Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

have those as midi, ggg? I like the first one

also will test new tatsurd map later, sorry about dragging my feet on that one

I spent the last hour without even being able to make a single sound in anvil butthole studio, so I guess nevermind. What an unintuitive clusterfuck. There's like a popup on everything you click, and when you frequently get lost in some menu, the only way to get past the aids ridden user interfuck is to exit the program and restart it. Sounds don't even play so you go to preferences and see a "font" button, hmm maybe this is where you enter a sound font. No, it's like REAL fonts. Like times new roman and freakin webdings.. in a music program. This thing took 10 minutes to install all this microsoft spyware with like 5 end user licenses. I didn't read any of them so likely someone legally owns my balls now. I hate anvil studio, I HATE IT! I think I would rather stab my arm with a knife than use it for one more second.

Meh, warp to 30, kill romero head, then you can hear the intermission music, followed by end game (text screen) music (2 different songs):
http://filesmelt.com/dl/intermissionAndEndgamePotential.wad
(ignore map 1, just junk)
Both aren't good enough to be on the title screen at all, and I won't mind if someone doesn't want me to ruin the wad with my amateur music. I entered the first mp3 one into anvil studio (got sound working finally, takes like 10x the effort of modplug tracker) but noticed all the notes were at like 50% volume and no easy way to select all notes and raise them so did #2 and a different melody instead.
Also if someone is looking for music for their map, golden axe 2 tower is pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPLSZ_0JRc

I'm going to go ahead and (re)play all maps one by one whenever I muster some free time. I take it the yearly prolonging is still happenning, or...?

Temple Arena - FDA - I think I recall playing this back then, I also recall I thought it was ... annoying shite. Well, to be honest, I thought it was still exactly that. The condensed area is way too awkward for any sort of dodging activities especially when projectiles come from absolutely everywhere and everytime, and RL is also doing whatever the hell it wants, especially when trying to aim at first AV, but also when shooting from higher spots it likes to blow player up. This wasn't the worst part at all, I'd even go as far as that it was quite tolerable up to this point. However, what comes after pressing those 4 switches is a stupid mess. There is a huge advantage if you randomly release 2 cybers at first, because they just clear the room out for you effortlessly. If you hit any other switch, you just raise the already critically high chances of dying. On top of that, BFG lowers just when you press the switch that gets cybers in, IIRC. Another problem is that there is nowhere near enough ammo to clear the place out unless you multitask, which I consider to be a stupid design choice.

I'd ditch the shit out of everything regarding the 4 switches, including BFG and every single monster it teleports in, as it makes an already awkward start of map fuse into something causing unnecessary melodrama. Make another arena-like room you get to teleport to after pressing those 4 switches if you want to prolonge action happenning in map. As it is, it's an unfun mess I'd never want to touch again.

Firestarter - link broken but I have it on PC so FDA. This was okay, I'd just make the starting lift lower faster and make secrets less generous. SSG and bunch of shells should be more than enough, PG could be kept for lower difficulties. CB could finally make a cyber on a hightened platform that can actually infight instead of blowing up the box it's standing on though. I'd make shotgunners teleport onto those fiery columns on both parts of map when you press those two switches to prevent immediate camping. Also also, I'd probably remove teleporters in lava, let's not get too generous with treating player nicely. Also also also, I'd make 2-3 viles teleport onto cyber's platform after it dies.

Joyless - FDA. Hah, this is awesome. Gameplay was already so deviously thought-through that I can barely think of anything. Tbh, I can't believe I actually made it in one piece. Needs new midi though.

Butt222 - FDA. Eh. As innovative as the idea behind the map may be, it's just complete reliance on stupid AI behavior (luck) how events turn out. There's almost no player's influence, and therefore it gets boring after a while. I would at least put a door in front of each monster wave at start so you can choose to take on each side slowly and carefully or all 4 at once, I'm not even sure if it would have any effect as I'm just guessing.

Btw, ToD, why don't you make Q-styled maps anymore? I really liked flanagan and loink, smedley was also cool. I kinda miss that style in your maps.
...And I don't mean Q levels remade using stock D2 content, that's interesting but also a completely different matter.

I also wanted to hear about the overall situation with sf13. Is it prolonged for a year or something? Or it rapidly ceases to exist at all?

j4rio said:

I take it the yearly prolonging is still happenning, or...?

Demonologist said:

I also wanted to hear about the overall situation with sf13. Is it prolonged for a year or something? Or it rapidly ceases to exist at all?

It was discussed but I don't recall reaching consensus. I recall (lagger maybe?) saying we have 30-some maps, just release it and be done with it. I suppose the question boils down to three options:

a.) release sf13 on time --> do nothing for '14
b.) release sf13 on time --> sf14???
c.) wait, acquire more maps, tune em, select best --> release sf13 "eventually" --> ???

I welcome opinions on which course of action seems the most sensible.

j4rio said:

Temple Arena - ... annoying shite.

cheers m8. Not disagreeing too hard with your points but I also don't feel like touching it again, unless it'd be trivial shit like adding hp/ammo. make a big enough fuss and I'll just drop it from the project tbh, I'm not particularly proud of it anyways.

Well, Temple Arena looks nice anyway. As for the best course of action, it's getting near the end of 2013 and nobody wants a repeat of sf2012's delays.

