Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Damaging water floors?

Apart from the damaging water floors in UD's map Pandemonium due to the idea of it being irradiated, I'm not so sure I have ever come across any custom wads with it implemented.

Actually, when damaging sector effects are used on water sectors, it's hardcoded to disable the damaging effect. That's why you never see them in wads.

TimeOfDeath said:

Actually, when damaging sector effects are used on water sectors, it's hardcoded to disable the damaging effect. That's why you never see them in wads.

I just took a 300 lines map I was toying with, set a sector to have -2/-5% damage and a floor flat of FWATER1. It still did damage to me in PrBoom+ (complevel 2, if that matters). Tried booting up Chocolate Doom, but it's complaining about lump numbers. Still, even if it worked in vanilla Doom, surely you'd notice it in Boom or other source ports as such.

Ralphis said:

Probably

Ah, Ralphis! Check your PM's please, I had a question about your ice skating rink/stadium map.

TimeOfDeath said:

[citation needed]

TimeOfDeath said:

Nope.I just tested with vanilla(with -2/-5% damage),and i got damaged.

TimeOfDeath said:

Oh you.

Shadow Hog said:

I just took a 300 lines map I was toying with, set a sector to have -2/-5% damage and a floor flat of FWATER1. It still did damage to me in PrBoom+ (complevel 2, if that matters). Tried booting up Chocolate Doom, but it's complaining about lump numbers. Still, even if it worked in vanilla Doom, surely you'd notice it in Boom or other source ports as such.

lol owned

TimeOfDeath said:

Only in 1.666 and below, tho. 1.2 also had hardcoded damage from nukage and lava as well, IIRC.

When I made Sinister Intention I swore that the blue of the FWATER flats looked less like water than it did some kind of coolant fluid that would be dangerous to the touch. Which is how I used it in MAP02; though there's not a huge amount of it.

Obsidian said:

I recall MAP06 of Going Down by mouldy had damaging water.

The idea behind that was since that map is a giant computer, those rooms with water in are for cooling the processors or something, so the damage is coming from the heat of the rooms rather than the water itself.

I don't mind so much people using damaging water (it don't look like normal water to me anyway) as long as they are consistant with it.

Water in hell maps should probably always hurt the player. Water in hell? That could only possibly be there in order to tempt the damned, who are parched with eternal thirst. Then it burns them like fire.

Thanks for the idea im going to make a wad with damaging water floors.XD
On a more serious note I don't remember any harmful pools of water but their has to be a WAD out there with damaging water, to think about it I dont think Plutonia had any damaging floors at all.