Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Someone has made hi-res textures for eternal, scythe, aliens, other classics

Yeah, I looked at the screenshot for Aliens TC and vomited a bit in my mouth. These may be high 'resolution', but they are by no means high in definition. GZDoom and other ports can already blur the shit out of Doom's graphics. Job done. Next!

GZDoom:
Main Menu --> Options --> Display Options --> Texture Options --> High Quality Resize Mode: HQ4X

Well there we go, looks like the renderer already manages that for us, and all without a load of shit artifacting across every texture and sprite.

"Next!" indeed.

BaronOfStuff said:

GZDoom:
Main Menu --> Options --> Display Options --> Texture Options --> High Quality Resize Mode: HQ4X

Well there we go, looks like the renderer already manages that for us, and all without a load of shit artifacting across every texture and sprite.

"Next!" indeed.

and a high-end system can't even handle HQ4X.

I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't exactly have the best computer in the world, but like, here's HQ4x -- and the uncapped framerate still doesn't really dip below 35FPS.

Can't say I ever liked the way that screenshot looks. Prefer the pixels very much. Otherwise, those textures above were pretty much crap, yes.

Seriously, I always stick the chunky pixels back on (save for grabbing that screen there). By choice, not limitation.

I think the 'smoothing' actually obscures a lot of the definition in that pixel-level detail.

invictius said:

and a high-end system can't even handle HQ4X.

gzdoom doesn't work like an emulator. it doesn't need to perform the scaling algorithm 60 times a second but can do it only once for the sprites/textures, job done. no need for an high-end system.
at least for sprites I created 3xBR upscales for all the iwads a while back. it outperforms hqNx easily and keeps more details. if someone is interested, here is the thread:
3xBR-noblend Sprite Upscales [Update 09/21/13]

Jayextee said:

I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't exactly have the best computer in the world, but like, here's HQ4x -- and the uncapped framerate still doesn't really dip below 35FPS.

Any other setting that could be affecting my frame rate? Like anisotropic filtering? (I only have that on 2x)

I use to like using these filters, but after some gameplay and then removing the filters I find I enjoy the original look much better.

I agree pretty much with what Jayextee says you sort of lose the pixel definition.

Bring on good quality 3D models!.....and in my opinion much faster and easier to work with...and possibly performance better then using blur filters...WIN WIN :)