Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zed

Journey to Hell: was there a final release?

Hi there. Anybody here knows if there was a "final release" of Journey to Hell? I have what it seems to be the last one posted in this forums, the file size is 16,561,707 bytes. Also, was there ever a "fixed" release of NewDoom Community Project II? MAP02 and MAP19 for example, were "broken" if not played with ZDoom, if I'm not mistaken. I appreciate your help.

Zed said:

Hi there. Anybody here knows if there was a "final release" of Journey to Hell?

Nope. Only broken-ass versions are currently available, no actual bug-free playable final version exists. I sort of tinkered with it a long time ago but could never be bothered to get it whole into playable state. Maybe someday.

joe-ilya said:

"asdfjkl6"
Is there a full version somewhere?

I downloaded a copy from a well-known wad resource (I won't put the link since I haven't checked it properly and I don't know if it contains warez, so I'm not taking that risk). The file size is 12,363,501 bytes and nowhere in the text file it implies it's an "incomplete" version, AFAIK.

j4rio said:

Nope. Only broken-ass versions are currently available, no actual bug-free playable final version exists. I sort of tinkered with it a long time ago but could never be bothered to get it whole into playable state. Maybe someday.

Thanks for your answer. Does this means that it is somehow unplayable? I mean, it is obviously very, very difficult, way beyond my skill, but are those other versions "impossible"?

They are not really finished at all, so the question of difficulty is somewhat irrelevant.

? I've played about 20 jth maps in ZDaemon, the only problem I remember is the wrong key in one of the maps (red instead of yellow or smth), aside from that it seemed fully playable and finished enough... Didn't seem too hard to me either, only pistol start was tricky in some levels but after clearing the first few areas usually the rest could be done by just standing in the doorway and shooting at monsters in the next room. We had item respawn on though so obviously I can't comment on item balance, is that where the difficulty/incompleteness comes from?

Yeah, most maps in 20+ were pretty much unfinishable from pistol start, so I figured they aren't really finished/tested and basically were just senseless mishmash.

I may have missed out on the thread when it was in progress or something, but I just tried Journey To Hell for the first time last week and only got a few levels into it. I liked it a lot, I especially like the Hell Revealed 1 style it mimics pretty well.

I vaguely recall this wad (or it's author) getting some bashing, and I'm sensing some hostility towards it in this thread. I haven't gotten far enough to see the 'unfinishable' parts I guess, but is that really the only reason for it? I mean, my first major project was about twenty-some maps of varying and questionable quality but I don't remember getting much flak for it.

I think the issue was mostly some drama going on behind the scene rather than anything about the project itself.

40oz said:

I vaguely recall this wad (or it's author) getting some bashing, and I'm sensing some hostility towards it in this thread. I haven't gotten far enough to see the 'unfinishable' parts I guess, but is that really the only reason for it? I mean, my first major project was about twenty-some maps of varying and questionable quality but I don't remember getting much flak for it.

Gez said:

I think the issue was mostly some drama going on behind the scene rather than anything about the project itself.

If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the levels being "too similar" to Alien Vendetta or Hell Revealed:

Grain of Salt said:

It's important to mention, for people who've never heard of this wad before, a large number of the maps in here (still) are essentially remakes of pre-existing maps (mostly from HR, AV and HR2).

This is just an example, of course, but you get the idea. Some people were not happy with that.

@IRod54: Thanks for the link.

IRod54 said:

Latest done, may 33 is incomplete
https://www.mediafire.com/#ep889zeddevhm

Actually, this one is latest.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/jthlatest1.wad

It's still far from even remotely finished, because I wanted to purify most of maps from gameplay in original jth and some stuff turned gimmicky the way I didn't really like. Some maps are unfinishable because there are undone voodoo sequences as I eventually ran out of free time.

j4rio said:

Actually, this one is latest.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/jthlatest1.wad

It's still far from even remotely finished, because I wanted to purify most of maps from gameplay in original jth and some stuff turned gimmicky the way I didn't really like. Some maps are unfinishable because there are undone voodoo sequences as I eventually ran out of free time.

Could you make a list or maybe point out what is missing/incomplete? If IRod54 is cool with this, then we might "tune it up" for a final release.

It's not really as unfinished as not-fine-with-me kind of unfinished. I wanted to change almost everything with the wad and then change 90% of stuff I've already changed before. Meh.

Most of 20+ are for the most part untouched.

This is original version of jth before I touched it, btw.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/jth.wad