Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

Memfis said:

Also, here is a FDA for Tatsurd's latest map.

gggmork said:

Thank you for FDA! I was very busy on Nov, so I wasn't able to update my maps. I will update my first map until this christmas, but I don't intend to update my second map yet because there is no idea for improvements. Any opinions still are welcome!

TimeOfDeath came to me in my sleep and whispered to me that I should make a map in his honour. I got up and sat down at the computer and began drawing things. It turned out like this.

It lacks the charm that ToD's maps have though.

Also, I met a mouse on my way home from work today, not a bear.

sf2012 tex!

FDA for bear. Gamma level 0 users rejoice! Finally a map that looks good and remains playable on that setting. ;)

Couldn't stand D_RUNNIN on a map with 1700 monsters, so I promptly quit and put D_BLOOD6 in there instead (on a whim; I didn't even know what this particular midi sounded like). For what it's worth, it seemed to fit.

I liked the map, enough to start over when I died in what seemed to be the last fight. Of course, that was because I forgot about the massive AV/chaingunner fight; which is no doubt possible, but too nerve-wracking for me to pull off more than once in a single gaming session.

No complaints or suggestions whatsoever.

Phml said:

No complaints or suggestions whatsoever.

Best playtester ever! :]

Well played! You figured out some ways to deal with the fights that I hadn't thought about. It's nice to know that it works in more than one way.

And you're right, you died in the last fight. You might want to find the secret to make some early fights easier and less stressfull.

Here catch
http://speedy.sh/vYrPy/rayzikslaughterday.wad
"Rayzik's Slaughterday"
It was a 2 hour speedmap made for Rayzik's birthday a couple of weeks back, and well it might as well be put forward here as it's a fairly quick slaughtermap.
A couple of changes from the original conception are altering the action of the key door which automatically starts lowering the exit as well, the other being co-op starts put in place. Not difficulty/co-op placement as of yet.

Good idea with the exit door cannonball, I wonder where you got it ;)

And from when I played it, I honestly believe it will fit nicely in this set as maybe one of the earlier maps, since it's not too terribly difficult.

Depending on when the project ends, I might finally have a map for it. I'll be finishing it tomorrow because I'm completely burnt out on it for now. I have playtested what I already have as extensively as I could (although I must admit that by the 10th revision I just IDDQD'd through until the revised part to save my sanity).

EDIT: Also, isn't QDEMON1 supposed to be a switch texture? I'm pretty sure I've made other maps with q1tex.wad where I used it as such and it did light up when I pressed it, but it doesn't with the Slaughterfest pack.

Anyway, my map is in more or less playable condition. I'll go over it a few more times to add lighting, maybe some detail and finetune the difficulty, but it should be very nearly complete. With that said, I did just map for some five hours straight, interspersed with playtesting, so it's entirely possible that I missed something in the end there. With that in mind, I'd like for others to test my map as well, to find any bugs that I missed.

Map name: Blood For The Blood God! (you'll see why once you play)
Uses SF2013-tex.wad and has a new midi. Does not use the infinite BFG.
Screenshots to come later when the map has lighting.
Here it is in its current state:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dx6n7dvhm6vcvdg/chaosslaughter.wad

FDA for chaosslaughter.wad. I had plenty of missing textures with just SF2013-tex, so made a texture wad with some trial and error in DB2 and MTrop's TexSpy and TexStract. It might have textures from q1tex and cc4-tex, plus something else as there's still a few missing flats.

Unreasonable amounts of aggression for the health provided, IMHO. Arch-viles in every fight, when you're sitting at 100 health max... After your initial green armor is gone, you get to be hit once. Projectile + AV blast = death. AV blast + AV blast = death; and getting blasted by AVs is very likely, given their number coupled with how open the room is. With the teleports and all it's a crapshoot. Do they TP slowly, and come in just as HK projectiles are going this way, and start infighting? You're in luck. Do 2 or 3 TP in a row and immediately start putting their flames on you? You're dead.

