Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

grid-size

Does anyone here know a doom2-map-editor which will allow me put the grid-size on 1. (Deu and Ide only go as far down as 8; DCK goes as far as 2. I want 1!)
I`d be very grateful if someone would tell me what editor I could use :D

You can do that in Wad Author, well using free move anyways, the grid still only goes down to 2. But using this make your lindefs/vertices move 1 grid space at a time anyhow...

XWE allows a grid size of 1 unit. It also allows you to zoom in very close, which is great when you're working with a 1-unit grid.

ReX said:

XWE allows a grid size of 1 unit. It also allows you to zoom in very close, which is great when you're working with a 1-unit grid.

ReX, is there a newer XWE than 1.09? I have 1.09, cannot see at all how this can be used for map editing. I cannot select and move any lines or vertices. ???

OK let's think about this.

In any editor, whats the point of a grid smaller than 2? To get a grid of 1, just turn the grid off, since you can't have any unit less than 1.

ZarcyB said:

OK let's think about this.

In any editor, whats the point of a grid smaller than 2? To get a grid of 1, just turn the grid off, since you can't have any unit less than 1.

Well. You can have _two_ proper sectors within a space of 1x1 :)

ZarcyB said:

whats the point of a grid smaller than 2?

Sometimes this is useful. The grid reflects the translation from DOOM integral units to screen integral coordinates. Similar in some ways to "snap-to-grid", when you move a line, vertex, thing, it moves in these translated "chunks".

What it does for some designers is to let them zoom in and predict where the vertex or line is going to end up for fine detail work.

The other thing it's useful for is showing object alignment with other objects.

There's also a use for non-powers of 2 grid (like 3,5,7,etc). That's useful is one is translating from a map drawn in one scale to the DOOM scale. DeePsea command= Shift+Ctrl+G (it's not used much, hence the 3 keys) for the engineering/architects out there.

All personal taste stuff.

I usually use size 64 for global editing and 32-8 for detail. I only find the 1 size grid useful when dealing with curves or rotated objects. For all normal (rectangular) kinds of geometry, 8 is a definite minimum for where I go.

One could say this applies to height levels too. I use multiples of 64 for very large scale architecture and floor->height median, and multiples of 8 for the fine structures.

Csabo

I'd been meaning to give you a shout just the other day to find out if things had been moving along XWE wise. I figured you had been so quiet recently that things other than doom were commanding your attention.

What have you been implementing? Is there more support for other games or is it mainly the doom editing side you have been working on? Or is it a case of wait and see?

Enjay: it's doom level editing only. I did get a request for supporting a few new games, but I'm not planning on adding any more.

I know in WA you can make it 2x2, then right click and go to "set linedef length" and just put 1 there and it'll work.

And, in WA, you can click on a line or vertex to drag it, hold shift while dragging to disable snap-to-grid. Then, you can move things one unit at a time.

Fredrik said:

I usually use size 64 for global editing and 32-8 for detail. I only find the 1 size grid useful when dealing with curves or rotated objects. For all normal (rectangular) kinds of geometry, 8 is a definite minimum for where I go.

Wow, that's quite a surprise, considering the mad detail in most of your maps.

Archvile64 said:

Wow, that's quite a surprise, considering the mad detail in most of your maps.

Most of it is 16x16, you'll see if you look closely.

Csabo

Thanks for the reply. Oh well, I was looking forward to a few new game ripping possibilities. Still it's your project. I'm not the one slaving over the code to get it done. Sounds like you have made quite a bit of progress.

deth is king, I use the sub 8 grids once in a while, mostly when centering 8x8 style detail or making Re0L slopes though.

A 1*1 grid is especially useful when working with oddly-angled linedefs. It allows more precision in terms of positioning vertices, etc. Of course you can achieve the same objectives by turning "Snap to Grid" off.

Btw, have I mentioned how much I hate oddly-angled linedefs (triangles, circles, etc.) And yet, I curiously continue to use these kinds of geometric structures in my maps. My newest map is a prime example, and it's pissing the heck out of me. Perhaps it would be less painful if I simply beat myself over the head with a stick.

Fredrik said:

Yes, why not?

I was half asleep when I posted that. And I still don't see how. Maybe it's because I was drinking again last night and I am tired yet again. Or that I am just stupid.

The grid-size on my editor usually stays firmly at '8' - it jumps up to 16, 32, 64 and 128 when i'm adding size-exacting textures or trying to get that bloody teleport gate onto the 64 grid. Grrr.