunno, I think this map is a good example of how bad some of Doom 2's stock textures are. The texture alignments don't help, and I think it's unfair to have a secret hidden behind a texture misalignment when THE ENTIRE MAP is one big texture misalignment.

The end area is the only real challenging one, and it's almost a bit TOO hard with both AVs and arachnatrons with very little cover. On the other hand, it's quite easy to retreat back to the blue door and kill everything in the chokepoint. Meh.

Oops. :) That area looked empty so I added some crates (the ultimate solution to such problems) but forgot to recheck the barrier height.

The whole real-world like aesthetic was inspired by Kama Sutra of course, and the gameplay too (in KS you almost always can retreat if you want).

Cool, went back and beat it. You can to the fireplace secret area by winding around the guard tower after you get the blue key, which I think is nice except you don't get the secret count that way. Plasma Rifle placement is interesting, I guess that's for speedrunners? I know what you mean about texture alignment, sometimes it looks more wallpapery to have everything aligned evenly.

Memfis said:

The whole real-world like aesthetic was inspired by Kama Sutra of course, and the gameplay too (in KS you almost always can retreat if you want).

I feel the same way about Kama Sutra, so uh, good job evoking the inspiration. :P

A little late to the party but here's my FDA anyway: http://www.mediafire.com/?zawd614d95xhd64. No deaths but finished with 2% health hehe. Handled the final area terribly so it's a miracle I even made it.

But yeah, pretty good map. Definitely had the Kama Sutra style going on in both architecture and gameplay.