Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Release: Suitcase of Gor (Former D2Redux)

SUITCASE OF GOR : Formerly Doom 2 Redux
Alfonzo wouldn't stop pestering me to release my first maps instead of deleting them so here is Suitcase of Gor. My first 22 maps. They suck and I'm sorry for wasting your time with this garbage. This was originally called D2Redux so all the maps are based on the original map, because when I first started mapping I was an uninspired mong (so exactly the same as I am now).

Includes 22 maps (Maps 1-15, 32, and 21-26). I left the music for the maps I never made because I'm extremely lazy and didn't feel like removing it and if you use your imagination you can pretend to play the map I would have made to go there. (Hint: it would suck, have crappy detailing, and be overly cramped.)

OH LOOK IT'S FINALLY ON IDGAMES.

Here are some screenshots:

P.S. I do legitimately hate these maps, I am not joking or trying to be funny when I say they suck. I have nothing but disdain for these maps and if not for Alfonzo I would have deleted them years ago. If you like them well, good for you.

P.S.S. For those curious in what order the maps were made. Map 4 is my first map ever, then Map 2, then Maps 21 to 26 then the rest in order from 1 to 15.

The Boulder said:

I had played the demo of this in 2011. Did you make the existing levels worse? If not then they far from suck. :D

No they're the same maps as before, they sucked then and they still suck now.

Take yer defeatist attitude and shove it up yer sphincter!

Actually, I should probably spend less time complaining and more time actually playing this wad for once, since I never got around to doing a full run and whatnot.

Well, it seems that 2013 is a year of terribly BAD megawads... first BTSX and now this.... at least we got even some jewels like WooO megawad.

I am still going to download this because it got pizza lava... and I enjoy good pizza.

I thought you deleted these (thats what I thought I heard in that episode where your interviewed jimmy and snakes)? or did you actually delete your original stuff and then replace them with these?

40oz said:

I thought you deleted these (thats what I thought I heard in that episode where your interviewed jimmy and snakes)? or did you actually delete your original stuff and then replace them with these?

No I was going to delete these, but dew and Alfonzo demanded that I keep them.

Never delete anything.

I can't be the only one that may find value in something old and crappy at some point elsewhere, right?

Jayextee said:

Never delete anything.

I can't be the only one that may find value in something old and crappy at some point elsewhere, right?

Nope, it's shit. Shit needs to be thrown out.

BTW link in the OP updated, I uploaded the wrong copy, still had an invalid thing in 24 and 25 (forgot to check all difficulty settings for the old random new monsters I threw in when I was first fucking around with Zdoom) so they'd crash in Boom.

Oh thank God, I was hoping this shit would see the light of day, maybe now it will properly decompose

I found the first post inconsistent and thus unconvincing. First you say "this sucks, don't download", then you show million screenshots to get people interested. Why would you demonstrate shit so much? You should have used my style of presenting wads imo: a link, 10-15 words maximum and of course no whorish screenshots. Or, you could have explained that Alfonzo not only forced you to publish shit but to whore it out too. That post needs more work.

edit: map22 is broken I guess? can't get out of the first room

Memfis said:

I found the first post inconsistent and thus unconvincing. First you say "this sucks, don't download", then you show million screenshots to get people interested. Why would you demonstrate shit so much?

Basic fake self-depreciation technique to get people to tell him "wow, your shit is made of gold, you are teh awsum". :p

Dunno, memfis' way of self-deprecation is extremely annoying and fake as well. It just doesn't work no matter what, so why not play along.

EDIT: Afaik, Tarns' reason for "hating" d2redux is that he outgrew it before he could finish it when he joined the btsx and twid teams. There truly wasn't much planning behind this release, see here.

Eek, there are zdoomisms everywhere (map22 can't get out of the first room, map23 stuck mastermind, stuck revenant in plasmagun room, you get stuck at the end between yellow bars, some silliness with infinitely tall objects), that's a shame.

I can see the homages in maps 01 and 03... it's usually just a few rooms or areas, but they're there. Some of 03's might not have even noticed had I not been looking out for 'em.

MAP02, on the other hand, is an easily recognizable mashup of not only IWAD MAP02, but also E1M2 and even a Plutonia MAP02 reference. Interesting.

Memfis said:

Eek, there are zdoomisms everywhere (map22 can't get out of the first room, map23 stuck mastermind, stuck revenant in plasmagun room, you get stuck at the end between yellow bars, some silliness with infinitely tall objects), that's a shame.

Because they were originally Zdoom maps that literally never got playtested. Zdoomisms should only be present in 21-26.

