Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-13: A THANKSGIVING WITH NO BURGERS

Here is the second alpha of 32in24-13.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6650582/32in24-13/32in24-13_alpha2.zip

I think from this point on, I'll provide a new alpha each night. Anyhow, the changelog!

• "Super Sweet Candy", "Discount Slaughterhouse", "Apocalypse Aftermath...", "The Guacamole Shuffle!", "Marbled Blue Cheese", "It's Definitely Edible, Just Try It!", "Tap Water and Mayo Sandwiches", "Fast Food for Thanksgiving", and "Welcome to Pizza Void" have been updated by their authors.
  • Fixed huge texture bleeding in "Late Night Porking" by rebuilding its nodes. (Thanks to nub_hat for finding this!)
  • Fixed a glitch in "Steak and Kidney Stones" with some railing textures (linedefs 278, 293, 586 and 601) showing up as one-sided walls, as they had two sidedefs but were not marked as Double Sided. (Thanks to nub_hat for finding this!)
  • Added an EMAPINFO lump, so all levels can be played properly in the Eternity Engine.
  • "Grand Slam"'s stat screen title graphic was created and included in the WAD, but didn't get converted from BMP to a Doom graphic as I was in a rush to get the first alpha out. This time, it has, so now it appears in Eternity. (Thanks to esselfortium for noticing this!)
  • Corrected a compiler-induced spelling error in MAP13's title ("Sauce" was misspelled "Suace" also because of my rushing) that was present in the text file/WADINFO and the MAPINFO.
  • "Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes" has been changed back to "Blue Cheese Mashpotatos" [sic], as it turned out that misspelling was intentional.
(EDIT (Dec. 4, 2013 12:35 AM): Added a level name accidentally left out of the first bullet point of this changelog.

nub_hat: I might be wrong but I don't think exits are required. There are already several other maps with them, though, so no harm done in adding it.

esselfortium said:

nub_hat: I might be wrong but I don't think exits are required. There are already several other maps with them, though, so no harm done in adding it.

They're only required for vanilla maps because vanilla Doom doesn't have frag limits, so people would think of a frag limit and when the limit was reached, they would have to go and exit the level.

thank you for figuring out that HOM in map12! I kept moving that line around, creating new sectors but it kept coming up, even when sometimes it looked like I had fixed it. It was driving me nuts.

dew said:

a lot of stuff

3 cg, 2 plasma, 2 rl, 6sg, 10 ssg is the current arsenal here; also i added a specific part for rocket jumpers only, i hope this is now a little better, and thank you for your time :)

link updated.

https://www.mediafire.com/?1aaddjyvmovlnb5

EDIT: i have arranged a midi for it, it is from turmion katilot's "kirosama".

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gis4rcf9e95s4oe/kirosama+turmion.mid

Continuing from where I left off, but switching to alpha2...

map17: Maracaek - Bob's Space Peanut Packing Plant

I didn't like this one. Compared to your first map, this feels like you focused on silly gimmicks over a working layout. I don't even mind the gimmicks themselves if they are set within an interesting or properly thought out scenario, but these are just there to marvel at. I'm actually okay with the BFG structure (was that your biggest timesink here? heh), but the rest is lacklustre.

The winding gravel staircase, for example, is totally a single player construct. It looks cool, but navigating it while under fire, or perhaps backpedalling? Hardly. And it creates a rather weird obstacle/cover... I'd rather see something accessible even from the sides (even if it meant steep "sidesteps"). On the other hand the staircase in the BFG room is highly DM-compliant.

The BOB room seems purposeless, as does the crusher (which just creates annoying noise around the center of the map). I could live with that, although you could easily just stick the plasma into the BOB room... because the plasma "closet" is camper bait. It even has a spawn! I can imagine peruan trolls camping behind the drop wall, killing whoever spawns there, heh. Here's an idea - put a RL there instead and make the dropwall be down by default. The switch on top actually raises the wall (instantly?), so a cheeky player can TRAP a guy inside, possibly with RL going off, heh heh.

The chaingun spawn at the top of the staircase is kinda mehh... if you go along with moving plasma to BOB, you could easily swap the outside RL and the chaingun... otherwise there will be no reason at all, ever, to use that door and climb up those stairs, heh.

Also the western SSG alcove is a bad idea. I can only imagine someone with a RL standing in front of it, spamming inside, heh. :/ DM spawns don't need this sort of structural protection that actually entraps you, you'd be safer being outside, having the option to gtfo. Remove the enclosing "cover" wall?

