Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

How are your wads and source ports set up? (folders)

i have three gzdoom folders (had a couple of things like psxdoom clash) and one for skulltag (a nice quick and dirty substitute for a "clean" zdoom installation), zandronum and odamex in their own dirs, idgames local copy (levels, themes, everything except the useless stuff), risen3d, and a few folders of wads that I've found just sitting in a directory on the internet via an apache server (which come to about 120gb!). How do you have everything organised? I'm especially interested in how you have idgames organised, I haven't unzipped anything because it's too messy, though it is a pain having to drill down several dirs deep... I have to admit that half the time I just download a wad to the desktop instead of search for it.

I have my various ports in their own folders and then I'll place the WAD (or .pk3) in the port folder I'll most play it in. For example, doom.wad is placed in the gzDoom folder.

Should be mostly self-explicit.

Doom
├───Ports
│   ├───Chocolor
│   ├───ECWolf
│   ├───Eternity
│   ├───PrBoom+
│   └───ZDoom
├───Saves
├───Screenshots
├───Source
│   ├───ACC
│   ├───AGezDoom
│   ├───AMyGZDoom
│   ├───Builder
│   ├───ECWolf
│   ├───Eternity
│   ├───GZDoom
│   ├───GZDoom64
│   ├───Old
│   │   ├───AIL
│   │   ├───Boom
│   │   ├───Carnage Galore
│   │   ├───Chocolate
│   │   ├───DeHackEd
│   │   ├───Deu
│   │   ├───DeuTex
│   │   ├───Doom
│   │   ├───DoomBFG
│   │   ├───DoomUtils
│   │   ├───Heretic
│   │   ├───Hexen
│   │   ├───ImageTool
│   │   ├───Jaguar
│   │   ├───Kex
│   │   ├───Legacy
│   │   ├───MBF
│   │   ├───Rise of the Triad
│   │   ├───Risen3D
│   │   ├───ShadowWarrior
│   │   ├───Skulltag
│   │   ├───Slade Scraps
│   │   ├───Slumped
│   │   ├───SMMU
│   │   ├───TiMidity
│   │   ├───Vavoom
│   │   └───Wolf3D
│   ├───Slade
│   ├───Slade3
│   ├───zcajun
│   ├───ZDoom
│   └───ZDoom64
├───Stuff
├───Tools
│   ├───ACC
│   ├───GZDB
│   ├───PNG
│   ├───SLAB6
│   └───ZDBSP
└───Wad
    ├───Autoload
    ├───Custom
    ├───Doom
    ├───Doom2
    ├───Doom64
    ├───Final
    ├───FraggleScript
    ├───Heretic
    ├───Hexen
    ├───IWAD
    │   └───Master
    ├───Palettes
    ├───Plutonia
    ├───Resources
    │   ├───HUDs
    │   ├───Music
    │   └───Textures
    ├───Scraps
    ├───Strife
    ├───Test
    ├───TNT
    └───Wolf3D

I just cram all my wads into a folder named "Doom WADs", and some of my source ports have their own folders. It's a little unorganized, but I can find what I need. It's currently using only a gigabyte of storage space.

Everything is shoved into whatever source port file I am using, so most files are in pr-boom plus, a couple in choco doom and gzdoom. Like ribbiks I am too lazy for anything fancy

I have two template GZDOOM folders (one for vanilla / BOOM mapsets with the correct compatibility, no mouselook, no jumping, no crouching, etc, and one for GZDOOM mapsets). When there's a mapset I want to play, I create a separate folder for it, copy the contents of an adequate GZDOOM folder and put a WAD inside. I also have them divided into Megawads, Mapsets and Maps.

I usually run everything from the command line/batch files, so I just put everything in the same folder and sort it by file type. Easy that way.

I used to have a WADs folder with different folders for each port, but recently I stopped doing that and just throw all the port-specific WADs in with the executable. I use CDL's tree view to launch them more often than not.

Everything* goes in C:\DOOM2. I've never seen any logic or benefit in having separate directories for each port/exe.

* Apart from archived back-up material, local mirrors of file libraries, etc.

Most of the stuff is in the same folder, it has over 10 000 files I think and takes more than minute to open, hate that lol.

Grazza said:

any benefit in having separate directories for each port/exe

For .lmps, having them listed by category (category = folder) really helps me finding them. Or, sometimes, "I'm in a mood to watch a Nightmare! demo", it's 10 seconds and not 2 minutes in deciding which one.

WADS: keeping copies of WADs in a folder in which I browse maps with DoomBuilder is a must for safety reasons (overwriting changes by mistake).

I'm kinda messy by nature so I have a D:\Games\Gzdoon (why N and not M I can't remember) folder that has all the wads, and also both zdoom and gzdoom which I've since realized isn't something one should do but oh well. In it I have various folders, including one for chocolate doom (with a chocorenderlimits folder inside that one), one for prboom with demos and proper wad versions for those demos (my own levels mostly) and several random folders with sprites and music and stuff for my megawad-in-progress. I apologize if that made anyone cringe.

