Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMAD

GameMaker Studio currently free

Normally $50 for the Standard version, but you can register it for free for a limited time: https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

I haven't actually used it yet, but used to enjoy dicking about with Klik'n'Play and The Games Factory, so I'll assume this is similar and figured I might as well get it while it's free.

So all the Standard version gives you over the Free version is... unlimited resources. Whatever that means.

It doesn't look free to me. It says the standard version costs 50 bucks.

EDIT: What on earth is in the master collection that makes it worth 500 bucks?

You've got to update to the beta to get it for free. You can do it through the tray icon, not sure why they don't have a bigass "update" button in the program itself, but there you go.

hardcore_gamer said:

It doesn't look free to me. It says the standard version costs 50 bucks.

Yeah, there's no mention of it on the site itself, but it definitely gave me a registration key for Standard and I definitely haven't paid $50 bucks. I only found out because I have a friend who does gaming news videos on youtube and he mentioned it on this weeks vid.

If the only difference is unlimited resources, why upgrade? I gave up on game maker studio a long time ago and went to real programming software. But after seeing the last Mojam where 2 teams made sellable games in 2 days I'd say Game Maker is viable now.

Bucket said:

So all the Standard version gives you over the Free version is... unlimited resources. Whatever that means.

According to Wikipedia - the free version "limits the user from using more than 10 types of any resource, and excludes features from the other versions."

hardcore_gamer said:

What on earth is in the master collection that makes it worth 500 bucks?

You get a $300 compiler and $800 worth of export modules (mainly for mobile devices), and all future modules.

I've only ever used a few v5's, v6 and v7 of Gamemaker until I stopped ever touching it, I used to use it while I was joined at the ZFGC site trying to make a Zelda game with it which I started back in 04.

Now I've got an email from them saying I can get Professional for $25 but the offer is only valid 'til this Friday, 6th Dec. I don't know for certain if I'm going to make anything with it or not, so I won't be doing that, heh. Grabbed it as a "just in case" for the future, in the event that I ever come up with some fantastic idea for a game and then remember that I can't code for shit, heh.