Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

dumb idea: everyone staring at you

Like, edit all monster images so say a revenant's head is always looking at you, even when it walking away from you. Like when it's walking diagonally away, it'd be looking over its shoulder at you, always with its head looking at you regardless of direction. Do that for all monsters. Maybe the only time they don't look at you is in the attack frames, not sure, so an imp would be staring at you over its shoulder, then look at a hell knight only too shoot a fireball at it, then keep looking at you again. It'd be creepy maybe like everyone suspiciously staring at you all the time. So yeah, there's too many frames for me to do this so I won't but there's the dumb idea.

Cool. What about cacos and demons though? Also most monsters wouldn't have 180 degree rotation of their heads, so you'd have to do something about when they were walking away from you.

Infighting would look funny too.

SS Nazis face you when attacking, whatever their target is. It's actually really unhelpful and is the only real reason i don't use them in maps.

Xaser why

I guess like a revenant walking away could just look in the opposite direction over one shoulder, or alternately with the chin up which would be stupider:
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/reana/reana0911/reana091100092/5916777-beautiful-redheaded-girl-making-a-back-bend.jpg

I guess cacos and other fatties would have to be kinda twisty.

One more idea I had. I got this from mario kart snes. To explain, watch yoshi in the bottom of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giXBMC8ydOM
Yoshi only has 8 directional frames, but there is an animation ALSO packaged into those 8 frames (his tongue sticks out/in depending on direction). Its like a little hack to make an rotation AND animation all happen in 8 frames, so the same could happen with doom's 8 direction frames. Not sure what the animation could be, like instead of an imp's "walking frame a" or whatever just being static/same for all 8 directions, it could animate in some way as it turns around. Might be complex to tie it all together so "walking frame a"s 8 frames all go smoothly to "walking frame b"s 8 frames. Maybe not if "a" animated the head in some way, and "b" did the left arm in some way, so they are isolated/don't interfere. So like every time the imp faced back left from you its tongue would always be sticking out and its left arm would be raised, or whatever.
This idea is actually the same as the 'looking at you' idea anyway.

lol @ xaser

Grain of Salt said:

SS Nazis face you when attacking, whatever their target is. It's actually really unhelpful and is the only real reason i don't use them in maps.

Someone at ZDoom forums (I think) made the missing frames, looks very authentic, you can probably google it easily.

I imagine a dormant enemy statue with a head that always looks at you might be a cool effect.