Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-13: A THANKSGIVING WITH NO BURGERS

dew said:

map27: Shadow Hog - A Good Ol Country Dinner

The map looks really nice and generally the layout is okay, but there are small problems that bring it down.

First of all, that SSG in the cave is basically impossible to get, because those are 24unit steps over some distance. You need to make them... 16 or something like that.

Lowered to 16 units per step.

dew said:

Second big thing: I really like the windows, but they're only good with jumping. Make them climbable to let people jump out at will! It's going to be much cooler instantly.

Lowered from 32 units to 24, so you can now walk right through them. Good idea; not sure why I avoided it.

dew said:

Now some weapon placement nags: pistol starts are not that cool. And what, um, southern gentleman isn't born with a shotgun? Put them under all spawns, heh.

Do believe this is now done.

dew said:

That meal on the dinner table could be a SSG! Also swap the RL with the plasma gun - I feel like the PG would make more sense in the cage (spray spam) and in the current version it's just additional ammo right after grabbing the BFG.

Shuffled these around; the RL is where the SSG was, the PG is where the RL was, the SSG is on the dinner plate, and a Berserk pack is where the PG used to be.

I actually had meant for the PG to be reachable only from the window on the eastern bedroom... not sure if I should bother changing anything that's letting you grab it from that upper region on the west, though.

dew said:

Speaking of which: remove all of those terrible cell packs, heh. Also remove all the cell charges, the only place I'd put any would be the caves.

This one I'm not so sure about - so there shouldn't be any cell charges anywhere but the weapon pickups and the cave? Not even in the stable/cage thing, where the plasma gun's been relocated to?

I mean, I'll do it, but I'm not sure that there shouldn't be any cells around other than those three spots. (Plasma packs, though, I agree should go; 100 cells in one spot is too much.)

dew said:

I'd also make the BFG platform corrosive (some sort of minimum damage lava hill?) so no one can hang out there & camp.

Done; BFG is now in a pit of slime. Also cordoned it off from the rest of that upper area; the only way out is now through the wall the gun's up against, which is now a one-way door. Added a spawn up there, and some lifts on both ends that let you go up there with relative ease.

dew said:

Spawns: too many. I'd completely remove two from the house (say, t. 72 and 75), two from the outside (probably 63 and 101) and move one to the caves (163). You can switch it up as you see fit, but this would spread them out better without moving anything else.

Deleted those first four, but I like 163 where it is, so I moved 76 into the caves instead (and added another in a roughly symmetrical position to where I moved 76 to). Definitely spread out better.

dew said:

Possible final change: move the BA switch closer to the windows (on the eastern house wall), so one can immediatelly jump out and rush for it - the way it is you just call the lift down for someone else to steal your prize.

Sort of done. I actually moved the shield to the north side of the building, so you still hop out the same window I'd intended you to (I thought putting the switch on the east side of the building devalued the green armor too much), and tightened the timing further so you still have to rush to grab it (while at the same time making a second party swooping in less likely).

Other than that, I moved the exit out of the soulsphere secret, moved the chainsaw from the northeast room in the house to the exit's new location (sounded like chainsaws in the exit was a tradition I didn't see fit to break), etc.

So, without further ado: Version 2, with dew's suggestions implemented.

Updated the music, too, so it doesn't have an obscenely long pause between loops.

Shadow Hog said:

I mean, I'll do it, but I'm not sure that there shouldn't be any cells around other than those three spots. (Plasma packs, though, I agree should go; 100 cells in one spot is too much.)

Yeah, cells are very overpowered in DM. The default difficulty to play DM on is Nightmare, which doubles all ammo pickups. Furthermore in deathmatch you get premium weapon pickups - much more ammo than in single player. In combined effect you get 200 cells for the BFG, 200 more cells for the plasma, 200(!!) cells for cellpacks and 40 for charges and backpacks. Spam ahoy! :)

Thanks for all the feedback dew :). I'll be making most, if not all, of those changes as I do the remainder of my detailing.