I'd also definitely remove spawn t. 53, there are too many in the crusher room. Also why the crusher if it's just decorational? Change it so that it's accessible, but there's much more "downtime" (the crusher is down)... and there's a teleporter switch down there or something that brings you... on top of the BFG, maybe? Suddenly you have more "centers" of action and less predictable movement. :) Also remove the BFG spawn and one more in the BFG room if you add the second route to obtain it. Mmm, I can't promise miracles, but it could clean up into a fun FFA map.

map18: RottKing - Caco-Cola Factory

I like the layout (I usually do like Rott layouts, so duhh), it reminds me of some of the techy spacier crudream maps. And look here, a second map with a cyb gimmick! Is DM reinventing what was lost sometimes in 1995?

Anyways, I feel like the RL isn't really a true dragon hoard, it could easily be BFG. That'd take removing the cell pack(s?), but it'd also make the plasma pit more attractive. Right now I feel like the layout doesn't motivate players much to get it, I'd rather go around with the SSG or RL, which could be... I dunno, somewhere southeast?

Yet again, I think there might be a few too many spawns. Thing 47 is in far too sweet spot to remove, so t. 42, possibly t.35, t. 33. You know, so it's less "spawns everywhere".

map19: Xaser - LET THE BURGERS HIT THE FLOOR

It's a Xaser map, so of course it looks great and has spiral structures everywhere. And burgers, haha. Despite the silly theme, the layout seems more contained and controlled than some of Xaser's previous 32in24 outings. In effect, it should be less weirdo and more traditional FFA. Then again, the verticality pretty much begs for NS (mouselook, jumping), which is fine by me.

Also commendable: just about the right amount of spawns, the weapon balance seems pretty solid at first glance. The map is okay for SG/CG spawns and the super-weapons aren't overpowered with this type of open grounds. I'd probably make the lowest DM spawn get SSG instead of CG, however, it'd draw more action towards that part (to balance out the lava SSG ring). Oh and remove the cell charges around the plasma gun, they're too generous (plasma = 200 cells on NM deathmatch!) ... the cells at the bottom should be the incentive to travel there. Those are small nags, however... it's a well done map.

Now, there's one thing wrong about it and it kinda pisses me off. It has pretty terrible impassible lines, heh. I can understand why I'm not allowed to jump up this little wall, however it's a really pathetic height at this step, so at least a symbolic fence would be welcomed along at least some parts of the cliff. Now this already crossed the line. You can jump over at the right side of the pole, but it's impassible on the left, even though it's a lowly little step! If it doesn't hurt anything, let people climb there if they want, heh. Same goes with this side, also blocked. Letting people jump here would probably not be wise, so maybe a little midtex fence as well?

Aaand a real bug. Probably a faulty node? In ZDaemon it even creates a nasty HOM from below.

Springy said:

They're only required for vanilla maps because vanilla Doom doesn't have frag limits, so people would think of a frag limit and when the limit was reached, they would have to go and exit the level.

But without exits, where do you put the chainsaw?

Update for MAP03.
- Removed some deathmatch starts
- Added ammunition
- More detail (lightning, more texturing, etc.)
- Added monsters
- The rocket pit is higher then it first was
- Added green armors
- Shotgun moved to the exit along with the berserk pack and the chainsaw
- The crate has a soulsphere instead
- Shortened some linedefs
https://www.mediafire.com/?3l66x03g73bd546

I would like my sky to turn into the yellow E4 sky instead, I don't know what texture pack you're using, so I can't change it to the sky you're using there because I don't know how it's called.

joe-ilya said:

I would like my sky to turn into the yellow E4 sky instead, I don't know what texture pack you're using, so I can't change it to the sky you're using there because I don't know how it's called.

Isn't it in the OP?

Anyway, pretty sure it's just "SKY4".

I made some quick updates to my maps before the almighty dew gets a chance to tear through them :)

Marmalade Murder Mansion
- Made some minor item changes
- Added a BFG via a raising platform bridge mechanic (will probably need tweaking)
- The Soulsphere pedestal will lower like a lift when a player walks over it
- Did some layout tweaking in areas that felt a bit poor to me, in particular the old north-east walkway/stairway is a lot different
- Added music

Tater Tot Tempest
- Widened that really cramped semi-circular staircase
- Added some lifts where there used to be really steep stairs
- Removed the stairs in front of the Plasma since it made it too easy to grab
- Added music

UAC BBQ Processing
- Made the BFG harder to get
- Swapped the Plasma with a RL
- Grabbing the Plasma at its new location requires a bit more fancy jumping now
- Made a few extra item tweaks
- Made some layout tweaks
- Added music

