Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FTuma

Other FPS games you play frequently

soner du said:

I'm currently into Shadow Warrior (using the now-free resource file with the SWP Engine).

Thanks! I was wondering if there were any source ports for Shadow Warrior, now that the game is distributed for free on Steam.

Blood unfortunately has no Windows ports. :( I'll have to play Death Wish one of these days though because I've heard it is totally awesome, and it's HUGE! As for Shadow Warrior (the original, of course) I remember playing it young, but nowadays everyone says it's so much inferior to Duke Nukem 3D (which I always loved and still do) that I don't want those memories to be crushed and therefore I'm not that inclined to play it. I've never played Wanton Destruction as well. I'm not sure if there's a good Windows port for SW, either.

Though, talking Duke Nukem, I am a real fan of Duke Nukem II (a platformer, but it is the prequel to Duke Nukem 3D), and I've seen many reviews (mostly on YouTube) give it some bashing that it really doesn't deserve. It's a great platformer IMO (maybe even one of the best on the PC, up there with the later Keen games).

Re Quake series, even if the quality of the gameplay in the originals is a bit debatable, or at least somewhat disjointed, I don't think you can deny there is awesome custom content for it. (And at least for Quake I, still a new release on occasion.) In fact Quake (II) is easily one of the three games I've played the most custom content for, together with Doom (II) and Wolfenstein/Spear. I need to catch up on Duke Nukem 3D, I have literally no clue as to how I haven't played that many custom levels for it (yet).

soner du said:

I'm currently into Shadow Warrior (using the now-free resource file with the SWP Engine).

You should try playing it with version 4.3.1 of SWP instead of 4.3.2 if you aren't already, I've experienced the save crash and corruption issue with 4.3.2, as far as I know there wasn't much of a noticeable difference between the two versions.

If Fallout 3/New Vegas count, then those are the ones I've been playing mostly these days. I just finished 3 for the first time the other day. I started New Vegas and am loving it so far. The gunplay isn't so great in these games, so that leads me to...

..The Fear series. Over the past few years, these games are the FPS that I've played the most. I started out with pirating the first one a few times. As soon as I had a way to pay for things online, it was the first thing I bought.

Got a newer computer last year that could play Fear 2, and that was a great game too. It felt a bit different from the first game, but was still enjoyable. Beat it 3 times since I bought it a year ago. I just picked up the DLC for it when it was on sale for a few dollars. It was short (2 hours) but it had some great moments.

Finally got to try out Fear 3. I've been holding out thinking my computer might not be able to run it well, and the bad reputation it seems to have. I've really been enjoying the game, but it feels very disconnected from the rest of the series. I'd say it was a good $1 spent.

Mysteries of the Sith recently, and other Star Wars stuff. Granted, not a lot of FPS in general, hell, haven't played Doom in a while either.

DooMAD said:

I play the odd bit of Mechwarrior Online (although technically it's Third-Person too if you prefer to play it that way). It's a good example of how a free-to-play model doesn't have to be unbalanced by paid users getting extra kit to play with, since teamwork wins above all else. I mostly use this sexy beast, the Jagermech JM6A. I like the fact that it's quite technical and each mech spec you come up with has to be a balanced compromise, factoring in things like cooling, speed, armour and firepower.

I'm August55 on MWO.

MWO is good fun.

Yeah I've always found the newer Elder Scrolls games to be FPS RPG. Morrowind was so mind blowing for that. Now since playing Half Life 2 and modern FPS, I can't go back to Oblivion where it zooms in on people's faces. It just breaks the experience for me when I never ever cared about that sort of thing.

I remember pissing a lot of people off on Amazon for calling Fallout 3 a FPS. They felt its a RPG with guns. When I felt you shoot things in first person. Clearly by the 300 dislikes I was wrong. Never have I gotten that much hate.

I haven't played FPSs frequently ever since I got tired of Doom, but over the last year I've finished Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon and the new Shadow Warrior. That's about it. Oh and a bit of Wrack.

geo said:

Elder Scrolls...RPG

lolwut? Show me one role playing game to come out of Bethesda, and I'll show you a person who's never played a real RPG like Planescape Torment or the original Fallouts.

Da Werecat said:

Well... Good luck assembling everything from tiny patches. :) I saw some tools capable of properly viewing enemies, but I don't remember them being able to export complete images.

I'm not the one who ripped those resources; I just did some quick cleanup.

Had a look. Well, a lot of the Beyond Zero Tolerance stuff is unusable because palette; or just damn ugly (sorta glad it was never finished, it's a bit of an affront to the eyes).

