Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Nekkropolis: The Final Satanic Rites

I want to restart this project before the year is over. I will shrink the level down to a normal size, and eliminate the rest of the open space. Moreover, I want to implement all of my first maps, totally reworked, with new custom enemies.

http://www.moddb.com/members/kontra-kommando/addons/infernal-immolation-demo

These maps are not so great as they currently are; they were the first ones I attempted. However, I want to expand upon them greatly, and change the graphics radically. They will be the first three levels of this WAD, with the massive cemetery being the final level. There will be all new weapons included.

I want to create a all new back story. Basically, you are an evil spirit reincarnated in the flesh to embark on a trial, in competition to join a pantheon of satanic Demon gods. The final boss will be your competitor, where you must fight to the death.

Nice "simcity" style construction idea, my only concern is that FPS may be slow when you finish it. Remember to add more buildings with 1 sided walls to help with that. And good luck on your project.

Holy christ, son. These screenshots are like 10MB each. Takes a while to open those.

Darch said:

Nice "simcity" style construction idea, my only concern is that FPS may be slow when you finish it. Remember to add more buildings with 1 sided walls to help with that. And good luck on your project.

I'm interested in that design process involving a large space and a geographic feature (that blood river) and designing the map around it by filling in space. It must be nice to have that as a visual aid to show you how close you are to being finished, and just fill stuff in until there's nothing left.

What would be the smartest way to design a map with that strategy?

40oz said:

I'm interested in that design process involving a large space and a geographic feature (that blood river) and designing the map around it by filling in space. It must be nice to have that as a visual aid to show you how close you are to being finished, and just fill stuff in until there's nothing left.

What would be the smartest way to design a map with that strategy?

Today I decided to turn the giant blood river into a massive crack in the earth, with two cascading layers of lava and magma. Moreover, I have placed over 1000 lost souls in a belt about the crack. I want it to give the illusion that the lost souls are emerging from hell. However, I noticed they all practically die after 15 mins. So I'll need to include a large number of Pain Elemental to produce more. Along the northern, and north eastern boarder, I placed two levels of plateaus, and a forest of trees. There is a small cabin near there as well.

Right now, I've visualizing where to place the important buildings and points of interest. Then I will sprawl out lesser structures around them, until they all merge into one. I want there to be a main crypt that you need to get inside of to face the final boss, and reach the exist. But in order to get inside, you will have to unlock 7 switches to enter. Each switch will be located in a point of interest, and protected by a cyber demon. There will be a puzzle to solve for each. Each door in the main crypt will be marked by a noticeable amount of a particular type of torch or decoration. You will know where the location of the particular switch would be, if you find the point of interest has similar torches or decorations. The color keys will be a secondary item, but very useful. Throughout the level, there will be rooms filled with weapons, ammo, health, and power-ups. You will need the keys to have access to them. The level itself, will be very sparesly provisioned with items to pick up. Further, I think there could be close to 5000 enemies, maybe more. I want this WAD to have an open world feel.

This reminds me of a concept I wanted to try once, where a city space would be allotted, and the map would be traded around to various users, with every person adding their own building. So then you'd have a whole city of vastly different structures, possibly with wildly differing gameplay styles. (Or just a bunch of boring, normal buildings.)

Of course, with basically all WADs of that style, you'll inevitably have somebody who takes the WAD and just disappears for weeks. I figured it would be far too difficult to coordinate, so I never tried it.

Anyway, I love massive, sprawling maps without clear direction or guidance, so I'll probably try this out when it's ready. Good luck! :)

Megamur said:

This reminds me of a concept I wanted to try once, where a city space would be allotted, and the map would be traded around to various users, with every person adding their own building. So then you'd have a whole city of vastly different structures, possibly with wildly differing gameplay styles. (Or just a bunch of boring, normal buildings.)

Of course, with basically all WADs of that style, you'll inevitably have somebody who takes the WAD and just disappears for weeks. I figured it would be far too difficult to coordinate, so I never tried it.

Anyway, I love massive, sprawling maps without clear direction or guidance, so I'll probably try this out when it's ready. Good luck! :)

Thanks a lot, I plan to have open beta tests as well.

I would like to make this WAD feel like a massive open world.

After I make everything functional, I'm thinking about adding in custom textures to the buildings for the final version. That in and of itself will be a massive project.

Yesterday, I started adding curves to my map. However, with experimenting with this, I created some errors, and I lost a day's worth of work. thankfully I had a back-up. Nevertheless, now that I've discovered using the linedef tab, the map will have more interesting, and realistic shapes.

The title of the project has officially been changed to Nekkropolis: Dawn of Doom. I have provide a link to a play through video, demonstrating 8 different zombies types, satanic wolves, and giant flying cockroaches. There are also appearances of previous custom enemies as well. I have implemented Sargent_Mark_IV's Universal Gore Mod Test 4. Moreover, I have used Scalliano's Former Scientist, and Former Scientists 2 packs as foundations for the 8 new zombies. I created the new sprites for the enemies, and modified the decorate files for the WAD. Further, I have decided to implement the Skulltag Minigun. The Giant Roaches are from the SNES Game EVO: The Search for Eden. I based it off of the two original sprite, and created the rest of them for the 360 perspective on the sprite sheet. I'll be sure to give full credit to each of the authors.

I recommend watching the video in HD.

I want to restart this project before the year is over. I will shrink the level down to a normal size, and eliminate the rest of the open space. Moreover, I want to implement all of my first maps, totally reworked, with new custom enemies.

http://www.moddb.com/members/kontra-kommando/addons/infernal-immolation-demo

These maps are not so great as they currently are; they were the first ones I attempted. However, I want to expand upon them greatly, and change the graphics radically. They will be the first three levels of this WAD, with the massive cemetery being the final level. There will be all new weapons included.

I want to create a all new back story. Basically, you are an evil spirit reincarnated in the flesh to embark on a trial, in competition to join a pantheon of satanic Demon gods. The final boss will be your competitor, where you must fight to the death.