Mekworx Blue Plate Special
- Widened a few areas so movement is easier
- Put a perpetual lift under the BA/Rocket Boxes, which doubles as a lift to the high ledge
- Made a few item tweaks
- Added music

I'll see if I can detail these soon, although if I don't get the time then they should atleast be playable and not a visual mess. Also these should have more friendly nodes this time. I have my Boom config setup for Vela Pax mapping, so I never bother to change my nodebuilder back when doing side mapping. Sorry TGH :P

THIS SURE IS A BURGERIOUS UPDATE TO A BURGER MAP

http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/xa-burgr.wad
Name: LET THE BURGERS HIT THE FLOOR
Music: Drowning Pool - Bodies

THE REST OF THE INFORMATION IS THE SAME AND THE ALLCAPS IS NOW CANON

I think I fixed up most of what Dew mentioned -- thanks for the feedback there! That and it's fully detailed and it has a fixed midi and a new titlepatch for TGH to use (for maximum ALLCAPS) and the map has a drink to wash down those floor burgers with. It is a good day to give a thanks.

Maximum props to Shai for ALLCAPS. His usage thereof has now become FACTUALLY CORRECT.

The third alpha is now available:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6650582/32in24-13/32in24-13_alpha3.zip

And the usual changelog:

• "Chips & Turkey Frenzy", "Kentucky Fried Cacodemon", "Chocolate Factory", "BTW This is Definitely Tomato Sausage", "Caco-Cola Factory", "LET THE BURGERS HIT THE FLOOR" (yes, all caps this time), "Marmalade Murder Mansion", "Tater Tot Tempest", "UAC BBQ Processing", and "Mekworx Blue Plate Special" have been updated by their authors.
  • Replaced the MUS copy of "Chips & Turkey Frenzy"'s BGM in the previous version with the original MIDI version of the track: "Gale Seeker" by Shisui Nagatsuki, a.k.a. the Sagamihara Armored Maid Orchestra (Japanese). (Thanks to Memfis for finding it!)

I'm not sure if I should be editing my map or not. OP says not to, everyone's doing so anyway. :V

I did move the exit out of the Soulsphere secret (and even used its new placement to highlight said secret), made the plasma/backpack columns blend in less with the wall they're attached to (TANROCK# instead of STUCCO; I think it's TANROCK7, but I forget) and added my usual signature (can't believe I forgot that). Also have an idea for that area with the BFG, although I'd rather get some feedback on the map overall before I start making more drastic changes than I already have. (Not gonna publish any changes yet, as such.)

You're allowed to add changes I do believe. I think the 24 hours are just for a playable layout and the rest are to add detail/alter thing placement and eradicate bugs but you cannot add extra areas of layout.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m4m1x6w6di2my9d/

Version C of Ruptured Raspberries:

- Changed the linedefs of the blocks that held the torches, they were misaligned slightly.
- Did some extra alignments to rocks in outlying scenery.
- Added some extra things on top of the red pillars and the outlying scenery (trees, floating skull rocks, etc.)
- Changed MIDI to something that should be more frag-friendly: "Killswitch Engage - Breathe Life"

EDIT: - Also moved the exit to the other side of one pillar, forgot to mention this. No idea if it will really be of that much effect though.

map20: Philnemba - Pink mashmallow globs

A typical dwango arena with an epic gore fountain, heh. Being what it is, it should actually be fine this way, no large tuning is needed - except for removing the large cell packs in the mid area and all of the cell charges at both plasma guns (because of easy BFG ammo restocking).

map21: Tib - As the Chocolate Falls

Solid layout. Interconnected, kinda chaotic, but fluid. It seems it has a decent weapon balance, but let's judge that after real testing. The BFG secret is pretty interesting... but seeing as there's BFG and plasma, you should remove all other cell ammo from them map, except maybe a bonus cell charge or two. Definitely no cell packs!

Another problem I kinda ran into (literally) were all those pesky useless item pickups. Chaingun is a weapon choice that's just... tolerated if it comes to that, putting bullets and bullet boxes everywhere will not make me like it more. :) I'd say same goes for the bonus armor pickups, but that's trivial and perhaps even useful. Last thing: the spawns. It's okay to put them on the ledges, many maps do that, but your ledges are HUGE and it's easy to take a step back and camp behind the spawn. Or just hide forever behind some corner where they don't see you from the main map. You should probably limit the playable space on those ledges.

map22: Philnemba - Fisting and Chainsawing the Meatlocker

Aaaand we have this year's American Gladiator. I think -9 had a silly melee-only map as well, which should tell you how original the joke is. :p

map23: Walter Confalonieri - Chicken Bites Arena 9k

This is a very spacious map. People will see each other from far away... I'd probably add a few more chainguns as the possible weapons of choice, because sniping across the long corridors makes more sense that way. Running towards each other with SSGs wouldn't be fun for long. You are quite safe to place one more spawn/weapon and fill the map slightly better, but otherwise it's okay, what with the low-key arsenal and long range fighting.