This is the first map that made me quit in a while, so congrats for that. :p Probably the frustration talking, but I have to wonder if your playtesting was done with saves after every fight. Some encounters may feel OK when you go through a map with saves with a 50% success rate each time, but with a mere 10 savespots like that you're roughly looking at a 1/1000 success rate in demo play.

It seems like it could be a fun map if it wasn't so stingy with resources. Maybe I'm missing something.

Hmm... it might also skew my results that I made the map and playtested it every step of the way, so I got really good at knowing exactly what to do to minimize danger. I'll have to run through it again on UV and adjust pickups to be a little more fair.

And yeah, there may be a bit too many Viles especially early on.

Also, I just checked and I switched to using sf2013pr-tex_v2.wad for resources sometime between making the starting room a week ago and starting on the rest yesterday. So that's probably why you had missing textures.

Here's the revised map. It still has no lighting, but I reduced the number of archviles significantly (although mostly on lower difficulties), gave a little more armor, and provided some nice surprises for the final fight.

Ooh, there's lower difficulties. Should have checked that out *before* going on a rant, huh.

HMP and HNTR FDAs for the first version of chaosslaughter.wad. HMP is more my speed, although I eventually dropped all the way down to skill 2 to avoid the rev/cg/sg/av fight early on which just murders me.

The two rooms you TP in were quite enjoyable. Creative use of wall detail to stop the usual pop in and out of a corner to take down AVs easily. In the other room, I don't know if this was intended but I like how the Sunderish floor detail stops monsters following you (if you leave stragglers from the previous fight) inside and create a new fight with you between revs at the center and HKs/barons on the edges.

The 2 AVs/cyber part was cool too, initially it feels impossible, then you notice you're far enough you can take down the closest one without the other one or the cybie shooting you if you stay near the switch, then there's a nice cybie fight with the additional challenge of keeping AV LOS in check (or rush to the AV through cyb rockets). That said, I don't think the repetition added anything. It's fun to do it once, pointless to do it twice.

I got stuck after the part where 4 cybies teleport on towers with a imp ground horde and cacos behind walls. Didn't look *too* hard, because I had taken a quick look at the map in DB2 after my UV FDA and it seemed one voodoo doll meant to trigger a bunch of stuff was missing its own release trigger (sector 424).

Phml said:

Ooh, there's lower difficulties. Should have checked that out *before* going on a rant, huh.

HMP and HNTR FDAs for the first version of chaosslaughter.wad. HMP is more my speed, although I eventually dropped all the way down to skill 2 to avoid the rev/cg/sg/av fight early on which just murders me.

The two rooms you TP in were quite enjoyable. Creative use of wall detail to stop the usual pop in and out of a corner to take down AVs easily. In the other room, I don't know if this was intended but I like how the Sunderish floor detail stops monsters following you (if you leave stragglers from the previous fight) inside and create a new fight with you between revs at the center and HKs/barons on the edges.

The 2 AVs/cyber part was cool too, initially it feels impossible, then you notice you're far enough you can take down the closest one without the other one or the cybie shooting you if you stay near the switch, then there's a nice cybie fight with the additional challenge of keeping AV LOS in check (or rush to the AV through cyb rockets). That said, I don't think the repetition added anything. It's fun to do it once, pointless to do it twice.

I got stuck after the part where 4 cybies teleport on towers with a imp ground horde and cacos behind walls. Didn't look *too* hard, because I had taken a quick look at the map in DB2 after my UV FDA and it seemed one voodoo doll meant to trigger a bunch of stuff was missing its own release trigger (tag 5, IIRC).

Oh goddamnit. I must have accidentally selected something I didn't mean to select and broken the voodoo doll. Quick fix coming up.

Yep, that was it. When I made the last voodoo doll, I accidentally selected the sector blocking that one and set its tag to the same as the moving floor.

Fixed map, also some more help for the beginning part in the form of an additional armor bonus that bumps your starting armor up to blue protection.

I'm not sure yet what to do with the baron area (and yes, the blocking floor detail was deliberate). I might make the fights after the two switches different.

