Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Best 'Weapon X' to Counter 'Monster Y'

Joe667 said:

Although if there's 5 or so former humans/former sergeants in a group, you can take 'em all out with the Super Shotgun.
It's harder to do this with chaingunners though, because they have more health (70%, which is 10% more than an imp has).

true true, I still prefer the chaingun however, but I have done this before as well.

Xaser said:

Telefrag -> Co-op partner

The Best thing ever.
BONUS: Telefrag buddy with your gibbed corpse, when you became victim of telefrag in first place.

Guest Unregistered account
Pirx said:

...however, plasma is great for getting out quickly when swarmed by monsters...

Like in Map 12: The Factory of Doom II, when you get teleported to that room where four imps close in and immediately tear you apart.

...BFG for dispatching bosses quickly via tracers...

Um... actually, the only "Boss" enemy that can be damaged by the extra tracer ray effect is the Baron of Hell. Both the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind are completely immune to it.

Unless I'm thinking of splash damage...

Joe667 said:

Um... actually, the only "Boss" enemy that can be damaged by the extra tracer ray effect is the Baron of Hell. Both the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind are completely immune to it.

Unless I'm thinking of splash damage...

You're thinking splash damage. Those tracers are the most useful thing, and the reason it's possible to 2-shot a Cyberdemon.

Tracers are hitscan spread, not splash damage. The only weapon that is a source of splash damage in Doom is the rocket launcher. You'll notice that you obtain very different results when you hit an enemy point-blank with a rocket launcher and with a BFG. When you hit them with the BFG, you do not kill yourself.

So yeah, bosses aren't immune to BFG tracers.

For me:

Zombieman - pistol, shotgun*, chaingun*
Shotgunguy - Pistol, shotgun*, chaingun*
Chaingunguy - Shotgun, Chaingun*, SSG
Imp - Pistol, Shotgun*, Chaingun
Pinky/Spectre - Shotgun, SSG, Chainsaw, Berserk*
Cacodemon - Chaingun* (far), Chainsaw* (close), shotgun, SSG
Pain Elemental - Shotgun, SSG, Chaingun*
Lost Soul - Shotgun, SSG*, Chaingun*
Hell Knight - SSG*, Rocket Launcher
Baron - SSG, Rocket Launcher*, Plasma Rifle
Revenant - SSG*, Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, Plasma
Mancubus - SSG, Rocket Launcher*, Plasma Rifle
Arachnotron - SSG, Chaingun*, Rocket Launcher
Archvile - SSG, Rocket Launcher*, Plasma Rifle, BFG
Spider Mastermind - Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, BFG*
Cyberdemon - Plasma, BFG*

Hordes - Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle*, BFG*

*preferred weapons if applicable, may depend on conditions

PL is pretty much the only "emergency weapon" that you can rely upon to do a LOT of damage and QUICKLY when you're about to get your ass handed to you at close range, without relying on minimum ammo quantity (unlike the BFG it's still usable below 40 cells) and precise shooting timing/cadence. At close range and WITHOUT being able to use the BFG, it's the only weapon that can successfully prevent a tough monster such as an AV, Baron or Manc from firing back.

For example, the BFG has a long delay before dealing ANY damage, which might be fatal, while even the SSG, powerful at it might be, is still a hitscan weapon with a huge delay after each shot, so a miss will be an immediate and total waste, and it's not really going to keep e.g. a Baron or AV pinned down even if all pellets hit, because it's essentially a one-tic affair. Plus, with no travel time or visual feedback you don't get a chance to correct your aim.

It's also pretty much the only weapon in Doom which you can use in a "spray and pray" manner, like a gun in an arcade game, big fat visible projectile balls included.

Former Human: Pistol, Shotgun, Chaingun
Former Human Sergeant: Pistol, Shotgun, Chaingun
Former Human Commando: Chaingun, Super Shotgun
Imp: Pistol, Shotgun, Chaingun
Demon/Spectre: Chainsaw, Super Shotgun
Baron of Hell: Rocket Launcher, BFG 9000
Hell Knight: Rocket Launcher, Super Shotgun, Plasma Gun
Cacodemon: Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, Super Shotgun, Plasma Gun
Pain Elemental: - Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun, BFG 9000
Lost Soul: Chainsaw, Shotgun, Chaingun
Arch-Vile: Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun, BFG 9000
Revenant: Rocket Launcher, Super Shotgun, Plasma Gun
Mancubus: Rocket Launcher, Super Shotgun, Plasma Gun
Cyberdemon: Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun, BFG 9000
Spider Mastermind: Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun, BFG 9000

I rarely use the fist, even with berserk. Same with the chainsaw. My preferred weapons of choice are the Chaingun and Plasma Gun, provided I've got enough ammunition for both. The shotguns are for up-close and personal confrontations mostly. I really only use the BFG 9000 as a panic weapon or when I need to get a tough monster out of the way fast.

Sadly Doom doesn't really specialize weapons against any type of monsters. Just use whatever holds the most ammo. In some cases it's more appropriate to use some guns over others.

For most casual encounters, the shotgun is enough. When treading through unknown territory, especially in Doom 2, hold the Chaingun ready, so you're prepared for ambushes. Rocket Launcher is the one to use against tight groups. Plasma gun is a great panic gun, like a bigger chaingun. BFG is a room clearer.

I've found the super-shotgun weak against revenants, because they're so easy to miss. The chainsaw is powerless against certain monsters...

In some cases the chaingun tends to be better than the shotgun gun for quickly killing sergeants without being shot like when you miss the first time with the shotgun.

Sometimes I'll use the chainsaw when I get an invulnerability sphere and there's a group of lower ranking monsters, or a single Baron of Hell. It's pretty fun to mow them down before the effect wears off.

printz said:

I've found the super-shotgun weak against revenants, because they're so easy to miss.

Open areas with a lot of distance between the Rev and the player (Like a lot of Plutonia MAP02 I believe, which has several Revs at range), I can definitely see it as a problem, though I always found it working wonders in close range. Generally they'll try to hit you, like in a crowded hallway, and backing up to pack a shot is generally pretty easily. Watch them try to hit you again as you reload and nail them with he second hit, which usually downs them.

The chaingun is useful for long range though, though the PR works well too.

printz said:

Sadly Doom doesn't really specialize weapons against any type of monsters.

Well, the SSG seems a "match made in Heaven" (or in Hell?) for a lot of big, fat monsters that like running up to you. These include demons/spectres, mancs, revs, PEs, cacos etc. that just seem BEGGING to catch all the pellets they possibly can, while remaining relatively safe at typical engagement distances (well, pinkies are practically suicidal, a melee-only monster that suck at melee, and apparently like biting on the SSG's barrels a lot). Too bad that pinkies, as easy as they are to kill, are a waste of two shells, IMO.

Guest Unregistered account
Piper Maru said:

Sometimes I'll use the chainsaw when I get an invulnerability sphere and there's a group of lower ranking monsters, or a single Baron of Hell. It's pretty fun to mow them down before the effect wears off.

Well, when I was around Six years old and me and my sisters crowded round the computer watching Dad play, on Map08 he used to get the Invulnerability Sphere then Chainsaw away at the Barons of Hell. I don't remember a Cyberdemon, but that's probably just due to my memory - Amazing what six years can do...

I've successfully punched Cyberdemon to death with and without a berserk pack but only tried doing each one time only.

Yeah, the plasma gun isn't always that useful except in emergencies. When I play through E2, I always keep the plasma in reserve until the Cyberdemon fight.