As for the Zero Tolerance stuff itself, it could take some time but I don't see why not. One problem could be the low-res of everything; no idea whether it's worth redrawing or just porting as-is in blockyvision -- I'd probably try to add height changes and non-45 degree walls into the thing as I recreate layouts, so this could be jarring.

I'm not sure if I'm interested enough to try and rope in a collaborator or two.... hmmm...

Jodwin said:
Oh and a bit of Wrack.

Oh, I've forgotten about it !

I play some Wrack too, but I'm waiting for the final release to really explore the game.

I have tried Killing Floor. I like single player better. Coop makes me get bored by the end of a map.

I'd like to get into another game, but my options are limited. I have a pretty new laptop: an i5 with Intel HD graphics. Games like STALKER and Left 4 Dead run fine on it, but that's about as recent as I can get. It annoys me when I run across a game that has simpler graphics than Source, but runs worse. The new rashes of MMOFPSs intrigue me; if only one of them ran well. When is SOE going to make Planetside free to play?

Flesh420 said:

I've been playing allot of Battlefield 2 lately. And working my way through Ghost Recon 1 campaigns.

BF2 is still the best game in the series imo. But, I still remember when DICE unbalanced by "fixing" the PKM.

Bucket said:

I'm not playing any FPSs regularly these days. I'm trying to get into STALKER and a HL2 mod called Synergy. The rest of my time is used up by Star Trek Online.

Isn't Synergy that Co-Op Mod?

I've been getting back into Doom 3 lately, surprisingly for once I've been enjoying it again, haven't felt this way about it since I first ever played it years ago (06/07).

It has been rather refreshing since the the newest fps crap I've been playing for a while now. :P

Rise of the Triad would be a good choice, classic Call of Duty and Wolfenstein 3d are also on the list.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (One of my top 3 FPS of all time) is also an amazing game i played through again recently.

Doom Builder sorta feels like another FPS within itself. It has consumed 100% of the time I would normally be playing video games. The only type of gameplay I experience all day is when I run tests.

Doom (series excluding Doom 3 as my copy just died on me :\), Duke Nukem 3D, Marathon (series), Halo (series, excluding 1, 2 and 4 because 1 and 2 are old Xbox titles my 360 refuses to run and 4 is shit), Quake (series excluding arena as nobody goes on the Xbox 360 port :\), Fallout 3 and New Vegas (But do they count?), CoD (When literally nobody is online) and last but not least Half Life (series)...

I need to get a life :|
(Because I only have HALF a life! ha ha... Ha.. Ha?)

Also, I'll probably be gearing up for some Counter Strike after having just bought the whole series off of steam. And some game called Chrome. Also, I have decided to resume Chaser after discovering just now, more than half way through it, there's actually a bullet time mode.

I've recently bought RAGE as it's finally available on Steam in my region and seriously... one of the BEST games I've ever played. It's a pity it met with negative opinions due to technical problems, because once you're through them (I have never experienced any - I assume Steam version comes patched) the gameplay is phenomenal.

Sure, it's a "rail shooter" with modern game elements such as iron sights and what not, but I really enjoy the game's atmosphere. I like to explore the cities talking to NPCs, trying mini-games etc., but I find those elements attractive because they're optional. I can go shoot things whenever I want to because that's what pushes the game forward. If I HAD TO do all this random stuff it would be tiring. Actually that's one of the reasons the new Duke Nukem failed according to some critics. The old game was a fast shooter with some jokes, cultural references and optional actions (taking a piss, paying a stripper) to introduce variety. DNF supposedly focuses only on those "optional things" at the cost of action. At least that's what I've read, I haven't played the game.

For the record: I can already see that Rage has no replay value like Doom and I will probably just run through it once, but the "first impression" was immense.

I don't play games that frequently nowadays. The only ones that I fool around in from time to time (sans Doom) are Natural Selection 2 (and seeing that my thread regarding it was ignored completely I could say that no one here cares about it, too bad since I really wanted to bite Ribbiks' ass, for instance) and Sanctum 2. I don't like playing games like these alone, so the former gets played mostly with Archi and buncha clowns, the latter - with a friend of mine who also bought it (for the displeasure of his wife). Occasional Quake (and other old stuff) outbreaks do happen, but not that often.

I recently (and finally) finished the first Borderlands. Was alright when I kitted my dude out with two kinds of shotgun: a scoped one for distance-sniping and a scatter-y one for from-the-hip shooting.

Basically, when I could play it more like Doom it was enjoyable. But not insanely so. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the second.

I also forgot in my earlier post how I love the shit out of the console versions of Powerslave/Exhumed. Yes.