Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

wads with interesting/different textures?

Tried out a wad today that will go unnamed, the music was excellent but playing it really put me off because it used the same old boring textures throughout most of the levels - literally three or four different types of texture only. Are there any wads (preferably megawads) which are notable for having completely new textures, or at least significantly different from iwad ones?

I'm also very tired of standard textures, so I am quite drawn to maps with custom ones. The first thing that springs to mind is Back to Saturn X, which is very well-known now but has probably some of the most professionally made textures out there. It's very much dominated by techbase themes, but I think they are approached in a very different way to the IWADs.

It's not a megawad, but UAC Ultra is also very impressive and makes impressive use of a dark, gritty custom texture set.

In my opinion, CC3 also has some interesting custom textures (e.g., MAP12: Black Rain). Also, Eternal Doom. Or Doom II Reloaded.

I'm new at making textures, but for my current wad, I'm trying to make my additions look like they could have been part of the stock art from the original games. Particularly the marble textures; I've given them a similar green tint with GIMP.

Icarus and Daedalus use custom textures. Exclusively, in the case of Daedalus.

Ogro Power Facility (one of the few maps that require to be played in Eternity if you want everything to work fine) uses the Ogro texture pack (originally made for Quake if I'm not mistaken).

You'll also see some originally-for-Quake textures used in other mods, like The Ultimate Torment & Torture for example.

Take a look at Dark7 and its mission pack.

Also, new textures and new everything else await in many partial-to-total conversions; but some change the gameplay quite a bit (especially in the ZDoom ones). Take a look at Aliens TC, Batman Doom, Chex Quest, Harmony, Hacx 1.2, both Action Doom titles, etc. Tons of new textures. If you're not afraid of weirdness, try The Sky May Be or Mayhem Mansion.

esselfortium said:

Epic 2 uses a lot of custom textures.

Many of which come from Exhumed/Powerslave. (Which, personally, I never played, so I recognized them from Chosen instead.)

Gez said:

Many of which come from Exhumed/Powerslave. (Which, personally, I never played, so I recognized them from Chosen instead.)

Well, I didn't say they were original :P

I was blown away by how pretty Deus Vult 2 looked. Very hard map set though (first few levels are still all right). CC4 is quite pretty as well, and more playable.