Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clamgor

What's your Favorite Doom Music Track?

Each Doom song has its unique value to me so there are no favs.

For Heretic (Soundblaster), I like E1M1, E1M9, E2M2, E2M7, E2M9 and E3M3. My favorite is E1M2. It sounds intense and sadistic and gives childhood memories.

Strife: Intro/Area05 and interludes/Area20.

Enjay said:

Which one, E1M5 or E1M7?

If E1M5, I'm surprised by that because I thought it was quite popular. I've certainly always liked it anyway and it's a track that I quite often listen to just for the sake of something to listen to on my MP3 player, in my car, wherever.

Sorry, yeah, E1M5. I can remember a few comments on youtube etc., and at least one from a music remix/cover project, about it being a boring song. But maybe it is popular and I just have a bad sample size?

In addition to my favorite PSX songs in my earlier post, I really like the song that plays during the credits and demo. That particular track sums up Doom for me. If Doom 4 ever see's the day of light, Aubrey Hodges should get a chance to work on it.

1. Favorite "Ultimate Doom" track = "Deep into the Code"
2. Favorite "Doom 2" track = "Waiting for Romero to play"
3. Most HATED track in all of Doom = "Bye Bye American Pie"

I'll just say that I love all the music from the original Doom. These are just the tracks that first come to mind whenever I think of the music:

- E1M1/At Doom's Gate: Come on, this is Doom's theme song. It's single handedly the best track for a first level ever.
- E1M2/Imp's Song: This comes a close second, if not just as good but for different reasons. It perfectly reflect the feeling of being a lone marine, fighting demons through the dark corridors of a moon base. Incredibly atmospheric and very badass.
- E1M4/Kitchen Ace: Very much like E1M2 but a bit more fast paced and fun.
- E1M9/Hiding the Secrets: The track gets me so pumped that I often end up running straight into a room full of enemies, blasting everything with a chaingun and almost getting myself killed.
- E2M1/I sawed a demon: Great opening track to Shores of Hell. Like E1M4, it's just very fun.
- E2M3/Intermission: Who doesn't want to nod their head to this music?
- E3M2/Donna to the Rescue: This is the soundtrack to Hell and I love it.
- E3M3/Deep into the Code: The same reasons as E3M2, though not quite as memorable.
- Sweet Little Dead Bunny: This one's just incredible. I just love how it goes from calm and innocent to full on rock in a matter of seconds. And the fact that it's played over a decapitated bunny head and a burning city (setting up the sequel) just make it all the better. A perfect ending to this amazing game.

As for Doom II, there's some good stuff but it's sadly nowhere near as memorable as the original, at least for me. Waiting for Romero to play is easily the best simply because Pantera's This Love song just fits Doom so well for some reason. And I do enjoy the PSX and 64 soundtracks but no individual track seems to stick out. It's really atmospheric and creepy but tracks mostly sound the same to me. Plus whenever I play the PSX version of Doom, I just can't help but miss the original PC music. I know the Aubrey Hodges music has it's fans, but it's just not what I think of when it comes to Doom's soundtrack.

Piper Maru said:

If Doom 4 ever see's the day of light, Aubrey Hodges should get a chance to work on it.

I agree. His PSX and Doom 64 soundtracks are classic.

I kinda liked the music that plays when the balloons start attacking in
the "Happy Time Circus" wad.
What's it called anyway?

The Demon's Dead becomes an impromptu earworm for me more often than not. I also love the OC Remix by Mazedude more than I should, probably.

The theme from Human BBQ and Dead Zone in TNT: Evilution would get my vote just for that bass, too. Although I've never heard a high-quality version of it that does the immensely claustrophobic soundscape any justice.

I don't play with music on. For me, it breaks the atmosphere (if I were to kill demons and such, listening to music is probably the last thing I'd do). But I think there are some cool tracks, Getting Too Tense, or I Sawed the Demons. Having said that, nothing beats scorched savanna.

Jayextee said:

The Demon's Dead becomes an impromptu earworm for me more often than not. I also love the OC Remix by Mazedude more than I should, probably.

The theme from Human BBQ and Dead Zone in TNT: Evilution would get my vote just for that bass, too. Although I've never heard a high-quality version of it that does the immensely claustrophobic soundscape any justice.

The demons dead get stuck in my head often and I end up humming during class's with out noticing it.

Guest Unregistered account

I'd probably say "Demons on the prey", "Sandy's City", or something like that. All of the music tracks are awesome in my opinion, apart from "Deep into the code".

My favorite track also happens to be heard on my favorite stage, which is Doom 64's Dark Citadel. I remember I liked that stage so much that I made an epic Unreal Tournament 16-man death match version of it way back in late 2000 I believe it was. My version was all eye-candy and much too big for proper death match flow, but I enjoyed just wandering around in it.

It was my favorite map and track too, long ago I found a remake of that map for Quake 3 Arena a long with Watch Your Step and Even Simpler, I played it quite a lot with bots.

Picking 5 from Doom and Doom 2:

The Imp's Song - Simply put, this is the one song that always reminds me of playing Doom for the first time (bizarre considering I played Doom II first). It just has a cool, throwback sound to it as you just don't hear music like this in FPS games anymore. I love the harpsichord at the end.

Dark Halls - Perfect ambient track to mark a darker tone in a map without going completely into hellish territory. A unique sound that really adds a layer of atmosphere to E1M3 that wouldn't exist otherwise.

Suspense - This one perfectly sets up what's to come in a map. Very haunting and spooky sound that signifies things are no longer safe. This is on a nighttime playlist of mine and always gets me thinking about new ideas for traps. Probably the single most underrated track from the games, IMO.

Waiting for Romero to Play - This one's bizarre in a way. It's sort of relaxing to hear but at the same time sets up an inescapable eerieness that can functional in almost any scenario. It's probably the only "calm" Doom track that can be used in slaughter-esque scenarios and still function properly. The spiccato is a nice touch.

Getting Too Tense - Dark, pulsing track that's just a good listen. In all honesty, picking just 5 is sort of impossible but if I had to choose one last track to listen to, it'd probably be this one. Perfect way of saying the end is nigh.

"Sign of Evil" (E1m8) definitely the most iconic music track for the most iconic level of the series... come on.. 2 Barons?? you're kidding me ?? Hard times when you must play with kayboard only!

Avoozl said:

Not many people seem to list Sinister, it seemed like the evilest track in Ultimate Doom.

I finally started to like that track when I kept hearing it in the Skulltag maps.

It did fit the fact that the level was called 'Halls of the Damned'

Avoozl said:

Not many people seem to list Sinister, it seemed like the evilest track in Ultimate Doom.

Out of the UD tracks, it's a definite favorite. It played over the Doom 95 launcher. Good times!

I like a lot of Doom tracks, but I prefer the more sinister/melodic ones. If I had to pick one, it would be "waltz of the demons" from 1 and "message of (from? to?) the archvile" from 2. If I was allowed 3, then I suppose add "sign of evil" and "hiding the secrets" to 1, although at this point I want to include a lot of the other tracks, like e2m4, e2m2, e2m8, e3m1, text intermission, etc. And for three of doom 2, you could add "DOOM" (map05) and the text intermission music. I hum most of those a lot when I walk.