Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clamgor

Logical explanation for the HOMs

When the game renders the level to the screen, it draws it into a buffer, an area of memory. During gameplay, the previous contents of the buffer are overwritten by consecutive frames. However, if a player travels outside the level, there are no walls to draw, so Doom draws nothing. Instead, the previous contents of the buffer are displayed, left over from previous frames.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hall_of_Mirrors_effect

I wonder... is there a way to make a HOM that doesn't also tile weapon sprites, so you'd just see the walls next to the blank sidedef repeated? Probably not easily, come to think of it.

But it is a pretty neat effect. I'm surprised more games don't make use of something like it. Reminds me 60-70's cinema, man. 8^D

schwerpunk said:

I wonder... is there a way to make a HOM that doesn't also tile weapon sprites, so you'd just see the walls next to the blank sidedef repeated? Probably not easily, come to think of it.

Try using a pwad with transparent weapon sprites, there's also the r_drawplayersprites CVAR for ZDoom which I use when taking screenshots.

Crasger said:

I've just had a stupid idea.

I've always wondered if there was a logical explanation for the HOM glitch.

Do you mean from a technical point of view or a story point of view? :p

If the latter, I guess it could be given the standard "malign influence of Hell" explanation. :p

It's a place that can't be grasped by a human mind, can't be comprehended or interpreted, hence the brain does the only thing left and just fills the space with things that were there previously since there's no new information coming in. Elementary.

If you took a photo of it it would probably still look the same, it's the pc which is causing it not the mind.

I think I didn't make it clear enough. I mean try to come up with a convoluted plot and story about HOMs and try to make it as realistic (or as funny) as possible.

Crasger said:

I think I didn't make it clear enough. I mean try to come up with a convoluted plot and story about HOMs and try to make it as realistic (or as funny) as possible.

No HOMo

Story explanation is the same as the technical one. Hell is clearly a simulation to test Doomy McGuy's mental acuity and resilience in a battle of bizarre and unexpected circumstances. Ergo, HOM is a glitch in the Matrix. Ergo, HOM is a glitch in the Matrix.

Crasger said:

It's fairly standard iIllusio-pit technology. The UAC has mastered the process for decades. Why, they even use it to trap cyberdemons!

It's a special environment that induces scintillating scotomas. You know, those lovely and panic-inducing visual disturbances that can precede an excruciating migraine.

If you stare into a HOM for too long, the radio will cracker and tell you that you're the demons. And then you will be a zombie.