Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Wad File Recycling Center Map Project

How many map packs or wads have been successfully completed that utilize other people's unfinished maps? There was a thread awhile back where one user was asking for people's incomplete wads with the intention of finishing them or something like that.

Why not try to do a "Harlequin" wad for Doom 2, comprised of unfinished submissions. Submissions will be grouped together based upon the general theme they follow. For example, submissions following a Hell theme would be listed in one section and then pieced together. Then, base-themed maps, wood/metal maps and so on.

This will ensure that the maps will look somewhat cohesive, while having a somewhat disjointed and disconcerting feel (as opposed to the randomization you get from a SLIGE map). If you have maps that you think have potential, but are languishing on your computer because you didn't have the time or drive to finish them, sign up now. One room done so far? No problem. Please note if your submission uses scripting, non-stock textures or a specific format/sourceport. Credit will be given to the author of each unfinished map used and the person who stitches them together.

After all, waste not, want not.

Base Theme
Arcane 1 - Memfis
Base 1 - Eris Falling
BFG Base (UDMF format) - Job
Eureka - Memfis
HZPoka - Memfis
Kuchitsushish - Memfis
Nukage Plant (UDMF format) - Job
Requiem 3 - Memfis
Skill Saw - Memfis
TNT 2 Final - Memfis

Brick/Castle Theme
Jute Castle 1 - Memfis
Jute Castle 2 - Memfis
Kuchitsushish - Memfis

City Theme
Hotel Escape - General Rainbow Bacon
TNT 2 Another Attempt - Memfis

Hell Base Theme
MDL - Memfis
TNT 14 Mem - Memfis
Triplex 03-31 - Memfis

Hell Castle Theme
Caco's Den (UDMF format) - Job
End of Sanity - General Rainbow Bacon
Pyramid Battle - General Rainbow Bacon
Triplex 03-31 - Memfis

Marble/Rock
Arcane 2 - Memfis
Colormahera - Memfis
Map X - General Rainbow Bacon
Temple of Shaitan - General Rainbow Bacon
TNT Mem - Memfis

Wood and Metal Theme

Other/Gonzo Theme
Doom0Alpha (Skulltag format) - joe-ilya
MLPV Nazi - Memfis

So, uh... is this supposed to be a mapset made up simply of unfinished maps? (what if they don't even have an exit?) Or are people supposed to finish each other's maps?

JudgeDeadd said:

So, uh... is this supposed to be a mapset made up simply of unfinished maps? (what if they don't even have an exit?) Or are people supposed to finish each other's maps?

Good questions. Once the sectors of the unfinished maps are put together, anything necessary to make it a completely functional map can be added at that point (i.e. player starts, exits, fixed errors, item balance, etc.).

Originally, I was intending to take all the submissions and do that work myself, but if anyone wants to help, that would be great. Of course, credit is given to the author of each unfinished map used and the person who stitches them together - I'll update the OP to say this.

Thanks for the contribution, joe-ilya. After going through your wad, the best fit I could find was in the Other/Gonzo theme. I've got you listed in the OP now.

I've heard this proposed many times. I never hear about such projects being finished.
Sadly, my problem is not finishing maps but starting them.

Bucket said:

Sadly, my problem is not finishing maps but starting them.

Well, that may not help me much, but at least you don't have a bunch of unfinished maps on your computer.

Ragnor said:

True to the source then?

Not sure I get your meaning.

Bucket said:

He means a megawad of unfinished levels going unfinished.
I think.

Ah, okay. The only way this won't get done is if there aren't enough submissions. Whether this project is completed or not ultimately depends on the DW forum members.

oh cool, I can dump all my shit here :)

Triplex03-31 - two maps for prboom-plus -complevel 2, new textures and other graphics + dehacked.

tnt2final - one map to play with TNT as iwad and tnt2 as additional pwad (for textures; load it before tnt2final), tested in vanilla, OK.

