Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FTuma

300 (maybe up to 400?) lines: Let's do this again!

Are you up to make some levels for this?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are you up to make some levels for this?

• Yes!
    • Not right now, but possible soon
    • No

After seeing Zone 300 and at least the potential in several of the maps made for the 100 Lines project, I feel it only makes sense to go for another project of the same style. Levels may use stock textures, cc4-tex, or any (non-joke type) textures in a pack either linked to by the author or included in the wad file itself. The rules are mainly exactly the same as they were for the 100 Lines project (one Doom II level, vanilla-compatible, original music, and no joke maps), except this time the limit is 300, and authors are encouraged to make as much use of the limit as possible. I may consider levels with up to 400 lines if the extra lines are used to provide improved gameplay, not for extra detailing. All authors can make as many submissions as desired.

I should be able to look at and test all maps, and keep links to them in this OP. The only thing I may need help with is compilation/uploading at the end.

Deadline is undetermined at this time, but will be January at the earliest I am thinking, with as many wads as necessary being compiled. If things start out slowly and/or activity remains high then it will go on longer. Just like with the 100 Lines project, it is the author's discretion as to if they feel their map is suitable for an /idgames release.

So how about we get this going? I left a poll for if this is something you're interested in participating in.

Original textures? Do you mean the stock textures or textures we've made ourselves? Personally I'd recommend using a small texture pack for the sake of keeping things nice and diverse instead of looking all the same. I could probably produce something for this though. :)

The bulk of December is a break for me, so I'll have plenty of time to throw something together. The line limit may make for an interesting idea generator or something.

Obsidian said:

Original textures? Do you mean the stock textures or textures we've made ourselves? Personally I'd recommend using a small texture pack for the sake of keeping things nice and diverse instead of looking all the same. I could probably produce something for this though. :)

I had meant stock textures but actually I could probably allow use of the excellent CC4 texture pack if desired given its distribution and easy accessibility. I'll add it to the OP.

If you provide a link in this thread to a pack you want to use, OR add the textures to the wad file itself that you make, it's probably acceptable.

I'd try it. "Finishing things" isn't my strong suit but with the scope low enough like this I'm sure I could get something done.

If I was to make a sequel I'd increase it to 400 lines. Have no items in front of switches or meat corridors, at least 1 secret per map and a much higher difficulty too.

imo, like 1024, X lines is just an excuse to quickly make short maps and almost always results in sub-par levels with nothing interesting in them. I hope the fad dies. :D)

I liked the aspect of a punishing limit, forcing an emphasize to creativity. I'd be up for 200 lines.

I agree with Memfis though, the outcome tend to be subpar. Best if there'd be some extra rules to prevent that, like a proper quality control.

This sounds like my kinda thing but my mapping has hit a slump of late, so I guess I won't. Dang.

Don't worry Jayaxtee, there's plenty of time to think of/save some ideas! There's no committed deadline at all and that'll likely remain the case especially if things are slow to start and/or still going strong.

In response to pcorf's idea I'm considering accepting maps with up to 400 lines, as long as I feel the extra lines are used to provide more/better gameplay and not just for extra detailing. But 400 will be the cap.

@Memfis I don't think the comparison with 1024 here is warranted, really. In 1024 wads, providing a good amount of gameplay almost always means designing cramped spaces. With linedefs there's no such situation - rooms don't have to be small as the level need not fit into any particular fixed area.

Memfis said:

just an excuse to quickly make short maps and almost always results in sub-par levels with nothing interesting in them.

^^^^ this x100

I don't hope it dies or anything though, because it is fun, and if people are enjoying making maps then more power to the project. Results are indeed 90% uninteresting though (with the exception of a few authors who manage to craft up some avant-garde gameplay or neat nodebuilder quirks, which I feel will certainly be less prevalent the higher you allow the linecount to go)

Why should the fad die if 90% of the results are uninteresting? It's worth it for the 10% that is, IMO.

I didn't say it should die -.-. I do think however that if it continues the max lines should be kept pretty tight, otherwise it might end up feeling like a random collection of smallish levels.

I don't see why it should be concluded that a majority of the results will be uninteresting. The idea of 100 lines was a good idea, but especially after playing 900DITD (which was a wad I felt did it correctly), my thoughts is that where it fell through is in that too few authors were good/skilled enough to micro-manage to such an entremely harsh/tight limitation. I think 300 (to 400) lines should expand the playing field some, giving people who aren't strictly 'experts' at managing limits the fair chance to create good, short and to the point levels, but at the same time the limit is low enough that the overall idea the project sold on in the first place should remain largely intact.

In other words this limit seems to me like the 'sweet spot' of the overall idea, and one authors should be more successful with overall.

I personally enjoyed the hell out of 900DITD, especially the damned boss map. E1M8 usually sucks in PWADs, but this was a real nice one. Got killed 5 times before I fingered out the strategy. Also love E1M5.

I might try doing something for this once I get some of the epic-size maps I'm doing now finished. It would be a relief to work on something small and punchy.