Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultimate Demon

I hope that my PC can cope with DOOM3

Maybe if i have the resolution on 640x480 and 2xFSAA maybe i'll get high enough frames per second to be able to play the game :P Sure it's kinda slow ( a Athlon XP 1.6+, 256 MB DDRAM and a Geforce3 TI500 ) but i hope that i can play DOOM3... Or should i have higher resolution? Maybe this was a really really stupid thread....

It'll work. Maybe you could use some more RAM and get the newest graphics card when the game's out.

Fredrik said:

It'll work. Maybe you could use some more RAM and get the newest graphics card when the game's out.

Good :) maybe i'll buy one more 256 MB DDRam for my PC :) And maybe a Geforce4 TI4200? What is the difference between a Geforce3 TI500 and a Geforce4 TI4200?

Just wait until the game's out before buying a new graphics card, then buy something which you're 100% sure will run the game well.

If you want to play DOOM 3, don't get a GF4 now. It's at least one year left until the game's out - you'll find a twice as powerful card for the same price then.

Ok, but Matrox new card that is twice as powerful as the most powerful Geforce4 card out? only $400 for a 128 MB version and a 256 MB i don't know the price yet :(

Definitely wait wait wait,not only will what you can buy now be so much cheaper but there will be so many newer models by then too.We could be up to say...Ge-force 6 or 7 by then,there may even be almost totally new technology too.

magikal said:

Ge-force 6 or 7 ...

So it will be Doom3-force then :)

BTW, hi everybody...

Fredrik said:

GeForce 7? I doubt that. They'll come up with a new name.

Yeah, they did 286s, 386s, 486, but when they reached what could've been called 586 they called it "Pentium" and Intel's CPUs have kept that name since afaik.

New Nvidia chip (...most important contribution...) START THE HYPE

The new chip will be manufactured on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.'s latest 0.13-micron manufacturing process, Huang said. Huang did not reveal the name or specific features of the chip, but did say it was a fundamentally new architecture from the GeForce 4 Titanium introduced earlier this year.

"It is the most important contribution we've made to the graphics industry since the founding of this company," Huang said, speaking at the Merrill Lynch Hardware Heaven Technology Conference.

and from http://64.246.22.60/~admin61/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1114

Regarding the seemingly low-poly models (from the screenshots), shadow volume lighting and how they relate to his engine. I said that his engine may slow down if higher polies are used and if ATI's TruForm may help out :
Quote:
The game characters are between 2000 and 6000 polygons. Some of the heads do look a little angular in tight zooms, so we may use some custom models for cinematic scenes.

Curving up the models with more polygons has a basically linear effect on performance, but making very jagged models with lots of little polygonal points would create far more silhouette edges, which could cause a disproportionate slowdown during rendering when they get close.

TruForm is not an option, because the calculated shadow silhouettes would no longer be correct.

Regarding higher precision rendering on a Radeon 8500 vis-a-vis a GF3/GF4Ti. I stated the obvious difference (like JC didn't know it, bleh!) in this aspect between the two and how, during combining, the 8500 allows for better dynamics in lighting. The question was if this would be an influence in how DOOM3 would look depending on the board used :
Quote:
At the moment, it has no impact. The DOOM engine performs some pre modulation and post scaling to support arbitrarily bright light values without clamping at the expense of dynamically tossing low order precision bits, but so far, the level designers aren't taking much advantage of this. If they do (and it is a good feature!), I can allow the ATI to do this internally without losing the precision bits, as well as saving a tiny bit of speed.

Regarding his publicly-stated (but somewhat veiled ) "complaint" (re GF3/GF4Ti vs 8500) about multiple passes based on the number of texture accesses he needs (7, as he stated) and that although the 8500 should, in theory/based-on-specs, be faster but somehow the GF3/GF4Ti is "consistently" faster even with 2 or 3 passes (compared to the single one on a 8500). My question was whether the 8500 may have a problem in terms of latency even if its single shader does all the work (bandwidth savings accepted as well) :
Quote:
No, latency should not be a problem, unless they (JC's talking about ATI's 8500 ) have mis-sized some internal buffers. Dividing up a fixed texture cache among six textures might well be an issue, though. It seems like the nvidia cards are significantly faster on very simple rendering, and our stencil shadow volumes take up quite a bit of time.

Several hardware vendors have poorly targeted their control logic and memory interfaces under the assumption that high texture counts will be used on the bulk of the pixels. While stencil shadow volumes with zero textures are an extreme case, almost every game of note does a lot of single texture passes for blended effects.

I'm thinking eventually Nvidia will go to cards with letters for names not numbers like "GeForce 4". Anyways, By then, the AMD Sledgehammer and it's less capable brother, Clawhammer will be out. They are supposed to be starting in the 3 ghz range. That is, "supposed to be". Since there is so little info on them as they are still being tested, however, check yahoo for reviews and stuff, apparently the new amd chip is supposed to have over 900 pins. Probably not true, however, remember that with every new chip the number of transistors double, which means twice the performance. They will be released this fall. Anyways, point is, with the new video cards out by then and the new chips, you will be in great shape for doom 3.

the latest ATI card is the best card for Doom3 currently.
I bought a new system for many reasons, but one of which was the soon-to-disappear win98 support... if you want to play Doom and Doom3 that is a must.
Carmack said that any late generation card will be fine... pretty much a GeForce2 and up. Although, he also said that you need 128Mb card with at least 4 threads to expect over 30 fps....

considering the game was DESINGED ON A WORKSTATION ONLY AS POWERFUL AS YOUR SYSTEM RIGHT NOW you might not have to buy a new system AT ALL

Xian said:

considering the game was DESINGED ON A WORKSTATION ONLY AS POWERFUL AS YOUR SYSTEM RIGHT NOW you might not have to buy a new system AT ALL

Did you consider the possibility that they (id) might add "heavier" details as they get better systems?
Look at the macworld video and compare that to what is to be seen in the video now - it's more detailed than before.

And keep in mind the machines they make the games on are powerful as hell. I've seen motherboards that support 4 pentium 4 2.x ghz chips before, so I wouldn't be surprised if they use something like that for rendering, etc.