Edit: No dew I hate it because the layouts suck, the detailing sucks, a lot of the maps are way too cramped (2, 4, 6, 11, 14, 21-26), and overall I just really dislike each map.

I wanna steal your brown skies, may I? Where are they from? Downloading, btw.

edit: played first two maps.

Gez said:

tell him "wow, your shit is made of gold

Well, your shit is made of gold. Good that Alfonso didn't let you constipate this ;)

Updated so that 21-26 are actually boom compat, I was going to leave them horribly broken as a testament to how much they suck and I hate them, but the ghost of deathzor and his proclamations of source port failures forced me to do it. I'm sure something is still broken in them.

https://www.mediafire.com/?jlm88ahn4g67gl5

Thanks for taking your time to do that, now I can enjoy these maps in my fav port. :)

edit:
if something forces you to update the wad again...
map22 - thing 224 is stuck in thing 226.
map24 - "R_FlatNumForName: METAL_C not found". also infinitely tall thing 30 is kinda evil hehe.

Yeah, I don't like Tarnsy's attitude either, but it's cool to see this being relesed. Do/did you like playing them when you made them? My first maps are pretty lame, but I still like playing them cuz that's why I made them.

-EDIT-

I honestly think there are some cool levels in here, but I'm not a fan of anything past 15 in general.

FDAs for maps 01-15 recorded with the first version (Tarnsman didn't mention anything about these maps being changed in his update, so I doubt they'll desync), 3 deaths over the course of them all iirc. 15 is unfinished because lift in sector 490 is fucked up in -cl 9. Can't see why, but it is. Not a fan of this map at all, however, feels completely unbalanced.

The most competent remake to date, some maps are better, some are worse, well worth checking out overall. Then again, for the first maps (since many of them are) these are superb even despite being secondary in relation to original content.

I'll hesitate on playing the next bunch so far then if there is indeed that much of zdoomish garbage, hopefully it gets fixed soon enough.

I played the first 3 maps and, to be honest, I really wanted something to razz you about just to pay you back for not liking Jason Fowler's awesome "Home Sweet Home" in Realm of Chaos. Alas, I could not honestly find it within myself to dislike anything about these maps other than their, IMO, too-tight ammo supply. Coulda done with more health, too. Spent way too much time using the pistol in the first couple maps, and too much use of the chainsaw in all of them -- including against Sergeants and, once, a Chaingunner, to suit my fancy. But still, I only died twice -- once apiece on Map02 and Map03 -- it's just that I spent a lot of time at low health and close to zero ammo, so I felt . . . uncomfortable.

And that's not a bad thing in Doom, actually, so I have to say I had fun in these maps that you say are "shit." Me, I enjoyed the layouts, lots of loopy interconnections, just like you're supposed to do, especially in Map01 with all its sneaky ways of attacking various areas. I liked "dat bitty lighting," too. ;D I liked the detailing, also, especially those rounded Pipewal1s starting in Map02. Nice use of DBs curve tool. I still tend to do it the old-fashioned way. Maybe I'll change that.

I never imagined that I'd be so happy with 3 maps loaded to the gills with Plutonia Brick. Talk about sticking to a theme! :D But that brick really loves gradient lighting, so it turned out very cool.

I didn't realize until Map02 that you were recreating the IWAD maps, and I really enjoyed your mash-up of Underhalls and Nuclear Plant. And the blue key trap, I remember thinking, "Oh, shit, not The Shaft from MM2 when I have hardly any health or ammo!" But yes, it was the ever-popular The Shaft. You were more merciful than Jeremy Statz, so I survived. My death on this map came in one of the battles with Chaingunners in the final third of the map.

Map03, quite interesting. In some ways, seemed like a mash-up of The Gantlet and one of the Evilution maps. The higher population of Chaingunners made this a bit hectic and sweat-inducing throughout and I was well-pleased overall. I died first time through on the rocket launcher trap, though I shouldn't have. I guess it was poetic justice for me, 'ey? ;D

This was the first map where I didn't find any secrets. I found 50% secrets on the first two maps. My Map02 find was the much-needed Soulsphere.

Okay, I'm at a loss as to why you hate these maps so much. It's almost as bad as Miley Cyrus putting shade on her old rock 'n roll music. So call me crazy, but I like these. I decided to stop at the beginning of Map04 so I could properly savor your first map when I have a little more time. Indeed, it's gonna take me awhile to get through all of these, but I'll keep you posted.

And my regards to Alfonzo for insisting that you keep and release these maps. I still haven't given up hope that I'll find something I hate, either. ;D