Hihi, cool map Solarn. I played through your newest version on UV with saves. Damn frustrating, but pretty fun, here are some thoughts!

- first off the teleport closets are poorly designed. long and narrow with 1 WR tele line == Sloooooooow. For example I was standing here for quite awhile waiting for imps to tele in one at a time. Personally I like to use wide tele closets with multiple lines, like this for example, it speeds the process along nicely.

- repeated encounters are kind of boring. Like the AV/cyb thing phml mentioned, and the imp/AV thing mentioned in my previous point. I think it'd be fine just doing either of those things just once.

- I share Phml's frustration with the 4 AVs during the "third" fight in the map, but I'll take your word for it that there's probably a reasonably safe way to handle it... I think.

- this room. Maybe I'm just absolutely terrible, but I felt it was stingy on ammo. I spent nearly all my resources taking down the caco horde (ssg spamming a large amount -.-) that I didn't have enough to clear out the 4 cybs/AVs. I ended up cutting my losses here and using IDFA so I could see the last parts of the map :p. I think I might've teleported to that area without collecting sufficient stuffs in the main room, so if it's indeed balanced as is and I'm just bad then feel free to ignore this one. But if the concern is valid I think you could afford to nix a few caco, or give a little more rocket/cell ammo.

- It seems easy to hit the 4 switches around the perimeter and bum rush the exit in the final fight. Of course this is meaningless for maps designed around UV-max play, but just thought I'd mention it.

- here's a random graphical glitch I found during the last fight while playing with GL graphics.

Overall a seriously aggressive map, the texturing / encounter design kind of reminds me of the later levels in chillax (like mid 40s or something). Neat.

Ribbiks said:
- first off the teleport closets are poorly designed. long and narrow with 1 WR tele line == Sloooooooow. For example I was standing here for quite awhile waiting for imps to tele in one at a time. Personally I like to use wide tele closets with multiple lines, like this for example, it speeds the process along nicely.

Hmm... Yeah, that's a problem I have. I try to cram as many teleport closets in as small a space as possible and that leads to these long, narrow designs. I'll redesign the biggest ones to work better.

- repeated encounters are kind of boring. Like the AV/cyb thing phml mentioned, and the imp/AV thing mentioned in my previous point. I think it'd be fine just doing either of those things just once.

I've already made some changes to those two encounters, I just haven't gotten around to uploading the updated map yet.

- I share Phml's frustration with the 4 AVs during the "third" fight in the map, but I'll take your word for it that there's probably a reasonably safe way to handle it... I think.

The way I do it is either I run out in the middle so they see me, wait for them to navigate around the other monsters and then unleash some rockets immediately, or alert the monsters, wait a few seconds, run across the middle room and then try to circle around the horde taking potshots at the Viles whenever I see the opportunity.

- this room. Maybe I'm just absolutely terrible, but I felt it was stingy on ammo. I spent nearly all my resources taking down the caco horde (ssg spamming a large amount -.-) that I didn't have enough to clear out the 4 cybs/AVs. I ended up cutting my losses here and using IDFA so I could see the last parts of the map :p. I think I might've teleported to that area without collecting sufficient stuffs in the main room, so if it's indeed balanced as is and I'm just bad then feel free to ignore this one. But if the concern is valid I think you could afford to nix a few caco, or give a little more rocket/cell ammo.

I've never really run out of ammo on that fight, but I will reduce the number of cacos anyway because they clutter up the room. Also, there won't be 4 cybs because that is ridiculous. I have been way too generous with cyberdemons on this map. At one point the final fight had 16 on UV.

- It seems easy to hit the 4 switches around the perimeter and bum rush the exit in the final fight. Of course this is meaningless for maps designed around UV-max play, but just thought I'd mention it.

This ties in to the bad monster closet design. If the cacos came out of the corners faster, it would be much harder to just dash around and activate every switch.

- here's a random graphical glitch I found during the last fight while playing with GL graphics.

Goddamnit.

