Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uniQ

large areas

do you think d3 will contain outdoor/very-large-room(hangar?!) scenes like the new unreal? i heard nothing about that so far. and the vid only showed rather small areas exept the one with birdyman in it. this might be too intensive for up to date gfx-cards, won't it?

btw: willits said that the big badass monster at the end of the vid was a knight. no horns :(

A large area is as easy to process as a small room. Problem is, id's aiming at a certain level of detail. And games look good within the bounds of its technology when the design looks consistent across all the game world. So if id's making really large areas, they'll have to cram so much detail in there that most vid cards will chug horrendously. I'm not expecting to see large areas like, say, the Sunspire in Unreal, but rooms 10x as big as anything shown in the 11 minute video...yeah, sure. No problem.

now i can sleep well :) give me a hangar and a minigun and i will rip all evil creatures out of my space. and coop makes more fun in bigger areas. besides: if the knight is this tall how tall must the baron be? - oh yes, we need large areas! :)

DOOM wasn't good at large areas either.

Now Serious Sam, there's an engine capable of large areas.

Please, there was so much Z-fighting in the Serious Engine that you can't make decent detail without having it shuffle around like mad.

What´s with the intro sequence? People who saw the demo were talking about a Mars landscape, with a view of the "city" or base... if it shows a landscape, then there you have a terrain level, because the intro was rendered in-game like everything.

But I haven´t seen the intro by myself, so maybe it was just a smaller canyon, and no bigger landscape...

Yeah he missed a couple of seconds. In fact, a bit before dying he turns off the camera by about 2 seconds judging by the sudden change of location.

I'm not sure if the outer scene that is displayed when the guard gets possessed is real geometry or a skybox. There IS a real outdoor scene though, but we haven't seen nothing of it.

First off, great site.

It would have been nice to see the outside area, because they said the demo was running on a next-gen graphics card from ATI, it would have been nice to see if it could handle the outdoor areas.

Shaviro said:

Are all these new guys quakers?

No ;)
Ive just read the forems instead of posting something, because there was not much more to say about the old doom i think.
But Doom3 gives me a reason to talk here hehe.

Im still playing (GL)Doom today.

Burzum said:

No ;)
Ive just read the forems instead of posting something, because there was not much more to say about the old doom i think.
But Doom3 gives me a reason to talk here hehe.

Im still playing (GL)Doom today.

oh ok. Welcome to the posting part of the forums :)

(note: I didn't mean any offense with the quakers post)

I can't see why everyone is so obsessed with large outdoor areas - large areas suck because it usually takes AGES to get from point A to point B (especially with the slow movement speed in Doom 3) and because there's no real cover to make firefights interesting.

If Doom 3 has large outdoor areas, they had better be designed damn well for combat situations in mind for me to like them.

And yes, Carmack said a loooong time ago that they would probably work on giving the Doom 3 engine a simialr ability to handle outdoor areas as the Q3:TA engine, and yes, the intro sequence in the E3 demo (the one that was shown at E3 - the video recording doesn't have it) shows a large Martian landscape as some of the guys here say, so don't worry, Doom 3 will have your "wonderful" outdoor areas.

Large areas are good for two reasons: 1) they're a relief from the cramped claustrophobia of the corridors and 2) big rooms with fancy architecture are more impressive than fancily designed corridors.

Fredrik said:

Large areas are good for two reasons: 1) they're a relief from the cramped claustrophobia of the corridors and 2) big rooms with fancy architecture are more impressive than fancily designed corridors.

1) I don't have any trouble with claustrophobia, but at least now I know why so many people are so damn obsessed with them.
2) Big rooms are not outdoor areas, and it depends on who you are in regards to how impressive a room will be in connection with its size.

If you've played Vrack(2), you know how boring the hallways are compared to the open and outdoor areas.

Fredrik said:

If you've played Vrack(2), you know how boring the hallways are compared to the open and outdoor areas.

no. The vrack2 outdoor areas are bad. They're much better in V3.

Shaviro said:

no. The vrack2 outdoor areas are bad. They're much better in V3.

How would you know, you have only played the Vrack 7 beta that I renamed to confuse people.

Hey, I've tried Unreal and RtCW - both games have large outdoor areas afaik and I was completely indifferent to that fact - I still liked the "cramped space" levels the best.

I only care about eye candy so I want large areas. And outdoor areas, to really make clear that you are on Mars and not in hell. Until you go there.

But that's just me.

Fredrik said:

I only care about eye candy so I want large areas. And outdoor areas, to really make clear that you are on Mars and not in hell. Until you go there.

But that's just me.

yes. Me too. Outdoor areas help binding it together.

Shaviro said:

yes. Me too. Outdoor areas help binding it together.

Unfortunately, many level designers don't realize that. They just build room-corridor-room-corridor-room. Large rooms let you nest these corridors and rooms in more complex configurations with each other.

Fredrik said:

Unfortunately, many level designers don't realize that. They just build room-corridor-room-corridor-room. Large rooms let you nest these corridors and rooms in more complex configurations with each other.

It also gives something unique to remember when the level has been played.

Shaviro said:

It also gives something unique to remember when the level has been played.

I think you're being redundant now. Well, this is too, so I shouldn't complain.

Fredrik said:

I think you're being redundant now. Well, this is too, so I shouldn't complain.

err...whatever

Fredrik said:

Now Serious Sam, there's an engine capable of large areas.

Serious Sam large areas? The only way it could do big areas was by using miniscule polycounts, and non-existent terrain.