~/Games/doom for WADs, some VCS clones of ports, and idgames.

all my ports are installed via my package manager, so /usr/bin/chocolate-doom, /usr/bin/eternity, /usr/bin/prboom-plus, /usr/bin/gzdoom, etc.

I use subfolders in d:\doom2\. WADs go into a flat \wads directory, because running stuff via a batch file just works better thay way. LMPs go into a nested structure, because I'm usually looking for something specific without remembering the details, and I often do a lot of comparing and researching and whatnot. Ports all have separate dirs, the zdoom derivatives would probably clash over some files otherwise (setting up DOOMWADDIR is the key here). Also, a separate dir for c/s port demos is pretty much a necessity when you autorecord everything with the date put into the filenames, and file logs. That can spiral out of hand very fast, heh.

I have the source ports in their own separate locations, so they're kind of "all over the place". I usually put a copy of the IWADs in the folder of each port. All the PWADs are thrown together in C:\DOS\WADS. I mainly use the command line for loading PWADs, with both ports and vanilla DOOM.

HK!D said:

I just cram all my wads into a folder named "Doom WADs", and some of my source ports have their own folders. It's a little unorganized, but I can find what I need.

Do you one-folder guys also have the problem with the wad directory opening for way too long? (> 1 min)

Folder Doom DVD X/Megawads or Miniwads/Doom 1 or Doom 2/Folder with ZDoom and the wads and batch files. I have 5 Doom DVDs, yes! A hacker could destroy my whole computer, but I still had the 5 Doom DVDs.

The wads I'm playing and stuff that's used on a regular basis are in C:\Doom95. The Archives directory contains older versions of the IWADs and DOS executables.

C:\Doom95
   ├───Archives
   ├───MasterLevels
   ├───Ports
   ├───Tools
   └───Wads
On E:\ there's a mirror of the archive, my work-in-progress stuff and wads leeched from various sources. On F:\ there's a collection of stuff that's no longer on /idgames (either superseded or deleted), older versions of ports and utilities plus iso images of my shovelware CD collection.

I use one folder, C:\Doom, for all my ports with a folder inside called 'Essential' this contains all my iwads as well as Weeds soundfont and PSXSM music wad. Other than that, I have a folder, C:\WADs, which contains all the WADs I have or will play. I used to be a lot more organised but it became a bit cumbersome and a bit anal...

Antroid said:

...and also both zdoom and gzdoom which I've since realized isn't something one should do but oh well...

Why not? I've done this for years and I haven't noticed any problems. What kind of issues can this cause?

Memfis said:

Do you one-folder guys also have the problem with the wad directory opening for way too long? (> 1 min)

My custom PC has no problem loading my 8.5GB of doom files. But then again, I would expect as much for 1300$

/brag

I try to keep everything in ~/doom. This has subdirectories that are things like: Subversion/Git checkouts of source ports and other Doom-related projects; particular versions of Doom and Doom-related games (which I have an archive of and are named according to a standardized naming scheme); and other random mini-projects and hacks.

I have DOOMWADPATH set up to point to all of the standard IWAD files. I usually have ~/doom/wads that includes random PWAD files I've downloaded and want to keep around.

I have all of my IWADs, PWADs, editing programs and source ports in their own respective subfolders inside a folder called "DOOM" I can easily access through my desktop.

Folders and subfolders all over the fucking place. Desktop, Documents, C:\... there is no real organisation to it at all, but I know where everything is so it doesn't bother me.

I place everything into the old skulltag folder I made since 6 years ago ,I launch IDE and everything is neat as hell, there's a single player tab when I open it, it has all this neat stuff.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Source port: MAP:
Prboom+ (usual source port, has it's own folder) MAP01(usual)

Iwad: Skill:
Doom2.wad(usual) Ultra-Violence(usual)

Additional Pwads: Monsters:
(Random Pwads/Pk3s/more)[]No monsters []Respawn []Fast

Sound: []No sound []No music

Additional parameters: Demos:
(Random parameters Ex: -complevel 2)[]Record demos
Demo name:prboom+_Doom2.lmp
[]Add data_time to demo name
[!]Use common demos folder
[Set default] [Start game] [Play demo]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

There's also a configuration setup you can make so you won't have to remake the configurations every re/bootup, and the rest are multiplayer related.
IDE is really comfortable if you ask me. :P

I have a couple folders with barely any organization.

One folder contains zDoom, the base Iwads, and a couple other pwads here and there. Most of my own wad projects end up saved here as well. Inside is also a folder with a couple texture packs and other loose images, as well as a few decorate projects.

A seperate folder contains chocolate doom, and whatever I happen to be testing at the time gets copied over here, as well as viewing demos.

The last contains skulltag and a bunch more pwads. In addition, there is the ide server thingy, and within that file lies all the pwads I gathered via multiplayer.