Colormahera - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 2, new textures and sprites, based on OBLIGE or SLIGE level, I don't know for sure (people more familiar with level generators should be able to tell I guess).

kuchitsushish - 7 maps for prboom-plus -complevel 2, new textures and sprites.

jutecstl - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 3, iwad DOOM, new textures and sprites.

jutecstl2 - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 3, iwad DOOM, new textures and sprites.

mlpvnazi - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 2, new textures and sprites.

hzpoka - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 2.

intodeep - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 2, requires a texture pack that is included in the zip.

requimem3 - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 2, requires requiem.wad for textures.

eureka - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 2, new textures.

mdl - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 2, new textures (and sprites? don't remember).

arcaneme1-2 - two maps for prboom-plus -complevel 9, requires a texture pack that I'm not allowed to share I think, but at least you can have the level geometry.

tnt2mcrap - 3 maps for vanilla, iwad TNT, some might need tnt2 wad for textures.

skillsaw - one map for prboom-plus -complevel 9, needs lunatic.wad for textures (load it before skillsaw.wad)

I hope this will help you get the project started. I'll try to find more maps to post but my Doom folder is a mess so it might take some time.

Thanks, Memfis! Dump away! I will update the OP after I sift through your submissions.

Thanks again to General Rainbow Bacon and Memfis for the great submissions. Your maps are updated in the OP now. After seeing the variety of maps offered, I had to make some changes and expand the themes listed in the OP, but that's a good problem. Part of the challenge is getting enough submissions to create functional levels, because some of the maps provided are starting areas or several rooms, whereas some are nearly complete levels.

This is a great start, but we have a long way to go. After sifting through the maps received so far, I'm both intimidated and excited at the challenge of this project. But thanks to the talented and generous members of this community, we have a solid foundation!

Base1.wad, posted some shots of this in the picture thread, it was the one with the spires. I was only going to delete it eventually.
EDIT: I can't remember the format used. Either Doom 2 or Boom. Stock textures.

Thanks for the submission, Eris. I will update you in the OP now.

I have a few submissions I could throw at you, an eclectic mix of my (awful) first maps, an unfinished 1024 map, and a couple ZDoom projects that didn't pan out. They're on another computer, though, so it could be a while. Plus all of them suck and most are no more than a few rooms, so you and other contributors would have your work cut out for you.

StupidBunny said:

I have a few submissions I could throw at you, an eclectic mix of my (awful) first maps, an unfinished 1024 map, and a couple ZDoom projects that didn't pan out. They're on another computer, though, so it could be a while. Plus all of them suck and most are no more than a few rooms, so you and other contributors would have your work cut out for you.

Feel free to send them this way. Based on what I've received so far, most maps that are extremely "goofy" will probably end up combined into secret levels, since most of those have strange gameplay elements or even SS guys. At this point, I don't really have any standards for what can be submitted. All I ask is if you can state which map slot it occupies and what style it is, that will save me some time. Thanks!

I don't know if you're still doing anything with this, but I've compiled a bunch of maps that I'll likely never finish, along with some scraps. If you can use them, go for it. They all run on map01 with the exception of d2twid_002.wad, which runs on map16.

Link

03-15-10 - An outdoor tech-base intro section
03-29-12 - A section of a large, blocky outdoor base with lots of nukage
07-18-13 - This was going to be a large, non-linear marble/stone/metal map laid out like a gothic city
08-28-13 - A small tech-base start area
09-19-13 - A large, non-linear tech-base map that was left unfinished
12-06-11 - The first few areas of a gothic/hell map with ludicrous amounts of detail
12-07-11 - Ditto, could probably be stitched together with the previous file
12-18-11 - I was going to try my hand at a large-scale gothic/hell slaughter map, never got past the first area
d2twid_001 - A left-over from when I was working on Passage to Exile, a simple puzzle in a small marble arena
d2twid_002 - The beginnings of what was to be a Doom2-styled city map
doom2_wip_001 - A few sections of yet another meticulously detailed gothic/hell map I began years ago, could possibly be used with 12-06-11 and 12-07-11
doom2_wip_002 - The beginnings of what I'd envisioned as a massive gothic structure built into a huge lava canyon
plutonia_001_wip - The first few areas of a map I began several years ago using the Plutonia resources; moderate detail