Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

Forum Game: Countdown to DOOM's Twentieth Birthday

Why don't we do a "countdown" game for DOOM's birthday?

The way this game works is we countdown the days till the birthday. I shoulda started at 32 or 27, but oh well. When we hit a number, we use that number to describe something pertaining to DOOM or DOOM II.

Example: 32 days until DOOM's birthday one would post - number of levels in DOOM II.

Feel free to post anything from 32 to whatever day # we are on till DOOM's 20th Birthday!! No going ahead though!!!

10 - Damage taken from a normal slime pit. Ouch!

I was just thinking that after I noticed 5 / 10 years of doom links on the main page.

it just occurred to me that it's a little heartbreaking that I didn't complete any wads that are really very noteworthy before doomworld's 10th cacowards.

-ninja edit-

Captain Red said:

What Creative ways are there to say "Fuck yeah! Doom is AWESOME!"?

Carve "DOOM" into your forearm with a razor.

8 - number of weapons in DOOM.

I'm counting fist/berserk fist as the same thing and chainsaw as another weapon.

Technician said:

Carve "DOOM" into your forearm with a razor.

I think taking steroids and punching it in your forearm is better since the chainsaw would be too big? Hey, that's what the berserk pack must be :p

You do what that guy in Doom 3 did, cut your tongue in two halves with a scalpel and then carve Doom into your forearm with said scalpel.

Seven "normal" levels per episode.
Seven weapon slots.
Seven things you can shoot in shareware Doom (zombie, sergeant, imp, demon, spectre, baron of Hell, barrel).

Gez said:

shoot in shareware Doom (zombie, sergeant, imp, demon, spectre, baron of Hell, barrel).

Well eight if include the chainsaw secret in E1M2.

6: The number of levels John Romero created for Doom II.

@glenzinho: According to the Doom Wiki, the only ones that count as IWADs are 4-5, depending whether you count Registered Doom and Ultimate Doom as 1 or 2, and 5-6 if you consider also Shareware Doom and the French version (I assume we are not considering Hexen, Strife, etc.).

Yeah, I was counting the shareware and registered as separate iwads, because they are! Hmm, looking at the wiki I see it's a bit more complicated than that...

How about 6, the number of rockets it used to take me to kill a Baron before I learnt to do it in five.

6: The amount of items needed to get 100% items in E3M1: Hell Keep. (4 armor bonuses, 2 health bonuses)

6 levels before the first text screen in Doom II.
6 stand-alone games that spun off from the Doom engine (Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest, Hacx, Doom 64)
6 volumes for the official Doom novels
6 levels from Plutonia retained in the PSX port
6 secret Doom levels designed by Id software (i.e.: not counting Final Doom, Master Levels, or the console ports)

On average:
6 bullets to kill an Imp,
6 shotgun shots to kill a Cacodemon,
6 SSG shots to kill a Baron,
6 plasma rifle shots to kill a Demon.

I think we're in 5 now?

5 enemies you can gib (zombieman, sergeant, chaingunner, imp, wolfenstein SS).

Zed said:

I think we're in 5 now?

5 enemies you can gib (zombieman, sergeant, chaingunner, imp, wolfenstein SS).

We really should be at 6. 5 days from now is December 9th, but Doom launched on December 10th.

OK, then I think we could say:

6 characters which can be gibbed (doomguy, zombieman, sergeant, chaingunner, imp, wolfenstein SS).

But if you count today, then it's 7. Also it kinda looks like people didn't count 9 at all.

So, here's a late 9.. there's 9 levels in one episode in Doom.

Shadow Hog said:

5 days from now is December 9th, but Doom launched on December 10th.

Perhaps they're secretly counting down to the 16th anniversary of Quake II.
One of the few "old games" that's younger than me >_>

6: There are six ways to die in Doom. Enemy fire, nukage (or lava), crushers, suicide rockets, telefragging, and shooting your own voodoo doll.