Fierce Attack v2 (with cc4-tex)

Finally I updated my first wad and named its title.
*Updates
- Changing the layout of BFG's room from Ribbiks' feedback.
- Deleting some "block monster" states.
- Adding a few ammo.
- Fixing a yellow key's switch was set for a red key.

hey tatsurd, I played through the new version and it's looking good. I especially liked the last phase of the final arena, wide waves of mancubus fireballs is the stuff of my dooming nightmares :)

Anyways, I'll reiterate my thoughts about the yellow-key area because I still think it's gamebreaking:

- I think these lines should be block monster, because it's easy for the cybs to get stuck on them and then get helplessly raped to death by HKs/etc.

- I think this liquid should be damaging because it's way to easy to camp the encounter from down here and cheese it (unless that's the intended strategy??)

hihi. COMPILATION UPDATE:

So I've compiled the newest versions of everyone's maps into a single wad, worked out all the texture dependencies and etc (largely easy due to various scripts and such, huzzah). Anyways, I went through and played all the levels and noted many things that need changes/additions/etc. Have at you!

Map Name:                           Flag:   Current:    Prospective:
---------                           -----   --------    ------------

Temple Arena                        c       01          03 - 09
Firestarter                                 02          03 - 09
Joyless                             mdb     03          15 - 19
Butt                                db      04          20 - 25, 31+
Poop                                *db     05          25 - 29
Castle of the Damned                mb      06          10 - 15, 31+
Gut Buster                          c       07          03 - 09
Mult                                db      08          15 - 25
Daiyu's Chamber                             09          15 - 19
Pathogen                            mdb     10          02 - 09
Desecration                         m       11          03 - 15
Wavebreaker                         m       12          11 - 15
Red Recluse                         d       13          25 - 29
Metastasizing Slaughterfest         mX      14
Trick or Cheat                              15          31+
The Farthest Reach                  m       16          02 - 09
Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth       db      17          25 - 29
Three Lines                         d       18          31+
Shanghai Massacre                   m       19          19 - 25
Exodus Redux                        d       20          03 - 15
dHoles                              db      21          25 - 29
Aquafresh Crescents                 c       22          10 - 19
Pacman                                      32          31+
Insane Trip Part I                  dbc     23          20 - 24
Broken Mind                                 24          05 - 15
Assault on UAC Base 13              bc      25          15 - 25
Untitled                            d       26          03 - 07
Fierce Attack                               27          11 - 17
Evil Battlefield of Demons                  28          02 - 07
Meet a Bear                         db      29          05 - 25
Rayzik's Slaughterday               d       30          03 - 07
Chaos Slaughter                     *       31          17 - 24

* - Incomplete and/or currently undergoing revisions
m - needs multiplayer support and/or bugfixes
d - needs difficulty settings
b - needs midi
c - I have some concerns about gameplay

X - map currently unplayable due to compilation error (sorry daiyu! I'm working on it.)
"current" just refers to the mapslot of the wad in my current compilation that I'm using for testing purposes. Prospective means the mapslot range in the final mapset that I think the map would best fit into, I'm open to feedback and suggestions here!

The most important part is the "flag" section where I noted things that need to be done for each map. Many maps don't have any difficulty settings, and some maps lack multiplayer starts. Many maps also don't have any midi, if you wish for your map to have default midi or want one chosen for you (probably by me) let me know. The "concerns about gameplay" one is mostly my personal preference after cruising through the map, I'm open to others' opinions on this as well.

Hopefully most of the authors of the maps in need of changes/additions/etc will be kind enough to implement the fixes themselves and post a corrected wad. If too much time passes I may send out some PMs or worst-case scenario take the matter into my own hands.

By the way, if anyone wants to check to make sure everything in their map functions properly, here's the version of the wad I've compiled thus far: https://www.mediafire.com/?y14bbif7b5l5idz

Cheers.

If quality control says gut buster doesn't play well enough, you can get rid of it. I'm not too overly proud of it.