*edit*

Just a thought concerning the next 32in24. It might be worth noting to the mappers that DM is played in Nightmare difficultly since I'm guessing some of us weren't aware of that (I wasn't :P).

Updates for Black Friday and Guacamole
http://www.speedyshare.com/ZVMjc/bfr.wad

Updates:
Arena is off a 64 unit ledge now, so you cant run in alcove and bfg spam. :X Black Friday is about punching the crap out of eachother, not hiding in corners with your treasures!

Guacamole
http://www.speedyshare.com/5dHb8/guaca02.wad

Updates:
Slight cosmetics
Guacamole falls are now able to be shot through...still impassable, though.
I will likely change weapons up after this round of playtesting.

Here is the sixth alpha of 32in24-13!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6650582/32in24-13/32in24-13_alpha6.zip

Changelog:

• "I Ate at McDonald's and This Happened", "Chips & Turkey", "Kentucky Fried Cacodemon", "This Turkey Needs More Cocaine, Nigella", "Discount Slaughterhouse", "The Guacamole Shuffle!", "Caco-Cola Factory", "A Good Ol' Country Dinner", "Brick Sandwich", "Steak and Kidney Stones", "Eat Your Tekgreens", "Pie Flesh Consumed", "Tap Water and Mayo Sandwiches", "Marmalade Murder Mansion", and "Black Friday!" have been updated by their authors.

I think the old red version of "I Ate at McDonalds and This Happened" looks a lot better than the new one, this is purely visual and very minor though.

I don't like these new changes to Chips & Turkey Frenzy from alpha 4 onwards, the old version with the BFG on top of the lift was really good and worked well, but the BFG section in this new version is a mess.
I don't like these new windows you added in the alpha 6 version, I would rather see the solid walls back in.
Please go back to the old bfg lift, it was very good as it was.
There seems to be way too many green armors around the place, you could remove some of them. I think having 2 green armors in the map would be a good amount.
This switch to lower the soulsphere is still cool, keep that in for sure.
I like this new trick jump you put in but I would still like to see the invis replaced with something else, I think a second soulsphere here would be a good idea

It is Chips and Turkey frenzy supposed to look messed up, or still WIP? Not a complain, it looks interesting

Some thoughts about alpha6...
EDIT: Okay, it turned into a status check.

- If dopey doesn't mind, here is the edit for map02 (Curry Night) I did myself. It's a bunch of very simple changes that should make the map more fun.

- I agree with nub_hat re: Chips&Turkey (I wholly disagree about map01, heh). map03 looks super-busy right now and the invis is weird. Revert a little?

- map10 (Cacowad's Tomato Sausage): sector 106 should be much, much higher so you can't jump there without a rocketjump. It should also be corrosive, so no one can camp there. The megasphere should be just a blue armor, so it's impossible to survive there for 30 seconds till item respawn. It should be a bonus area, but this way it becomes the main target of interest.

- map11 (Stromboli) and map17 (Bob) and map37 (Gravy Bitch) are not edited, I think Marcaek has issues with his computer. Wait for him or delegate changes to someone else? I can't, because I'm a considerably incompetent mapper and the latter needs a few larger edits. Marcaek is on it.

- maps 12 and 15 are untouched in their weird spawn and weapon predicament. I dunno if 40oz missed the feedback or decided not to play ball, but it's really not good in the current state.

- map16 (Tragic Burger King) is not edited, because Tango is probably gone to explore new galaxies again. My feedback suggested just swapping a few items, so nothing bad happens if it stays, but it should take like 30 secs... *looks at TGH* :)

- map18 (Caco-cola): Add a walkover line for the plasma lift? It'd remove having to deal with the lift if you're just darting in and out.

- map20 is unedited (Philnemba's not present?) - needs some austerity cell ammo budget trimming.

- map23 (Chicken Bites) is pending edits, walter said he'd do them... probably needs poking, hehe.

