Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

Starfox Doom

Starfox Doom

download:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/true3DStarfox.wad
for zdoom

It's an early stages (and probably won't advance much beyond early stages) "engine" lol for starfox-ish ship-like flight in zdoom, plus you can roll side to side.

Controls:
use: brake
strafe (hold or independent keys): roll/bank
forward: pitch down
back: pitch up
left/right: turn (yaw)

It uses 32 rotated dummy halls to fake the rolling (the same halls that were used to make the spiral hall in the previously titled thread). This is probably more of a programming exercise than trying to make something fun, but is a sort of cool toy.

------------------------------------------------
(older thread):
The Amazing Spiral Hall of Spiralness

For zdoom cuz uses slopes:
filedropper:
http://www.filedropper.com/true3dyawpitchroll-spiralhall
same thing on filesmelt instead:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/true3DyawpitchROLL-spiralHall.wad

This is a side effect bonus of something else I am still attempting to do. Normally in doom things go straight up and down. The doom player can't tilt his head (DO A BARREL ROLL) to the side and see stuff go sideways. Well I made 32 square halls that are rotated in increments all the way to 90 degrees (which is a square again).
Anyway, I should be able to make it so you can DO A BARREL ROLL, like control a plane or something and you can tilt side to side or go all the way around, caused by fake 3d instawarping to the appropriate hall as a rotation. Or something, probably makes no sense.
How I did it was I used python and pygame to rotate a square, then tediously entered all the line lengths and floor/ceil heights calculated into doombuilder.
So this is just like a spiral hall, but ultimately I want a thing where you can control a plane or whatever by rolling it while going forward.

EDIT: is there a zdoom bug regarding texturing sloped lines, or that's just how its supposed to look (like look at the normally textured normal perfectly verticle 90 degree wall, then look at 88 or whatever degree wall and see how the texture is all stretched. One thing is that the "wall" on the 88 degree one is actually the floor texture, not a wall texture, whereas on the 90 degree wall the wall is a wall texture. At least I think so.)

I clicked the link and I got an error message. :/ Would you be able to upload it to Filesmelt like you usually do?

gggmork said:

EDIT: is there a zdoom bug regarding texturing sloped lines, or that's just how its supposed to look (like look at the normally textured normal perfectly verticle 90 degree wall, then look at 88 or whatever degree wall and see how the texture is all stretched)

It's known behaviour. See http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_slopes#Avoiding_texture_stretching

Basically you need to use scripts or a whole bunch of extra control linedefs. Or use UDMF format which has sector parameters for scaling. With scripts you might actually be able to write code to apply the right value across all sectors using a formula, but that's just a guess, I've never done much with ACS at all.

Looks awesome BTW, well done.

I put a filesmelt link in the op. I might be able to do an example of the barrel roll thing with minimal hassle later, but you'd have to stay in the very center. To move around away from the center would require more complex thing rotations I think. I'm just gonna kill the doomguy with thing stop or whatever, and control a lost soul or something instead.

edit: plums: ok, thanks

Ggg at his finest heh. That must have taken some time to do. Didn't you do something like this in ggg12, but a bit smaller?

Woah, it's like the twisting hallway from Ocarina of time! I bet you could make something out of this. Like, give it some hellish textures and dark lighting or something.

ggg12 were boom maps so no slopes, but one map did kind of get a curvy stair effect.

Well, my other idea won't work well because zdoom doesn't seem to teleport a camera (or a player) around perfectly smoothly. Like in boom a walk over teleport line will instantly smoothly teleport you, but in zdoom there's this brief flash before every warp, like the screen didn't finish updating the last frame or the camera is warps improperly or something. Maybe its a zdoom bug. But you can see the gist of what I wanted here:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/true3DyawpitchROLL.wad
Just an experiment, not centered perfectly. But like I would have made it so maybe strafe left would rotate/bank left, and strafe right would bank right. And you might have wings and obstacles so you have to turn the right way to avoid a wall coming etc.

EDIT:
I forgot all about that ocarina of time room:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp54Lkjdeag#t=09m10s

Just bumping cuz I made a filesmelt link for all my maps again. The same ones many probably have already but I've never uploaded to idgames so here's a link until filesmelt erases it again just in case someone is interested. The 2013 folder has some more recent stuff like the auto cave generator, and stuff. The rest is the same old maps I've linked before. Some timeofdeath maps are in separate folder in the same zip just cuz there's lots of good demos in there. And harbringer is cool but not by me (by little white mouse map 2). funny bones by sigvatr, the rest by me, mostly various acs zdoom experiments or boom gameplay maps.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/00aMyWads.zip

Can a zip file of a mess of wads/folders/randomly for zdoom or boom be idgamesed? Also it has tod maps, 1 sigvatr and 1 littlewhitemouse thing in it because I was to lazy to remove the latter, so those should be removed if idgamesed. Also you probably already have most of this stuff tod, and kind of a big file so waste of time to re-download most of it.

Yeah, a cluster-eff of stuff can be /idgamesed, but I think a file like this really needs a text file that at least has a small description of what each map is and what port it's for. Shouldn't be too hard to cross-reference with this epic mork collection thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/59913-gggmork-list-of-mork-maps-with-demos/

I like the name "Mork, Murder, Art" - based on the Slayer song "Sex, Murder, Art"

Mork cuz you are sex, Murder for your hard maps, and Art for your art maps. But that's just me.

TimeOfDeath said:

*sees spiral in thread title*
*sees gggmork as thread starter*
*downloads wads*

My mental process to the letter.

This thread bump inspired me to work on the original idea, and I got the kinks out to make a lot of it working smoothly (think a shitty doom starfox where you can rotate/bank all the way around with the camera following your rotation). Took like 2 hours just to finally figure out using a boss target as a camera is bad because it can't spawn in thin sectors with steep slopes, even if up in the air with 0 gravity, so used a mapspot instead. Also took an hour to figure out how to make it spawn smoothly, for a smooth rotation illusion, instead of that stupid glitchy stutter warp it was doing. I'll update the thread later when I make more progress.

That is way cool. I think GZDoom Builder has an auto-scale-to-texture-size function for flats that might be able to even out the scaling for you on the slopes.

That would be handy (I guess its gzdoom only since I don't remember seeing it). There's probably some formula you can use for zdoom but might not be worth the time/effort.

FART SOCKS