Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megamur

GUS in Chocolate Doom

I've heard that Chocolate Doom now has pseudo-emulation of Gravis UltraSound. That's great! ...Except I have no idea how to make it work. There doesn't seem to be any documentation for it yet.

I go to the sound configuration, and change the music to "GUS (emulated)," but the music just sounds like regular MIDI when I start up the game. There's a "GUS patch path" bar, but what exactly is a GUS patch and where can I get one? Do I need one to make the GUS emulation work?

Help would be appreciated. Thank you!

(I realize there's already a Chocolate Doom thread, but I assume that's more for development/bug reports than people needing technical assistance.)

Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks like you'll need to be running Timidity as well. The "GUS patch path" is probably wherever you happen to have installed this patch set.

Yes, that did it. Just have to dump all the files contained in that ZIP file into a folder, then type in the path to the folder in the GUS patch path bar.

Thank you!

Though it's not written about Chocolate, this page features some useful info about GUS and Doom. I suppose the Doom Wiki will need a page too, like there is one for OPL, though I'd rather wait for it to become officially supported in Chocolate Doom (or another port) first.

And hey, if you're using GUS emulation now, try this map. :)

The pseudo-emulation is kind of a hack (it's just an autogenerated Timidity config) though it seems to work quite well. It definitely needs to be better documented though.

Probably the best thing to do is change README.OPL into README.music and put the GUS instructions in there.