Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Barrels and co-op

How are barrels affected by the item respawn toggle when playing co-op, if at all? Do barrels respawn if pickup items are set to do so, or are they always a fire-once-and-forget item?

The Barrels respawn only if you set in. The item respawn only affect items, while the barrels respawn option will ONLY spawn the barrels. Logical no? When you look at the barrel, type in the console linetarget (the barel must be in front of you) The barrel has 30 hp. When you use the code to an item, it says just: no target found. Thats the difference from items and barrels.

gOrEE33 said:

The Barrels respawn only if you set in. The item respawn only affect items, while the barrels respawn option will ONLY spawn the barrels. Logical no? When you look at the barrel, type in the console linetarget (the barel must be in front of you) The barrel has 30 hp. When you use the code to an item, it says just: no target found. Thats the difference from items and barrels.

Not sure I get what program you're describing settings and commands for, my hands-on exerience with co-op Doom is severely limited at present and I'm just building a level in Doom Builder, but I think still take your meaning: there is a separate respawn flag you can set for barrels, independently of items respawning.

That's really all I was wondering about, thanks! :-)

In ZDaemon item respawn flag doesn't affect barrels but there is a separate flag for them. It is very rarely used.

If someone's asking about (non-port-specific) "Doom", don't give a ZDoom-specific answer. Give a vanilla answer unless specified elsewhere, otherwise you are misleading them.

Barrels do not respawn by default, at all. Some source ports enable this, or have an option for it. Not all do.

Jayextee said:

In deathmatch, there is. However, barrels do not respawn.

But he was asking about Coop so obviously he was talking about source ports and not vanilla?

Well at last, barrels are flag of monsters (theyre modified, but they do not move). But i think these barrels doesnt affect item respawn...

Memfis said:

But he was asking about Coop so obviously he was talking about source ports and not vanilla?

Vanilla Doom has Co-op support. Unless you mean something else?

gOrEE33 said:

Well at last, barrels are flag of monsters (theyre modified, but they do not move)

No, barrels aren't monsters. They're merely shootable objects.

Well.... I only recently rediscovered that Barons start fighting once they explode barresl unto each other! I had clean forgotten about that. :-)

Good thing is, I should be able to make better design decisions for my Plasmaplant map's barrels knowing all this. There's plenty of clusters of cans in there now, and I wasn't sure whether to leave them in for co-op mode, if they were respawning by default...

Since they don't - I'll leave them in. If they were respawning they would probably have been an eventual detriment to co-op gameplay, was the the thought behind starting this post...