Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Getting to know you, part 3.

This one could also have belonged over at the Politics and Religion.

My Question is: What kind of religious and/or philosophical veiws of the world do you hold?

Come on my friends! Ramble on about your personal philosophies and beliefs. I know you get some kind of satisfaction from it.

Ok, my own pseudo-religious belief:

I am a proud and unyielding adversary of any kind of monotheism. I simply don't believe in the existence of any all-powerful force, whether sentient or not.

I also hold that everything (in a way) is true, but there is no ultimate truth. This implies that God does have some kind of existence, but not in the form that you usually believe. Just like a lie is a real thing, though it's message is false.

There is no greatest being. The thing we call a universe is just one among an infinity of universes that again unite to even greater entities and so on. Just as everything are made up of even smaller things.

The mass-energy (in reality energy in different forms) modus that many choose to call objective reality is just one modus of reality. Many other "realities exist" and they are interdependent on one another. So an event in the mass-energy reality can have an indirect effect on the human "ideal reality".

Nothing that is infinite exists. Everything is limited, both in space and time (and whatnot). Everything is born from something and everything will perish. Nothing is eternal.

There was no first creation and there will be no last apocalypse. Though many smaller "creations" and "apocalypses" are bound to have happened and happen again.

To sum it up: The world is a magical place of no center with no final borders, where nothing eternal or ultimate exists. I believe in an infinity of finities.

This view of the world engenders me to look at everything with reverence. Though you could say that this view of the world makes everything insignificant I would say the contrary. Everything is true. Everything has it's place. Everything has it's consequences. But there is no truth!

The universe is a set of fractalizing physical laws. Everything within it is a result thereof.

Fredrik said:

The universe is a set of fractalizing physical laws. Everything within it is a result thereof.

What is your definition of a physical law?

Technically I'm a Presbyterian and sometimes I go to church, but I don't know how much of it I believe concretely. Put it this way -- I believe that there is some higher power, whether it be a god or something else. It may even be the Christian God, who knows.

Fredrik said:

To be more precise: The universe is a set of fractalizing logic.

Damn guvner!

Oops, I just gave myself away as a Planescape freak there.

/me flashes his Bleak Cabal member badge.

I am a Christian. Don't ask me to defend myself, I won't.

I love to ponder the argument of purpose over coincidence as per existence, but not at this tme of night and not on the net. Sorry.

Neither purpose nor coincidence is true.

Purpose is wrong because no one created the universe "with an intention".

Coincidence is also wrong because things don't occur randomly.

Fredrik said:

I agree with that.

Heh... really I dunno, it would take me forever to get an understandable and thorough explanation organized (and I don't really feel like reiterating everything I've spouted off in Religion & Politics), plus I usually "upgrade" my views every now and then, but in a nutshell: I do think there was a creator, and it's hard for me to understand how so many people with knowledge of science or the world around them can not think that, but whatever. I don't "subscribe" to any particular religion, but from all that I've taken in during past years, the Christian Bible I find to be rather accurate and believable, even though I think a lot of pastor's and people's interpretations of it are whack (and sometimes personally motivated).

The bible is a concrete reality, and therefore it is true (though what is written in it should be handled with doubtful care).

I am not willing (at this point in time) to go into detail or defend any of my standpoints (probably since I have not perfected them yet) so I will not even write them.

As far as the creation/chance happening or religious/scientific approach to how we and the earth, universe, etc. came to be, I would have to say that anyone who says they knows is wrong. It would probably be better to acknowledge a God, Rig Veda, etc. as well as a Big Bang but take both as they are... a form of faith. Although the Big Bang is more conclusive it is still far from being factual in any way, shape or form. Anyone who will take a side seriously on this topic is a fool.

However I will also say this, science will always be a safer approach to any situation since it attacks problems objectively, not on a basis of faith. If there is a God then he might as well be dead as far as I'm concerned.

The King of Thieves,
Black

I have my own ideas about the nature of God and reality. I was raised Catholic, so many of my ideas are borrowed from fundamental Catholic doctrine (mainly the part about the Creator sending a part of himself down to bitchslap humanity and teach us to really give a shit about each other). I also have the idea that the Creator wrote the laws that govern our reality and is basically letting the locals have the run of the place. Beyond that, I can't realy say anything is particularly "right" or "wrong"; "good" and "evil" are very subjective. I'm also no afraid of speculating other possible ways the universe and divinity could work, even though I might not believe in those ideas.

What was that quote from the movie Dogma? "I don't believe in anything, but I've got some pretty good ideas."

Fredrik said:

It is impossible to prove either of those statements with our current knowledge (fredrik will try and claim he knows one better :P)

Mad_AX666 said:

Well, I belive in reincarnation, that there is no god and that the order of the universe is chaos.

Who wants to come back as a tin of milk?

Fredrik said:

To be more precise: The universe is a set of fractalizing logic.

There is an order to everthing in the universe, some of which is seen in fractals and chaos theory. An order which comes from God. Those who dispute this are too arrogant to accept their place in the universe. In my opinion of course.

I think I beleive in God, but I KNOW I don't believe in religeon. I've been reading the Koran lately. Some of it makes sense but most of it seems to be typical ancient male ignorance.

Rellik said:

I think I beleive in God, but I KNOW I don't believe in religeon. I've been reading the Koran lately. Some of it makes sense but most of it seems to be typical ancient male ignorance.

The Koran is the word of God Himself. You just have to look at the scientific facts contained, some of which were only revealed in the last century.

GS-1719 said:

There is an order to everthing in the universe, some of which is seen in fractals and chaos theory. An order which comes from God. Those who dispute this are too arrogant to accept their place in the universe. In my opinion of course.

It's in the nature of the human mind to believe that there has to be a creator or reason behind everything, so I forgive you.

Fredrik said:

It's in the nature of the human mind to believe that there has to be a creator or reason behind everything, so I forgive you.

Right you are Fred! Just because something is human it isn't automatically justified.

Join the inhumanists!

Fredrik said:

It's in the nature of the human mind to believe that there has to be a creator or reason behind everything.

Since when? That doesn't apply for over 90% of the people I know.