- map25 (Aftermath of Taco Bell) is unedited and would seriously benefit from weapons handed at spawns.

- map28 (Definitely Edible) is unedited, it's a few easy edits. Tib??

- map29 (Brick Sandwich): This switch tiles badly.

- map30 (Breakfast): essel is lazy and didn't do/link his edits yet.

- map34 (Tap Water & Mayo Sandwiches): I think Naut was talking about one more edit, but I don't think it was linked yet? Just a memo not to forget.

- map35 (Home Invasion 2): The tutti-frutti switches aren't fixed yet.

- maps 39-42: Mechadon block, gotta wait for the changes a little bit more.

- map43 (Pie in the Sky): *prods Kassman* I know, I know, I only wrote that feedback yesterday, sorry. :)

- map46 (UAC Food Nightmare): This map has a technical issue with slime trails.

- map47 (Mashpotatos): Gotta prod Tarns into action.

One more update. Mostly marking linedefs as hidden or secret and realigning textures; no layout changes whatsoever. But, y'know, whatever.

Link

Had to tweak the MIDI again; turns out Zandronum doesn't recognize the tempo change at the start of the file, but rather the one at the very end, whereas PrBoom+ and GZDoom seemed to use the one at the start of the file as intended. Fixed that up so it should be consistent across all of 'em.

MIDI, yet again

Fixed version:https://www.mediafire.com/?w871z2yw29wimc9

- Added lots of "realistic" detailing in the fast food section on the west section

- Put more detailing in the outdoor canyon in the same section

- Put few more detailing in the room before the exit

- Put more chainguns as dew suggested, following this new gameplay choice added more ammo and items in the map

Midi is "Thorn Within" by Metallica, if you want to knew it...

Anyway, if you want to fix some stuff i missed, you're welcome to work on this level...

I'm working on detailing Tater Tot Tempest right now, and I'm hoping I can finish the other two maps tomorrow. I'm probably getting my dates/time all mixed up, but one week will be on Sunday, right?

AFAIK there's still time for changes, yes. We're just rushing because of the impending Nitro test session.

@Rottking: Ah ah ah, as first i think to post some miku image instead of the level, but now i've read it better and... i don't know, maybe next time!

@40oz: What's the deal with the triangles of player spawns? It looks like you tried to avoid spawn telefragging with high playercounts but all this will really do is allow for more spawnkills when people are desperately trying to get a weapon.

The seventh alpha of 32in24-13 has been released! This is the one which will be used in Odamex Nitro in a few minutes. Get ready!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6650582/32in24-13/32in24-13_alpha7.zip

Changelog:

• "BTW This is Definitely Tomato Sausage", "Tongue Deep in Stromboli", "Apocalypse Aftermath...", "Bob's Space Peanut Packing Plant", "As the Chocolate Falls", "Chicken Bites Arena 9k", "A Good Ol' Country Dinner", "It's Definitely Edible, Just Try It!", "Brick Sandwich", "Tap Water and Mayo Sandwiches", "Home Invasion on Thanksgiving", "Welcome to Pizza Void", and "Kumquat Control" have been updated by their authors.
  • "Curry Night" has been edited by dew for gameplay reasons.
  • "The Tragic Burger King" has been edited by yours truly to move the Rocket Launcher, Green Armor, and two cell charges as per dew's advice.
  • "Bloody Tomato Soup Special" has been edited by yours truly to remove multiple cell charges from the level to prevent easy BFG refills, as per dew's advice.
  • "The Aftermath of Taco Bell" has been edited by yours truly to remove spawns and change weapon placement as per dew's advice.
  • "Pepper Your Angus" has been edited by yours truly to remove redundant multiplayer-only weapons and fix evident slime trails.

I would like to take a bow before all the mappers who so eagerly listened to my whinings and edited their maps so willingly. I'm very grateful for your open minds and patience, I wish you a very positive reception. Despite my own scheduling constraints (and slowness), this was one of the most "professional" sessions so far.