Demonologist: thx, I probably stopped with Qmaps because I've been using stock iwad textures for a while now, but maybe I'll use q1tex again one day.

Ribbiks: I'd personally like to see SF14 start in January, since I think it'd be nice to continue the yearly tradition. As for SF13, I guess there's no hurry to get it released before the end of the year, since SF12 was released later in '13 anyway.

If nobody wants to keep an SF14 thread updated, I'll volunteer (but please someone else volunteer if you want to do it).

Maybe SF14 could be all sbout shortish maps?

Ribbiks said:

a.) release sf13 on time --> do nothing for '14

Yeah, that was my offer. Though I can't stop you from running one more sf wad if you really feel that you can collect 30 maps in a year. This current set shows that you're... well, not. Lagger was saying about 30+ maps before Archi grabbed his Rush maps back. So now there are less than 30. And it doesn't seem like the remaining slots will be covered 'til the end of the year.

TimeOfDeath said:

maybe I'll use q1tex again one day.

Would be cool. No, seriously.
I'd also ask you about unfocusing on constant cyb 2-shot killing because, you know, it has become really overused up to the point of being overtly expected and annoying, but I guess my humble supplications won't change your attitude on said matter, so... Nevermind.

TimeOfDeath said:

since SF12 was released later in '13 anyway.

And this sucks. It would be better to reduce releasing time to minimum, but we all understand this means close cooperation of both mappers and playtesters which seems to be lacking now. This is one of the reasons I was talking about running out of steam back in the day. Sumbissions are rare, raw and barely get playtested by other players. Of course it's partially my fault as well as a listed playtester, but I have to say that grey workflow and consecutive constant tiredness have taken the best of me these days.

TimeOfDeath said:

Maybe SF14 could be all sbout small maps?

Have absolutely nothing against it. Depends on what could be considered small though. Still, this isn't necessarily to be done in 2014.

Demonologist said:

if you really feel that you can collect 30 maps in a year. This current set shows that you're... well, not.

Wait, didn't you say 2011 was the best year and each sf since then has been slightly worse? Because I have to say, we did not get 30 good maps in 2011.

I really feel like every year since 2011 has greatly reduced the "wait why are we releasing all this" factor. I do hope sf2013 gets some cool new maps in the next two months, but I wouldn't see anything seriously wrong with releasing the stuff we have now. But i guess it's pretty subjective, so we're probably never gonna agree on this.

TimeOfDeath said:

Maybe SF14 could be all sbout shortish maps?

*starts doom builder*

Grain of Salt said:

Wait, didn't you say 2011 was the best year and each sf since then has been slightly worse? Because I have to say, we did not get 30 good maps in 2011.

Seems like you got me slightly wrong. I was saying that I greatly admire sf11 as an experiment born out of semi-spontaneous enthusiastic blast, I never said that it was awesome all the way through. Neither was sf12 (at least for me), but it is objectively better and more polished and thought out (then again - final version was released only recently, and it's the end of 2013 already, and once again - this sucks) with somewhat different approach to its creation. It's neither good nor bad, sf12 just plays and feels different. Entering subjective territory again though, not much interesting to be found in here.
Now imagine quality control and extensive playtesting in sf13 with current maps. Some of them won't make the cut, thus reducing the already below 32 mark overall count even more. Additional playtesting will take tons of time with testing activity like this. So all in all - it would be released after many months (once again), with less maps, possibly much less maps. Productivity decreased compared even to long-in-the-making sf12, right?

Grain of Salt said:

but I wouldn't see anything seriously wrong with releasing the stuff we have now

Me neither. I'll repeat once again that it already has some nice maps and nothing is truly horrible. But of course the difference in quality will be noticed right away, and the fact that this may be released without huge delays won't soften things much. So I really think that intention to make high quality 32-level mapsets each year is a little too optimistic. Nothing's everlasting, enthusiasm included.

For butt222 you can mostly focus on one side and try to line-of-sight trigger the deaf cybers on that side. I like it as is.
Is someone re-texturing my other 2 maps or not?

Krispy said:

How's this: Does sf2013 have to be a megawad? Is it ok to fall below 32 maps? I think so.

I thought a 'mega-wad' was at least 15 maps? But I agree, does it really matter?

Yes, "we need 32 maps and 32 maps only" is not a good mindset in my opinion since it leads to "quantity over quality" and all that. Simply collecting as many good maps as possible is the way to go. 32 is just a number, that's all, it isn't any better than 17 or 26...

Also, here is a FDA for Tatsurd's latest map, I imagine it isn't very interesting to watch (simply safe playing) but I just wanted to post it because he didn't get any feedback or demos yet.

Memfis said:

Tatsurd's latest map... didn't get any feedback or demos yet.

In that case, fda:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/sf2013tat-fda-ggg.lmp
Beat it on my first try (32ish minutes) and I usually suck at fda, so its kinda easy I guess. It looks good. Probably doesn't matter that its not very hard since challenge comes when going as fast as possible (I only tried fda so far).

Memfis said:

Yes, "we need 32 maps and 32 maps only" is not a good mindset in my opinion

I don't find it to be that much of a problem, but coupled with yearly limit it's bullshit. Either focus on yearly limit or 32 maps.

Gut Buster - FDA. Yeah, this is quite bad. I think I'll just leave it at that for now and move on.