Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Cacowards 2013 nomination thread

Should I nominate something that's practically ready to be released into idgames, or does it have to be in the /idgames archive.

Because I wanted to nominate Switcheroom, even though it's still being tested for bugs. I tried it out and it was pretty good.

+1 from me for BTSX - it has incredible music, textures, gameplay and manages to be more than the sum of its parts.

Also I'll echo Creaphis' nomination for Forsaken Overlook. It's probably the best single map I've ever played: huge, challenging, and beautiful with a genuinely epic feel.

I'd like to request a new award.

Have you ever played a mapset where the levels are just a piece of crap deserving of 0 or 1 stars BUT there is a level (or two) in the wad that is truly outstanding/legendary? I think these levels should be honored this year. If Monochrome Mapping does not win a cacoward, I would like to nominate Map 21 for this new reward.

How would we call that award? ... Pearl Diver? Lucky Oyster? The Secret Level?

LigH said:

How would we call that award? ... Pearl Diver? Lucky Oyster? The Secret Level?

Diamonds in the rough?

I nominate D2TWID, even if it fails to have the same amount of mediocrity as the original Doom II. But perhaps that's for the better.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/66113-doom-2-the-way-id-did-released/

Also +1 for Concerned, Hellbound, Unholy Realms (if released), Forsaken Overlook (best single level wad I've seen this year), and possibly: Interception, Hadephobia, Zone 300, one of the Chris Hansen maps, Certain Death.

And finally Kuchitsu. A very nice six map episode.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17055

FTuma said:

one of the Chris Hansen maps, Certain Death.

Thanks. But that's not one of my maps, it's by Serge Jaeken :)

I think it was just part of the enumeration. "Interception, Hadephobia, Zone 300, Certain Death, oh and also one of the Chris Hansen maps."

If possible, I'd like to replace my nomination for Monochrome with one for Hellbound. Hellbound is too legendary to be passed; and I'm pretty sure it's going to get a cacoward even without this nomination but better to be safe than sorry.

+1 HB
-1 Monochrome (however, I would like to nominate map 21 for the "Secret Level" cacoward if we can make it)

My other nomination for Damnation still stands.

Pure Hellspawn said:

for the "Secret Level" cacoward

:D - I am honoured by your name choice.

Pirate doom definitely deserves to win all the prizes. Looks like all the other great wads have been mentioned already, but I'll give another thumbs up for Hellbound.

I'm not sure if this is eligible or not, but I vote for Going Down E1 by Mouldy. I'd be perfectly fine if he decided to not make any more maps for this either way, considering how cool it already is. :P

Pure Hellspawn said:

your link to pirate doom takes you to Zone 300.

Also, how are the cacowards determined? Is it based on most nominations or do we get a period to vote?

It's entirely arbitrary. Your nominations are used to gauge community interest; the actual awards are determined by who spends the most money bribing the secret Cacoward Cabal.

But, yeah, nominations don't carry any actual clout besides shining a spotlight on a WAD you think deserves mention.

Chris Hansen said:

Thanks. But that's not one of my maps, it's by Serge Jaeken :)

The person below this is correct - I meant 'one of the Chris Hansen maps' and 'Certain Death'. Two separate nominations.

soner du said:

I nominate :

edit : link corrected

Zone 300 no way! (Gameplay is bad, too easy, and I rushed it)

But hey, this year is going to be a pretty hard year to chose from.

I will nominate these two.

Doom 2 the way id did
Unholy Realms

For me, there was a lot of fun stuff this year, and I'd like to just mention and support my very preferred ones and the must winners:

ConC.E.R.N.Ed - cannonball's simple-yet-effective style is just something I admire.
Pirate Doom - Hilarious sprite edits and fun gameplay, I kept smiling at it.
Fuel Devourer - Awe-inspiring.
Unholy Realms - Very skillfully crafted maps by all possible aspects.
Doom 2 The Way id Did - I actually disliked DTWiD (felt very "artificial"), but was really impressed by this, even though it sometimes felt "artificial" too. Maybe it's my deep-rooted adoration for Doom 2. :)
Forsaken Overlook - Looking gorgeous, and while I can't properly play it due to high difficulty, I can confirm that the gameplay part is crafted greatly as well.
Back To Saturn X - Great level set, great textures and music.

Extreme Weapon Pack for Mockaward. Or possibly also the Best Gameplay Mod :). Because all other gameplay mods out there have their weak points, while this one's made its own weak points into the strong ones.

EDIT:

Memfis for mapper of the year, since he constantly keeps coming with his small pieces, none of which was ever disappointing. All were nice and fun. I just have to say it, even though the general perception of "Mapper of the year" award may be different.

EDIT2:

I forgot to mention BTSX, added. Did I forget it counts as a this year's release?