-6 also had one.
It also had an invuln sphere.

And just a heads up, there is at least one more crazy melee map in this set :X

And here's the fourth alpha of 32in24-13:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6650582/32in24-13/32in24-13_alpha4.zip

The changelog:

• "Chips & Turkey Frenzy", "This Turkey Needs More Cocaine, Nigella", and "Ruptured Raspberries" have been updated by their authors.
  • Fixed a Hall of Mirrors effect in "Pie in the Sky Diner" that would occur if you blocked part of the elevator with your body as it rose. (Thanks to nub_hat for finding this!)

some thoughts from running around the maps in alpha 3

03 chips and turkey frenzy
you could replace the invis with something else here I think it's a nice map without invis

06 this turkey needs more cocaine nigella
this bridge is still messed up, either replace it or embrace it by putting some line textures on it as it could be an interesting gimmick but that hom fest has to go

11 tongue deep in stromboli
i dont like the stairs next to the teleporter in the south section when im down here i feel really restricted with my only options to move around being taking the tele or walking back out through a hallway
you could add the extra step you need to get back over to the middle from there to give players more options

18 cacocola factory
i keep running into these stairs here http://i.imgur.com/4ajV9VT.png from the side and getting blocked, would prefer a straight staircase up so i didnt have to do a 90 degree turn to run up there

22 fisting and chainsawing the meat locker
if you want a real comedy map you could put one gun (any gun) on one of the spawns

24 marbled blue cheese
this north water section where you have to run all the way past these big marble rocks if you fall down is annoying maybe put a staircase in both ends here

27 a good ol country dinner
these guns are really spread out, people are gonna run around with their pistols getting pissed off but for sure theres room for this kinda map as well it's the only gun hunt in the wad

28 its definitely edible just try it
for sure that super slow plasma lift is gonna create some tension but you could put the bfg there instead for some next level gameplay, doing this you can take away some of the plasma ammo around the place

33 pie flesh consumed
these hurt floor pits are annoying and you dont have that many options to get out of them, could add some more stairs or teles to get out of them

34 tap water and mayo sandwiches
i prefer the earlier version with colours in it but it still looks ok

35 home invasion on thanksgiving
its gonna take forever to frag people with all the kits everywhere but you could turn it into a test of reactions+aim by putting ssgs on the spawns putting shoot.wad out of business

36 fast food on thanksgiving
interesting map for sure its very much gonna be a big rush to all the powerups in mid to get the advantage early on
you could consider placing sgs or cgs down in the long hallways as it could be very useful guns there and it never hurts to give players more options to choose from
you could revert to the texturing from the earlier version i thought it looked a bit better

37 gravy bitch
this lower section is really bad cause you cant get out of there i think there should be a way back up so you can move around the map, its a dick move as it is currently especially with 5 spawns down there

45 black friday
if you replace the bfg with a ssg this could be fun really

46 pepper your angus
the burger in mid looks gross and the crusher on the plasma is really harsh, could stuff a bfg on there instead of the plasma

dew said:

map23: Walter Confalonieri - Chicken Bites Arena 9k[/b]

This is a very spacious map. People will see each other from far away... I'd probably add a few more chainguns as the possible weapons of choice, because sniping across the long corridors makes more sense that way. Running towards each other with SSGs wouldn't be fun for long. You are quite safe to place one more spawn/weapon and fill the map slightly better, but otherwise it's okay, what with the low-key arsenal and long range fighting.

Thanks for the feedback,i'll see to working on this...

nub_hat said:

27 a good ol country dinner
these guns are really spread out, people are gonna run around with their pistols getting pissed off but for sure theres room for this kinda map as well it's the only gun hunt in the wad

Hadn't really considered this. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I mean, most of the weapons seem concentrated in or around the house, but the plasma gun, rocket launcher and SSG require a bit of a detour to grab. (BFG might even be a bit too easy to nab, once you know how to reach it.) I suppose I could replace the current normal shotgun spawn with a Berserk (I haven't managed to squeeze one of those in anywhere) and put a shotgun on top of every spawn so people have something better than a pistol, but I don't know if that's a really good idea either. (I don't DM map much, I suppose you may have guessed.)