Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Minority Report is real - Texas man convicted for future crimes

http://rt.com/usa/texas-warrants-future-prediction-crimes-449/

According to the Dallas Observer, authorities allegedly received a tip from a confidential informant stating Wehrenberg and his associates were “fixing” to cook meth in the home. Without obtaining a search warrant, they walked into the home and arrested the people inside.

“It was only after unlawfully entering and finding suspicious activity that they felt the need to then secure the warrant in order to cover their tracks and collect the evidence without the taint of their entry.”

So where does the future crime fit in? I'm disappointed, I expected something juicy that actually would fit that description, but you just wanted a flashy thread name and lied to me to draw me in. :/

I hope the judge makes an example of this wrong doing and throws all evidence out of the trial.

EDIT: Never mind, I got to the point where the judge shilled for the copse

Texas. It is its own country.

Stores will let shoplifters leave the store with merchandise, because hiding goods and ALMOST walking out isn't a crime.

But really police exist to protect and serve. Protecting is important.

geo said:

Who will protect us from the protectors? The constitution? Ha!

I've learned from baby sitting, if you can prevent something bad from happening, you do it.

Anyway, here in my little town, police got a tip that a man with a gun was going to pick up his kid at school. The tip was from his wife saying she just served him divorce papers. So the police locked down the 2 schools in the area that are right next to each other and picked up the guy. He had a gun. He just wanted to take his kid out of school early and that's totally not a crime.

It just happened 2 days ago. I'll check newspapers for an actual article. Within 3 miles of me a lot of crazy shit happens.

Please don't use "Minority Report" in the title of a thread that doesn't involve awesomely scary technology. I live in Dallas, too, so this was extra disappointing.

Clonehunter said:

I have yet to see this movie, but it's based on a Philip K Dick story, so I might like it.

It's a Speilberg film, so expect lots of whimsy and awesome technology. Some of it's pretty silly, as in, 1960s silly, and makes me wonder why they weren't more forward thinking. But most of the tech is very interesting and believable, and the story is actually more involved than the short. It's one of the only sci-fis of the last decade that has had a long lasting impact on pop culture.

FWIW, in Greece a law was recently passed which allows our "IRS" to confiscate your bank deposits and other assets preemptively even if you haven't missed any fiscal payment deadlines, if they have "reasonable suspicion" that you "might" evade them.

OK, so what is the "relevance" of this? I mean, can we expect other states to follow this example, or is this an instance of "only in Texas"?

Maes said:

FWIW, in Greece a law was recently passed which allows our "IRS" to confiscate your bank deposits and other assets preemptively even if you haven't missed any fiscal payment deadlines, if they have "reasonable suspicion" that you "might" evade them.

You have got to be kidding.

geo said:

Texas. It is its own country.

Stores will let shoplifters leave the store with merchandise, because hiding goods and ALMOST walking out isn't a crime.

Protecting because YOU WANT TO is one thing. Doing so just to get a paycheck is fucked up and assbackwards.

Zed said:

You have got to be kidding.

No, I'm not.

This bill, along with many others along these lines, was voted on Sat 20 Dec 2013.

Of course, Greece being Greece, the most probable way it will ever be enforced, will be for you to receive a private visit by the tax officer who will "inform" you of the impending problem, and ask you to make a discreet under-the-table payment to "make it go away". Tax-free, of course.

If they want to actually apply it, they are not even obliged to warn you -the reasoning being that you'd withdraw your money/sell your assets before they could seize them.

Maes said:

If they want to actually apply it, they are not even obliged to warn you -the reasoning being that you'd withdraw your money/sell your assets before they could seize them.

I imagine that on a near daily basis Maes and other fellow greeks get arrested for consorting with voodoo witchcraft like "computers", "internets" and "electricitys". Shit, he may even own a horse-less carriage.

If tracking and stopping people who sell things is beyond the ability of greek law enforcement, then you all may as well give up and move to albania or italy or someplace. Jesus christ...

GoatLord said:

Examples please?

When was the last time anyone has parodied or referenced Minority Report? This film is like A.i. i.e. forgotten.

Maes said:

I could actually see some American states adopting like this. They have already made exceptions in some cases. I remember one state made it legal fro cops to invade a home without warrant if they suspect you have having drugs -the reasoning being that you'd destroy/dispose of your narcotics before they could obtain a warrant.

Quast said:

I imagine that on a near daily basis Maes and other fellow greeks get arrested for consorting with voodoo witchcraft like "computers", "internets" and "electricitys". Shit, he may even own a horse-less carriage.

The truth is that the "lawmakers" and law enforcement job would be made easier if people didn't have access to outside information, comparison with other countries etc., which is the only thing keeping the whole shebang from becoming an actual banana republic. After all, most of the "reforms" they are trying to pass would only be applicable verbatim in total dictatorships and/or banana republics, which the IMF has a lot of experience with.