Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devalaous

Lets discuss The Master Levels

I wonder if any of the other ML authors knew who it was. I dont think any of them are easily contactable these days though. Ive played or downloaded all the levels from the various ML authors (Dear god are Jim's other Titan maps kicking my brain), including Mustaine and Klie's rejected levels, and I'd like to play the stuff from this mystery person who was good enough to get id's attention. Could be a well known mapper who retired long ago..

Ahh, mysteries.

I keep forgetting you were a part of Eternal Doom 1. The only three works of yours I have never played (Although I have seen pieces of Timegate), the only reason being "When would I have the time for such a monstrous wad!?"

Ragnor said:

I wonder if any of the other ML authors knew who it was. I dont think any of them are easily contactable these days though. Ive played or downloaded all the levels from the various ML authors (Dear god are Jim's other Titan maps kicking my brain), including Mustaine and Klie's rejected levels, and I'd like to play the stuff from this mystery person who was good enough to get id's attention. Could be a well known mapper who retired long ago..

Ahh, mysteries.

I keep forgetting you were a part of Eternal Doom 1. The only three works of yours I have never played (Although I have seen pieces of Timegate), the only reason being "When would I have the time for such a monstrous wad!?"

I've wondered about that too, but if id didn't enter into contract with him before he pulled out of the project, then they might not be at a liberty to discuss him as a person. I guess... I'm no lawyer.

Eternal Doom... Well... Map12 on there is probably my best work, though its a long way to get there if you're not motivated, expecting either original-Doom nostalgia or post-millennium sectors. It probably hasn't aged as well as, say Gothic. Timegate's not a very large map though - at the very least not by Eternal Doom standards. Slap the two together in a wad why don't you. ;-)

Alex Mayberry's stuff is really good from that project though - as I remember it. I don't think he knew about ML going on at the time it was in early development, but I'm pretty sure he was making maps at the time... Contemporary peer anyway, certainly could have made the cut.

I play pretty much anything and everything thats classic styled so it is on my "to do" list. Its when things get slaughtery or mouselooky/jumpy that I veer away, so thanks for not making Plasmaplant too much in either of those directions, its in a nice little niche.

[Actually on topic part] I imagine it must have amused you that Eternal Doom also had Jim Flynn involved, after the Master Levels project :p It was also ironically the final project for both of you. Too bad you couldn't get Klie, Anderson and Mustaine on board too :p (I think Willits was already at id at this point)

Ragnor said:

I play pretty much anything and everything thats classic styled so it is on my "to do" list. Its when things get slaughtery or mouselooky/jumpy that I veer away, so thanks for not making Plasmaplant too much in either of those directions, its in a nice little niche.

[Actually on topic part] I imagine it must have amused you that Eternal Doom also had Jim Flynn involved, after the Master Levels project :p It was also ironically the final project for both of you. Too bad you couldn't get Klie, Anderson and Mustaine on board too :p (I think Willits was already at id at this point)

Working with Jim Flynn was a great honour and a pleasure.

Soundblock said:

Phew....

/wracks brain

Thanks, that was interesting; but I was referring more specifically to Cabal. ;)

Gez said:

Thanks, that was interesting; but I was referring more specifically to Cabal. ;)

Oh that. Just a cool sounding word in the dictionary. :P

BUT, if you should happen to have filled those old cybo shoes before, you can of course nail another hellpoliticking nethwerworlddweller in my newly released (as of tomorrow on monstercute.com) level; Plasmaplant. "The Organ Player" will prove the most elusive opponent from the Cabal yet! :-)

EDIT:
... and its done:
http://www.monstercute.com/uploads/2/8/1/9/2819457/plasmap.zip

For those of you who have any ZDoom (or compatible) port, I have made this for myself earlier this year:

Master Levels episode for ZDoom (zipfile, 91 KB)

The idea was to basically turn the Master Levels into a continuous episode. Xaser posted a suggestion for a possible level sequence over at the ZDoom forums once which I implemented here. It makes a lot of sense since mostly, levels are grouped by authors.

Level sequence (by Xaser):
01 "Attack" .......................................... Tim Willits
02 "Canyon" .......................................... Tim Willits
03 "The Catwalk" ..................................... Christen Klie
04 "The Fistula" ..................................... Christen Klie
05 "The Combine" ..................................... Christen Klie
06 "Subspace" ........................................ Christen Klie
07 "Paradox" ......................................... Tom Mustaine
08 "Subterra" ........................................ Christen Klie
09 "The Garrison" .................................... Christen Klie
10 "Black Tower" ..................................... Sverre A. Kvernmo
11 "Virgil's Lead: 3rd Canto of INFERNO" ............. John Anderson
12 "Minos' Judgement: 4th Canto of INFERNO" .......... John Anderson
13 "Nessus: 5th Canto of INFERNO" .................... John Anderson
14 "Geryon: 6th Canto of INFERNO" .................... John Anderson
15 "Vesperas: 7th Canto of INFERNO" .................. John Anderson
16 "Titan Manor" ..................................... Jim Flynn
17 "Trapped on Titan" ................................ Jim Flynn
18 "The Express Elevator to Hell" * .................. Sverre A. Kvernmo
19 "Bloodsea Keep" ................................... Sverre A. Kvernmo
20 "Mephisto's Maosoleum" ............................ Sverre A. Kvernmo
21 "Bad Dream" ** .................................... Sverre A. Kvernmo

* Exit to secret level
** Secret level

Notes (also included in readme):
- This file will ONLY work with ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum or compatible!
- Title patches have been added to also show the map author besides the level name.
- Many maps were meant for the same map slot and therefore share the same music. Since this gets quite repetitive over time when playing the levels in an episode ("Running From Evil" alone is used 11 times), the tracks have been remapped to use the full range of the Doom II soundtrack. Where possible, original music has been kept.
- Since these levels were not combined in an episode before, each of them is meant to be played with pistol start. Therefore, you will not carry over any equipment after reaching any exit (except for entering the secret level of TEETH.wad, "Bad Dream").
- Adding the maps:
a) Put all Master Level WADs into a "maps" subdir.
b) TEETH.wad needs to be split into two maps (TEETH.wad, TEETH2.wad) in order to work (here's how to do it).
c) Add the whole "maps" folder (including the dir itself!) to "d2master.zip". Rename ending to .pk3 if you want (optional however, will also load with .zip ending).

In Xaser's opinion, "Mephisto's Maosoleum" should be the final level since it has the Icon of Sin fight, and I believe it makes sense. He put "Black Tower" in the middle as some kind of mid-episode pre-climax. It's pretty playable that way, just try it. ^^

After all, it's really hard to arrange all these levels in a continuous episode since they were never meant to be played like that. At least the pistol start resets pay tribute to that approach.