Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Doom - first game that got rid of the game over

Had to edit the title - was too long.

I'm talking about action games here.

Modern shooters do not have any game over screen. You just respawn at the checkpoint. Doom was quite similar although not as easy - you respawn at the beginning of the level with pistol only. You can also make checkpoints manually via quicksaves.

It seems that at the time every other action game, be it FPS or side-scroller, had "lives" and game over screen. Probably that's because action games were born at arcades, and for the game manufacturers there was no point in an arcade game that you cannot lose. Is that one more thing where Doom has its influence on the modern action games?

Well, there's punishment enough in being sent back to the start of the map with only that Pistol and 50 bullets.

Fact is, with Save/Load options available at any time, there was (and is) no point in giving the player limited lives. The press-release version of Doom has some sort of extra lives nonsense implemented however, so id obviously figured out how redundant such a system is shortly before things wrapped up.

Doom still has that kickass "THE END" at the end though. Close enough imo.

And as for Modern Games not having game over screens, I'd say there are variations. The best I can think of is that CoD games always have some pointless quotes appear when you die, which to me sort of like a gameover, though then it does just throw you back into the last checkpoint soon after, even if the checkpoint was swarming with bullets and you die four seconds later.

At least its not like in goldeneye007 where when you die you restart the level and on top of that theirs the absence of a in game save system, uhgg.

Well, since Doom pretty much keeps you by the balls your entire life, the Game is Never Over -even in the afterlife, you can never be too sure....maybe we're all Doomed and we should ask our grandchildren to put a RL in our coffin, ya know, for some final cleanup ;-)

Doominator2 said:

At least its not like in goldeneye007 where when you die you restart the level and on top of that theirs the absence of a in game save system, uhgg.

Yeah, because Goldeneye's levels were so long and time-consuming.

:|

Doominator2 said:

You mean you have to get better instead of save scumming through everything? Unthinkable!

Once, I saved just as the bullets hit me. I got 0% health.
Since it was a sourceport, it auto-loaded my save so I died
again, and again and again.