TimeOfDeath said:

Thx for playing all the maps again this year j4. I guess you never played Quake before, eh? It's a cool game!

Nope, I haven't. If it's a pre-requisite to beat a doom map, then I'm not exactly pleased. At least a megasphere at start would make that trial&error luckcrap more tolerable.

I also played gut buster back then and it basically had me stop playing. Yeah, it was pretty bad. So bad it was horrible. FDA

Mult - FDA. Not really a FDA. It's still pretty awesome.

Hmm, I was sure I added a midi to Pathogen, but maybe my memory is fucked. I can get to fix things up (multiplayer, skill levels and midi) when I get back to my EVIL LAIR after christmess.

allrighty sounds good, happy festivus/christmess/etc!

+1 on thanks for playing through stuff j4, just hearing someone elses comments helps me feel less dictatorial when it comes to shuffling maps around or thinking something needs changes :) If you're not already I'd recco playing the compilation in my above post, so you can avoid nonsense with texpacks and etc.

Untitled - I couldn't be arsed to touch it up (lack of difficulty settings not being the only issue) and I don't see that changing anytime soon, best to remove it entirely.

eek, I rather liked that one regardless. how opposed are you to me making changes?

on a side note here are some other random things I've noted thus far:

- random textures that I still need to add ANIMATED entries for (this is largely just for my purposes): 1 2 3

- RedRecluse: this looks funky in GL graphics. not a big deal but thought I'd mention it.

- Pacman: it's possible to run along this ledge, skip the linedef that raises the cybs, then fall into their invisible pit.

- Desecration: this MM feels tedious/pointless. A minor gripe, but ohwell.

Ribbiks said:

Oh, I remember fucking that one up in my dmp13 map while renaming stuff (whom I'm fooling though, Archi renamed them all because I was too lazy to do it myself and he always steps forward as a redeemer of my sorry ass). Or maybe it was originally that way... not sure, there were several occasions actually. Anyway, with that one I said fuck it and just made it scrolling. Look ma, I fixed it!

Phml's map should be moved outside of 32 according to sf12's logic because of pink cock. But yeah, I liked it too.

eek, I rather liked that one regardless. how opposed are you to me making changes?

I'm cool with whatever you do with it.

Phml said:

I'm cool with whatever you do with it.

excellent, same thing with Three Lines then? (I'd just plan on adding difficulty settings to that one, won't change anything on UV)

also do ya desire any fenagling with the map authorship if I make edits? I really don't care either way but I recall you get antsy if your name's on something and it's not exactly as you intended :p

Demonologist said:

Phml's map should be moved outside of 32 according to sf12's logic because of pink cock. But yeah, I liked it too.

I like the idea of putting pink bfg in 31+ for a couple reasons:
- in MP if people complete maps (only 1 person does death exit) they could keep weapons and just mercilessly break the following maps.
- downplays spam gameplay that disregards ammo management

But that being said I think Phml's map is pretty easy and fun and would make a good early level. He said he's cool with whatever, so maybe that could entail replacing the bfg with a regular one and scattering cells around. Or an even better idea!... keep the pink bfg on single player (and keep the death exit), but on multiplayer replace it with a regular bfg and a shit ton of cells.

Hi,

I won't be able to have a play around with Assault On UAC Base 13 until the new year as I'm away now. Assuming you've not issued the megawad then I'll take another look at the monster distribution and pick a midi :)

Merry Christmas everyone,

Dave

FDA on Daiyu's chamber. I quite liked it. Only the beginning is a little annoying without any powerup at disposal right away (I'd consider either soulsphere or invisibility) and I didn't like BFG placement at all. You have 2 entirely symmetrical areas so you shouldn't get BFG in one part and not in the other exact same part. I'd put BFG to YK room and have RK and BK wings have both same arsenal at disposal (RK, PG, SSG).

Holy fuck I forgot all about this. Will have to dig to get my map out of the attic :p.

So what's the main concern with it now? I'm hoping that all the HOMs were gone, as aquacrescents doesn't need plutonia textures now.