Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
terminus12

Google logo change

I was wondering this the other day, ya know how google will change their logo to something when it's a special day, like on holidays they do something or the birthday of like a famous or influential person (not always famous)? I'm curious to see if they'll do anything for the 20th anniversary of doom, I highly doubt it but it still, it is pretty much the most influential video game of the 90s and the most influential of the genre (you could argue wolf3d, but that's not fully relevant), which is now extremely popular.

I doubt they would change it, it feels like nowadays gamers are starting fps history from Halo 1 even the more mature ones and that is why Doom is losing foothold in mainstream media

Waffenak said:

I doubt they would change it, it feels like nowadays gamers are starting fps history from Halo 1 even the more mature ones and that is why Doom is losing foothold in mainstream media

Exactly. The CoD series really gained popularity with the first "Modern Warfare" so those iterations which came before it are probably considered "ancestors of the genre" or something. Recently I saw the first Counter-strike called "the grandfather of all military FPS games", which on the one hand is true, but on the other it's dangerously close to calling it "the grandfather of all FPS" :P

Waffenak said:

Except it's not. Mods like Brutal Doom have drastically increased Doom's popularity and attracted a lot of mostly unwanted fans.

Im pretty sure they will, they did one with pac man a while back. Im sure you could ask anyone in google about doom and theyd say " oh man! ...that game!"

I think there's a pretty good chance they will. Google might be full of arseholes but they're still geeks (a bit like this place :P ).

Also, they have a 107 year old programmer as their current doodle. You can't get much more retro than that...

I really hope they do. Firstly, it would be kickass, and secondly, it might bring old and new fans into the community, which would be nice for us.

MFG38 said:

You just had to mention it, didn't you?

Not only did he mention it, but I just read all five pages of that thread and made a large contribution myself. Oops.

Oh cmon, y'all know full well that you wouldn't be pleased with anything short of a complete and flawless Doom source port running in the Doodle itself ;-)

Speaking unofficially, but you're never ever going to see something like this. Guns and hell don't exactly fit with Google's brand.

fraggle said:

Speaking unofficially, but you're never ever going to see something like this. Guns and hell don't exactly fit with Google's brand.

You could change all that ;)

valkiriforce said:

Whoops - looks like another 10 years of waiting.

Or let's make it 5, and see if 25 passes.

Or even next year. Yesterday they celebrated Grace Hopper's 107th birthday.

Because 107 is really significant.

Grace Hooper who?

But it's Human Rights day today and there's nothing on the logo.

==================
= GoDooMel search engine =
==================
-------------------------------
----- enter search -----------
-------------------------------

-> Find This
-> im feeling knee deep in the dead

dew said:

Human Rights? That's a dumb name, who was he?

Related to the guys who invented the plane I guess, except he couldn't pronounce his W's, so he removed it and added an s for compensation.

myk said:

Grace Hooper who?

But it's Human Rights day today and there's nothing on the logo.

i demand zombie rights. they've been slaughtered for 20 years now.